National Weather Service Boise ID
221 PM MST Mon Jan 25 2021

ORZ061>063-260600-
/O.UPG.KBOI.WS.A.0001.210127T0300Z-210128T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KBOI.WS.W.0002.210127T0300Z-210128T0000Z/
Harney County-Baker County-Malheur County-
221 PM MST Mon Jan 25 2021 /121 PM PST Mon Jan 25 2021/

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM MST /7 PM PST/
TUESDAY TO 5 PM MST /4 PM PST/ WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 7
inches, except up to 10 to 14 inches over the mountains. Snow
accumulations of less than an inch in central and southern
Malheur and Harney Counties. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph
over exposed terrain.

* WHERE...Northern Harney and Malheur County, and Baker County.

* WHEN...From 8 PM MST /7 PM PST/ Tuesday to 5 PM MST /4 PM PST/
Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult to impossible,
especially over I-84. Highway 20 and Highway 26 will also be
difficult as well as other Highways across Baker County.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

Be careful and stay safe Mr. Sage. Here all the trees are heavy with snow and we have 50 mph winds coming in tomorrow night. It could get really really ugly. At the very least power will be out. We have both gas, diesel, and a full propane tank. And, of course, cinnamon rolls.

Even if it wimps out as I expect, it should still be decent storm. Maybe I'll fire up the generator tomorrow just to be safe. Gonna be chilly no matter what.

This is rare and I don't remember seeing a blizzard warning in a long time.......................

Blizzard Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
110 PM PST Tue Jan 26 2021

...Dangerous winter storm to bring heavy snow and powerful winds this
evening into early Friday...

.A strong, dangerous winter storm will impact interior Northern
California this evening through early Friday morning. Powerful
winds and heavy snowfall will create whiteout conditions with
extremely limited visibility over the Northern Sierra, especially
tonight through tomorrow. Significant snow amounts are forecast in
the northern Sierra and southern Cascades through early Friday.
Strong winds and heavy snow may also cause downed trees, tree
limbs, and power outages. Travel will be extremely difficult to
impossible at times. Travel is not advised. If you risk travel,
especially over the Sierra, be prepared for lengthly road
closures, chain controls, and near zero visibilities. Bring enough
food, water, and warm clothes to last lengthy closures.

Snow levels will begin very low tonight through tomorrow morning.
Snow is likely down to the valley floor in the Northern
Sacramento Valley with the cities of Redding and Red Bluff
expected to receive multiple inches of snow. Snow levels will
generally rise to 3000 ft or above Wednesday afternoon. Expect
significant travel delays, downed tree limbs, and potential power
outages for lower elevation areas.

CAZ069-271600-
/O.UPG.KSTO.WS.W.0002.210127T0000Z-210129T1000Z/
/O.NEW.KSTO.BZ.W.0001.210127T0000Z-210129T1000Z/
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
110 PM PST Tue Jan 26 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 2 AM
PST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Travel will be very
  dangerous to impossible, including during the morning commute on
  Wednesday. Damage to trees and power lines is possible. Total
  snow accumulations of 5 to 8 feet are expected. Winds gusting
  as high as 50 mph at the lower elevations with up to 70+ mph
  over ridgetops with whiteout conditions.

* WHERE...West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada.

* WHEN...4 PM today to 2 AM Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 50 to 70+ mph will
  cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Travel will be
  extremely difficult to impossible at times due to strong winds,
  heavy snow, and near zero visibility. Very strong winds could
  cause downed trees and power outages. If you risk travel over
  the Sierra passes, you could be stuck in your car for several
  hours, if not a day. Expect dangerous wind chills that could
  cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout
conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If
you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you.  If you get
stranded, stay with your vehicle. The latest road conditions for
the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

Winds are picking up but its looking like the worst of the storm is going north of Sac. Not even sprinkling here yet.

Here's a few photos from the morning of the 25th of January.

Snow-25-Jan-2021-001-copy.jpg

Snow-25-Jan-2021-002-copy.jpg

Snow-25-Jan-2021-003-copy.jpg

Snow-25-Jan-2021-005-copy.jpg

We ran the tractor on the 26th, 27th, 28th. This morning, the 29th, we woke to another 12" of snow to clean up. We received 33" from this storm series thus far.

Snow-29-Jan-2021-002-copy.jpg

Snow-29-Jan-2021-004-copy.jpg

Snow-29-Jan-2021-005-copy.jpg

Snow-29-Jan-2021-008-copy.jpg

Snow-29-Jan-2021-007-copy.jpg

SNOW!!!!

3 days total for my house was 22". Yesterday was a heavy wet slop. Yep we got snow on the ground with warm temps coming. Could have flooding or some fog inversion layer. We'll wait and see....

The winds were impressive. Lots of trees down, fences down. Little rain though. I kept watching the radar projections showing huge swaths of yellow passing over yet time after time most of the rain to shifted to the east.

pvstoy said:
SNOW!!!!

3 days total for my house was 22". Yesterday was a heavy wet slop. Yep we got snow on the ground with warm temps coming. Could have flooding or some fog inversion layer. We'll wait and see....
Welcome back to winter, pvstoy! Thursday's slop was miserable stuff. We got 4" of the white slime. If it had been two degrees colder, we would have gotten over 2 feet of drier snow on Thursday. Julie's numbers - the little record keeper - our storm total was 37", a decent storm. Our worst wind was Wednesday night. No power outages which was a real surprise, approaching miracle status. Sun just came out and 28 degrees.

IMG_0475.jpegWalker, CA - Jan 28 2021 - from the door of the house

Tues night forecast was 6-8". We shoveled 17' in order to move a car down the driveway but I left the camper right outside the door in case the power went out and we needed the kitchen.

Wed night forecast was 6-10". I was tempted to just lie down in the snow and cry when we woke to 38"

The valley is a freakin' mess ( as if the Mountain View fire was not enough) At 5500" in elevation most people lack the tools to remove this kind of snow. ATVs with plow blades and small tractors were useless. Snowblowers were bogging down. Nothing was plowed in town until Friday, there were several avalanches in the Walker canyon (pushed a plow into the river, rescuers were trapped in another slide) and right now (Sat morning) the road is still closed. The county sent in a loader to move snow - where to I do not know. I think I know where my mailbox is. The kids in the area built snowmen and had snowball fights in the middle of Hwy 395. A lot of people are still snowed in. Many are a little long in the tooth - the residents of this house included.

My back was killing me after shoveling for 3 days but I can attest to the fact that arnica gel works. But the truck and camper is still on the wrong end of the driveway. My body needs a bit of a break but I think I can get it down to the road in another day or two as the snow continues to consolidate. Early morning is usually the ticket - I've dealt with similar situations before but this is the most snow I have seen here in 25 years.

My calculations add up to a storm total (including the continuing snow during the day) of more than 60" of extremely dense, wet snow.

teledork said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0475.jpegWalker, CA - Jan 28 2021 - from the door of the house

Tues night forecast was 6-8". We shoveled 17' in order to move a car down the driveway but I left the camper right outside the door in case the power went out and we needed the kitchen.

Wed night forecast was 6-10". I was tempted to just lie down in the snow and cry when we woke to 38"

The valley is a freakin' mess ( as if the Mountain View fire was not enough) At 5500" in elevation most people lack the tools to remove this kind of snow. ATVs with plow blades and small tractors were useless. Snowblowers were bogging down. Nothing was plowed in town until Friday, there were several avalanches in the Walker canyon (pushed a plow into the river, rescuers were trapped in another slide) and right now (Sat morning) the road is still closed. The county sent in a loader to move snow - where to I do not know. I think I know where my mailbox is. The kids in the area built snowmen and had snowball fights in the middle of Hwy 395. A lot of people are still snowed in. Many are a little long in the tooth - the residents of this house included.

My back was killing me after shoveling for 3 days but I can attest to the fact that arnica gel works. But the truck and camper is still on the wrong end of the driveway. My body needs a bit of a break but I think I can get it down to the road in another day or two as the snow continues to consolidate. Early morning is usually the ticket - I've dealt with similar situations before but this is the most snow I have seen here in 25 years.

My calculations add up to a storm total (including the continuing snow during the day) of more than 60" of extremely dense, wet snow.
Now that is quite a storm! Julie said Thursday, "I'm tired of shoveling water." Arnica jell? It's got to be better than Aleve.

That is indeed scary about the plow driver going into the river.

ski3pin said:
Arnica jell? It's got to be better than Aleve.
I was really close to needing surgery for compartment syndrome in my thigh after getting bucked off an ATV a couple of years ago (if you have a weak stomach DO NOT look for photos of the treatment for compartment syndrome) I believe it was a combination of arnica gel, Tiger Balm, massage and lousy health insurance that kept me from losing my entire summer.

Wow, TD! That’s not the fun kind of snow! Hopefully things get back to normal, quickly!

Looking up arnica gel, hoping it’s good for backs and hips!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Wow, TD! That’s not the fun kind of snow! Hopefully things get back to normal, quickly!

Looking up arnica gel, hoping it’s good for backs and hips!
I have to say this storm was awe inspiring, as was the fire in November (and to be honest this virus as well) I think it is always a positive for humans to be reminded that we really are not the boss. I wish more people would pay attention. But hey - I dug out my mailbox, the county loader scooped out the snow bank and we got mail today. (also getting my first vaccination in about an hour!)

In terms of Traditional Chinese Medicine arnica is extremely stimulating and therefor not used internally. The idea is that inflammation (pain) is like a substance which needs to be moved into the circulatory system for removal and topically applied arnica does that. I also use heat for the same reason. Cold is great immediately following an injury but will cause bodily fluids to "congeal" in the long term lengthening the time needed for healing.

(typing as I sit here with arnica and a heat pack on my low back looking at the beauty of this valley covered in snow)

I might try that for my hip pain. Glad you got dug out, or at least partially dug out. Some storm we had.

Back
Top Bottom