The Landscape Photography Thread

Big Sur dropping down out of the cloud.

med_gallery_1903_757_907164.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Andy, the first is really nice! Very, very nice!
:) High praise from a skilled photographer.

I submitted the shot to the FredMiranda site and got a bit of an education from the locals :unsure: There's a very high level of expertise there.
I'm learning about some new photoshop skills, like luminosity masks to help process high dynamic images like this.
I like the comp and want to return under more favorable lighting, when I will hopefully do a better job of bracketing the exposures.
That's what I like about pursuing photography, the evolution never stops!

Lighthawk said:
:) High praise from a skilled photographer.

I submitted the shot to the FredMiranda site and got a bit of an education from the locals :unsure: There's a very high level of expertise there.
I'm learning about some new photoshop skills, like luminosity masks to help process high dynamic images like this.
I like the comp and want to return under more favorable lighting, when I will hopefully do a better job of bracketing the exposures.
That's what I like about pursuing photography, the evolution never stops!
Andy, check out Tony Kuyper's Luminosity Painting tutorial on his website. I created actions (CS 5 & 6) based on them, which only took me about a week of beating my head against the wall. If you can't find the tutorial, send me a note, and I will get the link. I could also share the actions.

I wouldn't let the 'locals' get to you. I find that photographers are much like flyfishers. Too many people get wrapped up in perfection, and just forget about being successful.

And... thanks for the kind words. You're pretty skilled yourself.

Another shot from the visit to The Painted Hills last week. Taken with a Nikon D800 and Nikkor 500/4. Who says that big lenses can't do landscape? I would like to blow this one up to 100%, which is about 16x24.

Colors, Lines and Angles.

14062188618_6f4728c0d8_c.jpg

It works for me. The sunlit juniper in the foreground helps balance the dark FG. Killer hills with golden hour color, and love the clouds. Did you use a filter?

Andy, no filters on this shot. I used a PS trick to bring the clouds out. Duplicate the background layer, change the blending mode to 'multiply', then reduce the opacity until you get the effect that looks most real. Then, mask out any areas where you don't want that effect.

Thanks WS. I thought maybe a polarizing filter (CP) had been used.
Nice work with the blending & masking modes.

Sounds like you use Bridge / ACR to get there. I'm slightly different in my workflow, using LR for most of my work, but sending images to Photoshop CC for heavier processing.

Video is private, can not view. Can you change to unlisted or public.

Thanks Bill

Gotcha. Still a newbie at youtube and figuring out if it's something to pursue. :oops:
Vid should now be public. It's only 11 sec long. Hope you will enjoy a quick slice of Nevada stargazing.

Nevada Skies

If anyone knows how to embed the youtube videos directly, I'm interested to learn.
I know Gene has figured it out

Lighthawk said:
...If anyone knows how to embed the youtube videos directly, I'm interested to learn....
Here's how -- see the screenshot below:

you-tube-share-1.jpg
  1. Click on "Share", "Share this video" (not "Embed")
  2. Copy the URL that's in the box.
  3. Paste that directly into the post.
Voilà

http://youtu.be/48Urge-kvsU

I wanna see more.........

Pretty cool what I did see. How many shots and how much time delay between images? Total time from start to finish?

Back
Top Bottom