The Wildlife Photography Thread

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Park for sharing your photos.
On our daily walks we monitor a couple nests
but usually don't get to see much action.

There are a couple hawks nests we watch but they stay very hidden.
We only catch slight peeks of them.
Frank
Frank...has been a unique opportunity for me. I located these two nests up a remote deep wash with high sides. In the many hours I spent there I never saw anyone else in the area. It took me about 30 minutes in a side by side to access so the remote factor was certainly a blessing. A perfect location to view and photograph without disturbing their activity. I had someone who saw the photos on Facebook wanted to know how to find the nest so they could shoot it with their drone. Guess what, they, nor anyone else never got to view either nest. Unless I really know someone I'm pretty protective of something like this. I couldn't believe some idiot wanted to fly a drone to the nest sites. I too have a drone but it certainly never saw any airtime anywhere near the chicks. I shot these with a Nikon D500 and Nikon 200-500 lens. Wish I would of had a 600 but just can't justify the cost. I had to crop these quite a bit but they came out alright. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

park said:
Frank...has been a unique opportunity for me. I located these two nests up a remote deep wash with high sides. In the many hours I spent there I never saw anyone else in the area. It took me about 30 minutes in a side by side to access so the remote factor was certainly a blessing. A perfect location to view and photograph without disturbing their activity. I had someone who saw the photos on Facebook wanted to know how to find the nest so they could shoot it with their drone. Guess what, they, nor anyone else never got to view either nest. Unless I really know someone I'm pretty protective of something like this. I couldn't believe some idiot wanted to fly a drone to the nest sites. I too have a drone but it certainly never saw any airtime anywhere near the chicks. I shot these with a Nikon D500 and Nikon 200-500 lens. Wish I would of had a 600 but just can't justify the cost. I had to crop these quite a bit but they came out alright. Glad you enjoyed the photos.
Park, thanks for protecting those nest sites. The fewer that know their location, the better.

Regarding a 600/4, if you get serious about one, rent a 400/2.8 and some TCs before you buy. If I were doing things over, that lens would be the first on my list. For me, having more light is more important than reach. The 400/2.8 works nicely with the Nikkor teleconverters. Very good image quality, even with the TC 2.0, and you still are only down to f5.6 at 800mm.

Park great you protect the nests location. Sure don't need drones
disturbing the hawks.
The nests we watch are in our housing area so people are in their area.
But nobody bothers them,thankfully.
Frank

Super work, Park. And investment of your time and expertise.

We've got a pair of nesting peregrine falcons on private property nearby.
I would love to observe them more closely, but it's an unstable cliff that they roost on, a leftover from the hydro mining days. The peregrines return to the same spot every year.

A friend in the garden.
gallery_4841_711_1174058.jpeg

Well, it looks like the Canadian govt. is going to open the border back up on the 9th of August. I think it's early enough to head back up in the Hawk to Alaska for the rest of August and September. September and early October being my favorite times in Alaska. Hopefully, I'll run into more of these magnificent creatures. I shot this grizzly north of the border on my way a couple of years ago.

Grizzly%20Gravel%20Bar%20%282%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

I caught this fine buck nibbling on our grape leaves, just outside the garden fence. He let me walk down the garden path, with head high rows of tomatoes between us. I moved slowly and struggled to get my focus through the vegetation and fencing. He was curious, and I didn't threaten. I stepped outside the garden fence into the orchard and caught a few frames. Some call him a 4x4 rack, others see five or more points.

/_DSC2403-X2.jpg

Lighthawk said:
I caught this fine buck nibbling on our grape leaves, just outside the garden fence. He let me walk down the garden path, with head high rows of tomatoes between us. I moved slowly and struggled to get my focus through the vegetation and fencing. He was curious, and I didn't threaten. I stepped outside the garden fence into the orchard and caught a few frames. Some call him a 4x4 rack, others see five or more points.

/_DSC2403-X2.jpg
nice photos !!! hopefully the deer arent a problem with the garden/vineyard.

Just got home from a seven week roam about up in Montana, Wyoming and Nevada. Some shots of the wild mustangs in the Pryor Mountain Range, Wyoming.

McCulloch%20Stallion%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Wild%20Mustangs%20Day%203%20%28167%29-XL.jpg

Mustangs%20Day1%20%28112%29-XL.jpg

Wild%20Mustangs%20Day%203%20%28213%29-Edit-XL.jpg

Two weeks ago, Yellowstone National Park. This sow had a cub with her and as I watched her work her away across this meadow she kept turning abruptly and sniffing the air. Something had her spooked and I was praying she'd stand to get a better look. Keeping my eye to viewfinder she finally popped up and I got this.

Grizz%20Print%20%281%20of%201%29-X4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom