The Wildlife Photography Thread

Nice fish there, Stephen!

White faced Ibis, Sierra Valley
hand held from a Canoe with a nervous dog and cooperative paddle partner.

Andy, thanks for the kind words!

You're a brave man to take a camera in a canoe along with the pup! I haven't worked myself up to do that! Neat photos of the ibis!

I've been shooting from a kayak for almost five years now. It's been a great way to get close to the birds and align myself with the subject with the subtle drift of the boat. We have a pair of twelve-foot kayaks that weigh out at 50# each, made by Wilderness They are stable, flat water kayaks and there's room for a dog or a camera duffle in the cockpit.

I use the smallest expedition grade duffel TNF makes to stow my camera gear. I bought it on a 20% off sale and used my dividend. It's completely splash worthy with a heavy YKK zipper and has backpack straps which I use when we portage. I put a padded insert inside from a photo pack inside the duffel and have a piece of closed cell foam under that for extra protection. I have never seen any water get inside this duffel.

My camera bodies have been Canon 7D/II and 1D4 paired with up to 400mm lenses. All of these are considered weather-sealed; take that as you may. I carry a bandana and have mopped up moisture from spray, but if it's too rough I stow the camera in the duffel. If we're landing or departing, I keep the duffel zipped shut. If we hit very rough conditions, I put the duffel in the rear sealed hatch of the kayak.

My gear is insured and I use it. That has been my attitude about equipment all along. Gear is meant to be used and it might get scratched. Oh well.

gallery_5772_2_234450.jpg

We just photographed these grizzly bears in Jasper, Alberta
There were 2 cubs. They were adorable.
I would have liked to have captured a better quality photo, but I wanted to give them their space.
It was an honour just to be in their presence.

Lighthawk said:
I've been shooting from a kayak for almost five years now. It's been a great way to get close to the birds and align myself with the subject with the subtle drift of the boat. We have a pair of twelve-foot kayaks that weigh out at 50# each, made by Wilderness They are stable, flat water kayaks and there's room for a dog or a camera duffle in the cockpit.
I have a couple of Wilderness Systems "Ride"s; they are great stable boats and fun to shoot and flyfish from. I had a friend stand up and fish from one of them, although he did fall out when a tarpon went directly under him - but the kayak didn't tip over. ;)

The quality of these photos does not come close to the others posted here. But it is difficult to visit Yellowstone and not have some wildlife photos.
Far off Grizzly
gallery_176_1036_199355.jpg

Moose models are expensive, so we got the budget one.
gallery_176_1036_1185088.jpg

Pronghorn Antelope, also known as Speed Goats by the Ski3pins.
gallery_176_1036_2010025.jpg

Bighorn Ram
gallery_176_1036_7985547.jpg

Well hidden Sandhill Crane
gallery_176_1036_10002607.jpg

Barrow's Goldeneye
gallery_176_1036_1055371.jpg

American Wigeon
gallery_176_1036_144382.jpg

Blue Winged Teal
gallery_176_1036_61857.jpg

Bison
gallery_176_1036_5245224.jpg

Seriously, these guys own the road. When they decide to use it, traffic can be backed up for miles.
gallery_176_1036_5378154.jpg

Ted great shots.
I recognize some of the areas you found animals.The moose looks like you were at Gros Vernte?
That Black bear feeding,was that near the Yellowstone River picnic area?
Also you got to see all the Bison at Madison campground.
One spring visit we had a huge heard just wander through the whole camp ground.
Such a great area.
Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a great time at Yellowstone.
We will miss the park this year,but Denali and weeks in Alaska should work.
Frank

I haven't had a chance to photograph 399 in a few years but here is a shot of her (on the right) and her three sub-adult cubs in 2008. She had a cub this spring that was sadly killed by a careless driver a couple of days ago. In light of her age (20) that may have been the last cub she'll have. :(

About half of her cubs over the years have been killed by some sort of human encounter but she has been a good mama bear and I hope she recovers soon from this latest tragedy.

_LS27988-Edit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom