The Wildlife Photography Thread

_D4S5603-Edit.jpg

I'm taking a break from a bit of home maintenance, so decided to shoot some of the Orange-crowned Warblers that are trilling all around the house. Cute, but noisy little devils...

16491875424_1b4ba10543_c.jpg

17113659751_b36aaba417_c.jpg

Early springtime has attracted a nesting pair of western bluebirds to my office. I built a few bluebird boxes a several years ago and have had activity three out of four years now. The nest was raided (racoon?) the first year, but successfully fledged the second year. The site is partially shaded in our back lot next to the golf course in Grass Valley.

These shots are from before our little spring snow storm last week. Ms. Bluebird was busy bringing grasses and other nesting materials into the box while Mr. BB watched and supervised. They don't seem to mind Callie, my cattle dog/border mix, who hangs out on a dog run most days as close as five or ten feet from the nest.

The snow chased the birds away for a few days, but today I saw them and the female went into the box and stayed. So she's either laying eggs or sitting on them.

Here is Mr. BB in his fine colors

And the Mrs. in her paler form with almost apricot colored breast. I managed to place pink flowering dogwood behind her.

A sharp eye will spot damage to the chain link fence. We've had random bear visits several times over the last dozen years. I think this happened during one of those events.

This little feller was hamming it up for the camera. Lawson's Landing about a quarter mile from the pier. I assume mama was busy stealing bait from the crabbers.

Craig, very cool. Someday, I hope to get down to see the elephant seals. Edit: I just noticed the sea lion was tagged. Interesting!

I got lucky today. The Bride had lunch plans with a friend, so I headed out to Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge. I usually can find and photograph American Bitterns (Botaurus lentiginosus), but always as they slink and skulk about in the reeds. Today, they were either fighting over turf, or it is that special time of year again. There were three or four that were in the air and hassling one another. I finally got my flight shot.

17227582781_3da875a41d_c.jpg

Very nice. Even Roger T Peterson would have appreciated that. Great green legs and feet and the layers of feathers are very clear in the wings.

Paul

Awesome shot, Steve! You got a perfect display, well captured with the long and fast glass. Curious about shutter and iso?

Yes a Yellowstone trip is definitely needed.
Two of my favorite shots,taken at T R national park.
Hope to get to Yellowstone in May.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN5688.jpg
    DSCN5688.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN5691.jpg
    DSCN5691.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 16
Just to get things started in the new forum, I thought I would toss out a photo of a female red-wing. The females aren't the gaudiest, but they're so beautiful...

16638999473_82b02ac871_c.jpg

I arrived at work this morning to see Mr. & Mrs. Bluebird running a steady train of insect fodder for the young uns'. I think they must have hatched two weeks ago. I can hear the young cheeping when mom or dad leaves after dropping off the fast food.

My fence runs along the golf course where there are shade trees with a putting green with sunny grass. A drainage runs my back line which can flood in heavy rain. There's a cattail wetlands buffer and berry bushes. Killdeer nest in the margins. House finches and blackbirds abound. I have a few acorn woodpeckers too. Most years there's an Anna hummingbird that holds sentry on a high point tree. Today was unusual because I spotted a red-headed sapsucker working on a tree and got a few shots.

I needed a break from getting the house ready to sell. Here's a shot from the back deck of a nice male rufous hummingbird in a hover. There was a second male in the area, and he was protecting turf.

Just a blurrrrr

16762301974_bde318a945_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom