Think your tires are expensive?

Pfffft. How about thirty thousand a tire? I don't think a plug for a trail fix would work either :)

.......................$8.68 a pound, less than I'm paying for the ribeye roast I'm indirect grilling for the big feed on the 25th. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
How do you actually damage a tire like these?
Frank
Drive over a sharp rock.

106125038_large_015799.jpg

ntsqd said:
Who here knows what rock that is, and how that section came to be broken off?
It's called Giant Rock and is near Landers, CA southeast of Barstow. It's claimed to be the world's largest freestanding boulder. History and photos of this glacial erratic are here and here.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
How do you actually damage a tire like these?
Frank
I saw one with about a 4" perfectly round hole in it from running over well casing sticking out of the ground. Heat build up in the tire is usually what makes them fail. We had one blow backing up to dump at the hoppers. Shook the control room about 100 yards away. Pretty sure the operator pooped himself !

Buckshot62 said:
I saw one with about a 4" perfectly round hole in it from running over well casing sticking out of the ground. Heat build up in the tire is usually what makes them fail. We had one blow backing up to dump at the hoppers. Shook the control room about 100 yards away. Pretty sure the operator pooped himself !
Woooh! that would be a Big Bang indeed.

Bigfoot said:
It's called Giant Rock and is near Landers, CA southeast of Barstow. It's claimed to be the world's largest freestanding boulder. History and photos of this glacial erratic are here and here.
That rock fascinates me, thanks for the info, I think I will include a visit to see it live for my inaugural ATC California loop. Even if it's a ten minute pause. Can one still drive near it ? It split in 2000. Someone must have said " let's call it Giant Rock." I guess that's better than "let's call it Chuck" :).

Ok back to the tire thread , sorry.

Bigfoot said:
More like north of Yucca Valley as Barstow is some distance away, but bingo! The common story is that a Rave's bonfire caused the break in the rock. Plausible, but no idea if correct.

Back
Top Bottom