The Wildlife Photography Thread

We got a quick trip up to our favorite, Sierra Valley for some birding and boating. Blog to follow, per Susan. :)

But, I'll jump ahead and share some of my shots.

Sandhill cranes are some of our favorites. Their call can be heard from a great distance. Earlier this spring I observed large flocks moving up the glacial valleys, crossing from the Central Valley to the East Side.

This couple was not happy with Mr. Redwing and told him to bugger off.

Taking flight

American pelican
We also have recently observed several large flocks flying up over the western sierra at 6,000' elevation. They visit Tahoe, Lake Davis, Pyramid Lake, possible Walker Lake in the breeding migration. I have seen large groups over Truckee while in transit.
The males grown this appendage on their beak during mating season.

They have an incredible wingspan, second only to the California Condor, reaching 96 - 120".

This here boy needs to join Jenny Craig...

18176887445_13e3216f79.jpg

It was pretty dark where I was shooting, but other than over sharpened, this didn't come out too bad. I took a break from painting, and slipped out to one of my hides to see if I could get some good shots of a Swainson's thrush. No joy on the thrush, but this neat little Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) male was really curious. He set down on a blackberry vine, only to have it drop out from under him. Either the bird needs to lose weight, or the vine is pretty wimpy.

And, the newest rat with wings in Oregon. Actually, a very beautiful bird, but they are everywhere now.

18178775611_3db88a4510.jpg

Nice BIF's, Steve.
I have yet to get a hummer shot. They don't usually give much time to acquire focus.
The ring-necked dove(?) is nice. We've got them in Gold Country foothills too.

Andy, thanks for the kind words. The dove is an invasive species, the Eurasian Collared Dove. I believe it was introduced by people releasing them at weddings, or at least that's the urban legend. I just hope they don't turn into the latest starling. Here on the Oregon coast, they are becoming a predominant species.

One more hummingbird shot... The Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufous) Male. Taken in deep shadow at just over minimum focusing range.

18195168802_6ea28b0aea_z.jpg

Steve,

Have you made a hummingbird photography pilgrimage to Ecuador? More than 130 species in an area about the size of Colorado.

Just saying. There are hummingbird photo tours. Discovered that while cerfing web for telephotos and bird photography. Too bad I'm not filthy rich. Found many ways to spend money. :)

You seem to have many hummingbirds around your place. I have 8 or 10 Eurasian Collared doves around my yard. Noisy buggers. The native Mourning Dove has all but disappeared.

Paul

A few more from Sierra Valley:

White faced Ibis- we laughed that the flocks hiding in the bushes sounded like pigs oinking. :D

While driving along the farm road a small heron popped up out of the ditch and flew past my passenger side. I jumped out of the truck with camera and ran around the back of the camper. There he was, moving fast as I tried to acquire focus. He circled and I pivoted, training my lens and resetting focus a few times.

Black crowned night heron

Andy, cool shots of the ibis and night heron! I wonder if your grunting pigs were Virginia rail...!

PaulT, Mr. 3pin: thanks for the kind words!

Thanks PaulT, Ski and WS.
The ibis do have this grunting, oinking sound, even when flying off as if disturbed.
Whatbird.com lists their call as

Voice Text
"oink", "graa-graa-graa"

Apparently, they are in decline. I find them to be very unusual birds in fight and profile.
A congregation, or stand or wedge of ibis in silhouette look a bit like an Escher drawing to me.

Memorial Day weekend out at Hart Mtn Antelope Refuge. Ran across a few surly bucks with lots of attitude. Of course I neglected to put on my longer tele as we were driving off to go hiking. This is with my 24-120 at full zoom and a fair bit of cropping.

Attachments

• HartMemDay3_JDavisweb (1 of 1).jpg
    HartMemDay3_JDavisweb (1 of 1).jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 29
Shot yesterday in Olympic National Park after a brutal hike up Mount Ellinore. Drove up Friday night and ended up doing some stealth camping back in the forest with a hike up the following morning. 2500 foot elevation gain in 1.6 miles. My legs are feeling it today. Liked this shot with the little guy taking a nap.

GoatOlympic-20-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom