The Teds have a new Hawk

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
It was Barking Spider’s fault.
We bought our FWC Hawk new in 2003. We always camped but the amount of camping increased several fold with the convenience of our camper. Because of it, we discovered Wander the West. Because of Wander the West, we have made many new friends. Not just acquaintances, good friends.

Like most FWC owners, we made a number of modifications over the years. We recently got the camper to what we considered complete. From here on out we would have no camper projects, just fun times in it. The last thing on our mind was to get rid of it.

We went camping for a beautiful weekend at Salt Point with the Barking Spiders. We enjoyed some fishing, hiking on the coast, watching big surf, and sharing wine in their camper. Their camper that he had just converted from a couch to a side dinette. We liked sitting by the window as opposed to having our back to the window when on our couch.

“It is easy” he said, “It only took me three days. You can do it.”

Yes, but we would still have the small water tank, the low top over the bed, the older heater that is noisy and less efficient – all those things the new campers had that we could not mod on ours.

“Well then” he said, “You’ll just have to start over. You can sell yours for almost what you paid for it. Get a new one.”

We have watched with amazement how much our campers sell for used and knew he was right about selling it for a good price. And I had read the recent thread about camper financing where rayct77 mentioned refying a vehicle for a loan. Never heard about that before. Mrs. Ted and I drove home from camping discussing the idea. We talked to Stan and Mike at FWC and they patiently answered our questions over a couple of weeks. We talked to our credit union.

That was two months ago. We were actually a little emotional as we watched our 2003 go down the road with it’s new owners. But our 2014 new baby is home. We got another Hawk. Options include new legs, solar plug on top, the 110 liter fridge, furnace, powered roof vent, front opening window, awning, Yakima tracks, rear wall steps, exterior down lights, auxiliary battery system with two batteries, gas strut roof assists (more on this later), side dinette, and outside shower (without the water heater).

gallery_176_733_512080.jpg

gallery_176_733_262595.jpg

The very first modification. Knew I have been saving that sticker for years for a reason.
gallery_176_733_630107.jpg

Some of the things we really like about the new camper:
The new cabinet layout – heater no longer located below the fridge. Doors as opposed to the sliders that FWC used to use (I hated those). We are able to use the stove while the bed is still set up (I usually get up before Mrs. Ted). And three drawers instead of one.

gallery_176_733_314841.jpg

Notice the extra bed cushions can stay on the bed even when the top comes down. And there is room for our bedding. This was a huge plus for us. Before we always had to break down our sleeping area before dropping the top. On multi-day/multi-location trips or when getting up early to go see wolves in Yellowstone this was a time consuming PITA. Plus storing the cushions, sleeping bags, and pillows took a lot of space. Now we can leave all of that up top saving us time and storage space.

gallery_176_733_161604.jpg

Awesome writeup Ted, and that's a good looking setup you have. I have a fellow wanderer (doesn't post much) here in Klamath Falls who also just took delivery of a new Hawk last week. His setup looks very similar to yours and we can't wait to do a mini-WTW trip somewhere in Oregon or NorCal.

Now, how can I get one of those stickers? I've looked all over this site with no luck...

Many people know IN-N-OUT has a not so secret menu. Turns out FWC has “secret” options as well. Here you see the side dinette decked out in the Lana Bronze upholstery. This is not an option shown on the FWC website but available on a limited basis.

gallery_176_733_438430.jpg

FWC offers a “Ready to go” package. Another secret option is the “Magellan package” or (your name here) package. This provides a stocked fridge and wine cellar as seen in the next two photos. Note – this is a very expensive option. You have to cover all expenses for Tom and Celeste to visit the wine country for a weekend selecting the appropriate items that match your taste.

gallery_176_733_231280.jpg

gallery_176_733_678292.jpg

The next set of photos show the new gas strut roof assist mounts FWC is using. IMO, these are very impressive. FWC used to charge $250 for the two interior struts and $500 for the four exterior struts. Now they are doing the four exterior struts for only $325 using this great new mounting system. Instead of the brackets the old mounts used, these are mounted right into the frame providing a very strong and clean mount for the struts. We had intended to add our own struts as a mod but when I saw this we immediately changed our mind and had FWC do them. Stan or Mike can probably add some details on this.

gallery_176_733_452241.jpg

gallery_176_733_477497.jpg

gallery_176_733_363765.jpg

gallery_176_733_377798.jpg

So now that the camper is here, the mods have started. I am intimidated by electrical work. So this weekend Ski3pin and Barking Spider installed the solar panel and charge controller. This involved cutting into our new camper. Mrs. Ted and I could not bear to witness this and had to leave. Here you see Ski3pin doing the hard work and the hole he cut while The Lady was busy assuring us all would be well. Turns out Ski and Barking Spider are highly skilled and The Lady was correct.

gallery_176_733_116279.jpg

Some small mods are yet to be done. Most of which were on our old camper. A digital thermostat, a stove igniter, mounting the Adventure Trailers can holder, things like that. We look forward to many years of enjoying this camper, much like we had with the previous one.

Looks great Ted. Your reasons for selling and buying new mirrors why I sold my 2002 Hawk, no way to fix that short cabover. Looking forward to saying hello at the FWC Rally.

Bill Harr

Congrats Ted, that thing looks nice. I now officially have camper envy. :D Look forward to seeing it in action.

Wow-neat, like the cabinets! Why no hot water heater-I'm in love with mine and am glad they talked me into it? Wine racks, civilized travel no less! You guys make me want to get the dinette (I wonder if they are big enough for "Bob" to sleep on in comfort)and struts! Great adventures are ahead that's for sure. Your FWC sure looks nice-Enjoy it and have many adventures!

Smoke

Thanks for the congrats. Looking forward to getting out in it. Weather isn't looking too good this weekend but may just have to go anyway.

Kilroy, the original owner of WTW made stickers (and T-shirts) but none have been available since the website changed hands. I have had that sticker in a drawer for probably five or six years.

Ray, hang in there. Mike pointed out your camper while we were there. You will have it soon and in plenty of time to get a lot of use out of it this year.

Smoke, the reason we wanted the outdoor shower is for Mrs. Ted to wash her hair. Before this was done in the sink which was uncomfortable and awkward. She's tough and can handle cold water when just doing her hair. And we didn't like the loss of storage or the maintenance that comes with a water heater. They are listed together in the options, so this was one of the many questions we had for Stan and Mike - can we get this without getting that?

and outside shower (without the water heater).

:oops: Sounds . . . .um . . . . efficient! ;)

Congrats on the new rig Mr & Mrs. Ted!

Love your new Hawk Ted. Especially that the bedding can be left on when the roof is lowered.
Wish I could leave mine on. Now that we are using our Eagle more I sometimes "wish" I bought the full Hawk and a larger truck !!

Course I did't have the money at the time......Still buying Lotto tickets.....always hope.

In all these years never used my outdoor shower :oops: -but again maybe that's why no one except my dog wants to go camping with me :p ! But I still love not having to heat my water on the stove top or fire---but again maybe that' a getting old thing and/or ---a lazy thing :D, but your setup sure looks sweet & can't wait to see it out in the wilds making the west look better. Got to really check out those struts thou--- :giggle: !

Smoke

Nothing like a well stocked fridge. Is that a seamless roof they are using now? Congrats, nice looking rig.

I guess mum's not the word anymore.
Looks great, use it often and in good health.
Congrats !

Smokecreek1 said:
In all these years never used my outdoor shower :oops:
Have used it more for my dish washing station than as a shower so far. I always, well almost, plug in the shower head when we set up. It's nice to have an outside water source ready.

Back
Top Bottom