The Wildlife Photography Thread

Man, that's sharp! Fast shutter speed too catching the paw and splash without blur. I wouldn't want to be a salmon in that river.

Snakes were out in abundance on this last week of summer. We found this guy while driving up Grouse Ridge at 7,000' in the northern Sierra. He was across the road when I stopped our subaru to take a snapshot. By the time I got my camera together he was coiled up under a tree, cooling eyeing me. With my short little telephoto lens this is as close as I felt comfortable. {heavy crop}

I have always wondered about rattlesnakes as few mention them yet everyone wanders where they live. Great shot. I'd be wary of him myself :)

We are at the base of Steens Mountain for a day or two. This morning, we went looking for color and feral horses. No luck on the horses, but the color in the aspens was nice, and near the summit, we found this stunning dark phase redtail...

21894698626_78a7dca3b6_c.jpg

Lighthawk.....really like the snake shot. The way the direct light is hitting the frame in different areas really makes the shot. Well done!

I do hate those things though. I never kill them like some people as they serve a vital role in nature, but do give them a wide berth. A friend of mine got bitten by one down in the Everglades once and he almost lost his hand. Always in fear that my little guy Petey is going to run up on one when we're out roaming around. In snake country though I don't let him run and am very vigilant even when he's on leash.

park said:
Lighthawk.....really like the snake shot.

In snake country though I don't let him run and am very vigilant even when he's on leash.
Thanks park. I'm liking the shot more myself, with the rattle being displayed from the coiled viper.
I shot with a smallish mirrorless camera using a mid-range zoom from about five feet away, while he hid under a bush.

I worry about our dog too. I've never had a dog get bitten, but have run into rattlers quite a few times in southern California and Baja.
We've avoided certain trails that have large populations of rattle snakes, since we hike with our dog.

I should title this one... "Irony"... It's opening day of deer season, Steens Mountain is literally crawling with hunters looking for a big buck, and this old boy is playing it safe. Down on the refuge, hanging with his harem.

21832037760_a3b43d20f4_c.jpg

Lighthawk said:
Thanks park. I'm liking the shot more myself, with the rattle being displayed from the coiled viper.
I shot with a smallish mirrorless camera using a mid-range zoom from about five feet away, while he hid under a bush.

I worry about our dog too. I've never had a dog get bitten, but have run into rattlers quite a few times in southern California and Baja.
We've avoided certain trails that have large populations of rattle snakes, since we hike with our dog.
If ever down in the Snake River drainage area outside of Joseph, Oregon be very diligent. The place is crawling with rattlers. I checked with my vet on this new rattler vaccine you can now get. If your dog gets popped it's supposed to help and give you more time to get to a vet. My vet told me considering the size of my little guy unless he gets bit in the parking lot, he doesn't have much of a chance.

I have a question for the knowledgeable out in the forum.
In going through my latest Yellowstone photos,I took a closer look at these shots of what we thought was a female moose but on closer look there are scars between the ears and eyes ,on both sides of the face,that look like this might be a young male that has lost his antlers early.
The question is could this be an early drop when the other and older males still have theirs?
Thanks Frank

Attachments

• DSCN7314.jpg
    DSCN7314.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN7316.jpg
    DSCN7316.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
Flaming Gorge NRA, home to all creatures Great and Small.

Firehole Canyon (Wyoming) campground neighbor:

gallery_5179_893_1241846.jpg

Canyon Rim (Utah) campground visitor:

gallery_5179_893_5420408.jpg

Yesterday was "raptors in the rain day" at the refuge (Ridgefield NWR, WA). Not the greatest shooting conditions, but it was nice to get out.

23078902665_3697a47b77_c.jpg

23076110335_909e8b3784_c.jpg

22657274307_c779173ed5_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom