The Wildlife Photography Thread

Here's a green heron shot I took this past winter in the Everglades, it was very windy thus the ruffled feathers.

_D4S7375-Edit.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Yesterday was "raptors in the rain day" at the refuge (Ridgefield NWR, WA). Not the greatest shooting conditions, but it was nice to get out.

23078902665_3697a47b77_c.jpg

23076110335_909e8b3784_c.jpg

22657274307_c779173ed5_c.jpg

Love the #2 shot of the kestrel. Those are some cool little raptors, aka sparrowhawk.
#3 looks like a northern harrier, if I'm not mistaken. But what kind of hawk is #1? I'll guess Swainson, but I don't really know my hawks that well.

This is more a of a gear head question: Are you using a gimbal, monopod, handheld or truck mounted to support the big glass ;)

Charlie, that's an awesome shot of the green heron. They are kind of rare around here compared to GBH.
Nice to see birds from Florida in a different environment.

Lighthawk said:
Charlie, that's an awesome shot of the green heron. They are kind of rare around here compared to GBH.
Nice to see birds from Florida in a different environment.
Thanks Andy.We have lots of GBH around where I live but I usually don't see green herons except when I go to Florida. I try to go in late Feb or Early March when it's dry, few bugs, and the birds are clustered around the remaining water.

Lighthawk said:
Thanks, Stephen. Can you shoot with the engine running without diminishing IQ?
No, I shut the engine off if the lens is on the bag, especially when in the diesel. BTW, buy the buckwheat fill if you're not into weight lifting. I used pinto beans and rice, and it comes in at close to 20 pounds. I see that John has raised his prices. When I bought mine about 9 years ago, the bag was only $30.

Another trick is to buy or build a plate for the lens foot to make it slide smoothly on the bag. I had some aluminum stock, so bought a second quality Kirk clamp, and made my own. I think Naturescapes sells them for about $100.

4195365061_763bd62d31_z.jpg

A short Sunday trip to Yolo Wildlife Refuge was productive today. I was eager to try out my new-to-me 300/2.8 with a gimbal rig.

Located between Sacramento and Davis, the wildlife area is very accessible and no cost to visit. We saw some ibis in a partially flooded flat on the way in, but kept driving until I spotted a great egret perched in a tree. Time to take some photos.

_E6G4032-L.jpg

A northern harrier came towards us and the egret took off.
_E6G4076-L.jpg

A GBH was seen several times.
_E6G3969-XL.jpg

_E6G4168-L.jpg

As we turned the loop, the sun was behind us and the light improved. A group of black necked stilts posed in the reflective waters.

_E6G4332-L.jpg

_E6G4425-L.jpg

Several long billed curlews let me follow them down the levee, then a group of four were agitated at another raptor and flying in circles in front of us.

_E6G4382-L.jpg

Hand held
_E6G4616-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom