The Teds have a new Hawk

I think I need to check out Ted's wine cellar before I decide if need one of my own. Much likeage :)

(lurker for awhile, new to posting)

Seeing the quality of ale that is part of the personalized stocking service, I would say it's a good investment!

Reading these threads aren't making it very easy to keep from pulling the trigger on one of these!

Thanks again for the continued good wishes. Weather isn't looking too good this weekend but we feel the need to take the camper out anyway. I guess it will be a good check for leaks. Besides, like Alamo said, it will look better somewhere other than the driveway.

DanT, mums no longer the word. I was holding off on an announcement for two reasons. We were pretty excited about the new camper and I didn't want to point out the reasons we were wanting to get a new one before I sold our other camper. As it was, three people that expressed an interest in our camper decided to go with a new one themselves. Apparently I don't work in sales. And once we did put it up for sale, history has shown that it would sell quickly. We didn't want to go five weeks without a camper so we waited until our new one was close to being finished so we could still get some trips in.

Murphy744 and Bad Habit (welcome to the forum BTW), pull that trigger. When I figured the cost of our camper plus upgrades minus the price we got for it, it only cost us about $300 a year. For 20 - 30 trips a year! I spent more in a single weekend renting a trailer to take my Father camping. And RC Pilot Jim, we were able to do this and I am buying those tickets too. Of course, I'd probably move up to an XP if that works.

Beach, yes, you can see part of the seamless roof in the shot of the roof assist strut. I can get better shots of it if you would like. I mounted our solar panel directly to the rack tracks using a method Stan at FWC showed me.

Craig, I thought you were a beer drinker, not a wine drinker. As to the Pliny in the fridge - all the more reason to attend the FWC rally in April. By my calcs it is only 13 miles from the campground to the brewery. I have a field trip suggestion for Saturday!

The Hawk looks great Ted. Ours is a month and change away from delivery and we are getting excited. Looking at your pictures gives me a better feel how ours will look. Enjoy the spring like weather.

Come on down to Jalama Beach Ted, and enjoy watching the surfers do their thing.
Watched a couple wind surfers enjoying the gentle ocean breeze this afternoon.
Surf is really great and quite a few folks in the water.
It's a quick and scenic 6 hour drive and odds are there will be some other
WTW folks here also. I'll even let you experience some real booze..I have a new
bottle of Gentleman Jack and the prize, a new bottle of "Angels Envy", recently
selected as one of the 10 best bourbon's in the world!! A great reason to test out
That new camper :) I should also add, it's about 6:55 pm and its 66 in camper
without the heater running.

That is quite the offer Bob, thank you. Good enough to get me to check the forecast for there. Looks like rain Saturday. And six hours each way is a bit much for a weekend. Looks like the storm is coming in from the northwest, so heading in that direction will get us in good weather by Saturday AM. I'm thinking Van Damme with some wine tasting along the way. Maybe I can convince Mrs. Ted to stop in Santa Rosa for a Pliny resupply. But I'm going to have to look up Angels Envy. With a name like that, it has to be good!

The Ted's new beast inspired me to take a long look at the FWC website to see the latest changes and wow, they have added so many neat things since I bought my new Granby in 05! It's almost like when you start adding up the new things that I could add you almost think about getting a new one. That's great for FWC, but not for my retirement check!, so me thinks getting a few new things will not hurt, right? Enjoy it the Ted's it sure is nice wine racks all all!

Smoke

Ted,

In the close up photos of the rear exterior lift assist, is the round "track" at the top-rear of the camper for the FWC rear awning?

If it is:

How do you like awning?
Is it a pain to set up?
Where do you keep the awning, poles and guylines when driving?

I'm planning to order a Hawk in the next month or so and debating the rear awning option. Thanks.

Dagwood

Hi Dagwood,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming order. I believe that is called C Channel and, yes, it is for mounting the rear awning. However, we did not order that option. My guess is FWC installs that on all of their campers, much like they prewire for options such as solar or hot water heaters whether you get them or not.

But I did install C Channel on our previous camper and had a home made rear awning. I found it to be a pain to haul and store the awning and poles so just stopped bringing it. But my home made awning wasn't as well done as FWC's, so hopefully others that have ordered that option will chime in.

Hi Dagwood,

I ordered the rear awning when I bought my 2012 Hawk. A week later after ordering among other options, I questioned the need for the rear awning and almost called FWC to cancel it. Now after setting it up several times I'm glad I have it. It works very well keeping things dry underneath and the rain out of the camper (door open, screen door closed) during inclement weather. I sometimes set it up in good weather just to enhance the shade factor on those sunny hot days. When set up, back door open, I can sit on the floor just inside my camper, legs dangling while staying dry on those warm rainy days. Set up takes ~5 min. once to get the routine down. Poles can be used to hang things on to dry, etc. The tarp is made of the same material as the sides. Storing the poles, just slide them into canal pockets sewn on the underside of the tarp. I store the tarp, two straps/nob fasteners and poles in a 4" PVC tube mounted on the outside.
Happy with the awning and I'm sure you will be as well.

explorer said:
Hi Dagwood,

I ordered the rear awning when I bought my 2012 Hawk. A week later after ordering among other options, I questioned the need for the rear awning and almost called FWC to cancel it. Now after setting it up several times I'm glad I have it. It works very well keeping things dry underneath and the rain out of the camper (door open, screen door closed) during inclement weather. I sometimes set it up in good weather just to enhance the shade factor on those sunny hot days. When set up, back door open, I can sit on the floor just inside my camper, legs dangling while staying dry on those warm rainy days. Set up takes ~5 min. once to get the routine down. Poles can be used to hang things on to dry, etc. The tarp is made of the same material as the sides. Storing the poles, just slide them into canal pockets sewn on the underside of the tarp. I store the tarp, two straps/nob fasteners and poles in a 4" PVC tube mounted on the outside.
Happy with the awning and I'm sure you will be as well.
Any pictures of the PVC storage tube and how it's mounted?

Photo of rear awning deployed and PVC storage tubes.
(formally explorer)

Attachments

• 038 (480x640).jpg
    038 (480x640).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 303
Another echo of congratulations.
When I first saw the fabric on the cushions I thought it looked unique and really well done. Then I read your comments about it.

Back
Top Bottom