The Wildlife Photography Thread

I spotted this beauty driving into Nevada City yesterday. It was hanging out in a meadow, hunting rodents I think.
It spotted me quick enough as I shot from the shoulder of the road, but was quite curious. It stopped several times to look back at me.
Anyone know how to ID male v. female?

Andy, very nice images! SWAG-male based on muzzle size, but could be very wrong. Best way is to observe a mature coyote urinating, whether or not pregnant/nursing. That is a beautiful animal!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Andy, very nice images! SWAG-male based on muzzle size, but could be very wrong. Best way is to observe a mature coyote urinating, whether or not pregnant/nursing. That is a beautiful animal!
Thanks. My dog Callie might fool someone. She pees like a male sometimes to mark a bush. It's pretty funny.

None of my other hunter friends seem to be able to identify M vs. F 'yotes either.

Not wild shots but thought I'd post anyway. Was in China a couple of weeks ago and had a chance to visit the Chendung Panda Sanctuary where I got to go behind the scenes where we fed the Pandas. I'm no fan of zoos or wildlife parks but all the bears here were rescued and couldn't remain in the wild. They utilize some of the bears for reproduction and have a program where they are successfully returning cubs to the wild. Talking with the staff there are only 1500 Panda's left in the wild. They restrict the areas where they still roam free and don't allow anyone in the area other than research teams. I think we need some areas like this as well in order for our wildlife to live unhampered by humans. If you haven't been to Yellowstone during the summer months, go, and you'll see why this is needed.

This guy was rescued from the wild. He was found with a severely damaged rear leg and it required amputation. They couldn't return him to the wild so he was placed in the sanctuary. For a three-legged bear he got around pretty well. Feeding him was a real treat. He was so gentle and would take the food out of your hand like a well-trained dog.

DSC_2125-Edit-XL.jpg

China%20Panda%20%281%20of%206%29-XL.jpg

Their leader was watching you carefully :) Nice shots.

Park love the Panda. You are right they need to protect our wildlife here but I fear that's not going to happen under the current administration.....

Great Blue Heron at Shi-Shi Beach, Olympic NP, in September. Heron "posed" for over 15 minutes before this best of the bunch picture.

gallery_5179_893_5467806.jpg

Back
Top Bottom