The Wildlife Photography Thread

Taken a couple of weeks ago in Wrangell-Elias National Park.

WrangellPark-11-XL.jpg

Grey wolf - last week in Denali National Park. Up close and personal with this one. He slipped up on me after I witnessed him chasing a cow moose. Went up to see if I could find his tracks after the chase scene. I walked around for a few minutes and was placing the camera back in the backpack. When I look to my left, he's in the brush maybe 20 feet, staring at me. Never forget those eyes and how quietly he moved to that position. He was not there when I walked up to where the moose had crossed. Beautiful creature and was probably a once in a lifetime shot. The pictures were not taken with a big telephoto lens. I was close, very close in the second shot. Certainly not by choice but by circumstances.

In this first pic which was taken on the fly, you have to look hard to see the wolf on the right side as he blends in with the gravel creek bed. I was walking up the large gravel creek when I spotted the cow moose standing in the middle. Not going to shoot it as I had plenty of cow moose shots I changed my mind as the background looked good and I thought it would make a decent shot. Just as I was changing lens and standing back up from a kneeling position the moose bolted as the wolf broke out of the brush from the far side. I simply held the camera up and pressed and was lucky to get what I did.

DenaliWolf-5-XL.jpg

DenaliWolf-4-XL.jpg

Lighthawk said:
Love it. The fox looks rather thoughtful.
How far away were you?
About 30 feet. Showed up in my campsite. I think some idiot had been feeding him as he was pretty docile. Unless I approached him he wasn't too concerned about my presence. I finally ran him off with a shovel as I wanted to put the fear of humans back in him. Plus I didn't want Petey to go after him.

Thanks for the clarification about Mr. Fox.
But, much more impressive is the wolf story and photo.
Those eyes are unforgettable.

Shot from a kayak last weekend.
Stability is a bit tough, and I had the 70-200 mounted, so not a lot of reach.
On the positive side, you can paddle into position and let the breeze pull you right through the sweet spot of aligning your subject.

Loon Lake Osprey

This is about as good as I can get with a moderately sophisticated point-and-shoot camera. Ground squirrel near Upper Kananaskis Lake, Alberta Canada. Besides, what else would someone with my icon take a picture of?

gallery_5179_727_1355415.jpg

Back
Top Bottom