Wandering from Tennesse to Alaska 2023

My heart aches with that Sox photo. That is a lot of quills. I have had similar experience but only 30 quills, they weren't deep in her mouth so was able to pull them with a needle nose pliers. She remarkably held still. That is such a bummer. (especially as they don't seem to learn not to go after them again!) Be sure to have them on leash near bear! I've had that experience as well. Your photos are terrific. Really enjoying the trip from the couch.

When I got off the ferry I camped at chillier lake. The salmon run hasn’t really started yet

Chilkat campground down mud bay rd is where they found the porcupine.

There’s a cheap blue chair left in site 16.

Yesterday I backtracked to the pass on Haines rd. It was worth it.

I’m back on the Alaskan highway now

I bet a lot of guys are closing their eyes and seeing where you are now when they were there. Great to relive the trip and hear of the way it is now. Keep on rolling and hope your dog pals are back in the pink. That is one scary event....glad you got therm patched up!

6-22 Scagway to Haines, this is the ferry ride

Dyea%20flats%20Lilly-L.jpg

ferry%20and%20cruise%20ship-L.jpg

ferry%20lineup-L.jpg

ferry%20unloading-L.jpg

ferry%20hold-L.jpg

from%20ferry%201-L.jpg

waterfall%20from%20ferry%201-L.jpg

from%20ferry%202-L.jpg

Million dollar falls is on the Haines Hwy
The Alaskan hwy past Haines jct is Kluane NP

All of it is gorgeous country

Last night I camped near Burwash Landing. This morning I watched 2 bald eagles 1 golden eagle 1 raven and a full fight over a fish while drinking coffee

Machinebuilder said:
Million dollar falls is on the Haines Hwy
The Alaskan hwy past Haines jct is Kluane NP

All of it is gorgeous country

Last night I camped near Burwash Landing. This morning I watched 2 bald eagles 1 golden eagle 1 raven and a full fight over a fish while drinking coffee
Thanks I thought that looked like the Million Dollar Falls site.We stopped there in 1992.
Just north of it is a"rock glacier" that we hiked to. It's all such beautiful country.
Frank

I saw the trail for rock glacier. I didn’t hike it because Sox was not up for it

Sox is recovering well. He is a bit sore still. I pulled the end of another quill out yesterday, so there still may be some working out.
Gabby is her normal self.

I made it to Fairbanks today. After all the mountains in the Yukon the last stretch of the Alaskan highway is not so interesting. It didn’t help there are 4 major construction zones. The road does have a lot of low spots and bumps.

Frank something interesting

The River that flows into Kluane lake changed course in 2016 and goes to the ocean now. This is near the east end of the lake and sheep mountain

Frank something interesting

The River that flows into Kluane lake changed course in 2016 and goes to the ocean now. This is near the east end of the lake and sheep mountain

Just did a Wikipedia on the lake. Interesting the glacier melt flow has changed coarse causing the flow of water
into the lake by the Sims River to now flow into a different river system and into the Gulf of Alaska instead
of the Yukon river and Bering Sea
Good old climate change.
Frank

6-29 Fairbanks

I met a friend from high school that lives in North Pole and we went to the Fountainhead Car museum in Fairbanks

its an interesting collection of some extremely rare cars

motorcycles-M.jpg

1898%20Hay-M.jpg

Armature%20refinisher-M.jpg

1917%20Owen%20Magnetic-M.jpg

1931%20Duesenburg-M.jpg

After discussing it with my friend I decided to head up the Steese Hwy to the White Mts and Nome Creek for the Independance Day weekend

another pipeline view

Pipline-M.jpg

with a couple of pigs next to it

Pigs-M.jpg

US%20Creek%20Rd-M.jpg

Nome%20Creek%20Dredge%20Tailings-M.jpg

Nome%20Creek%201-M.jpg

Nome%20Creek%20Camp%201-M.jpg

I made an attempt at gold panning, If I found any it is microscopic, the entire stream bed had been dredged in the past and it is a public panning area so its been worked over pretty hard. I had fun trying though.

7-4 I left Nome creek and drove the Steese hwy to eagle summit

12 mile summit

Steese%20hwy%20near%2012mi%20summit-M.jpg

12mi%20summit-M.jpg

Eagle summit it was 49F with about a 40mph wind

Hikers%20Eagle%20Sumit-M.jpg

BAck to Fairbanks and North Pole for laundry, Grocerys and an oil change

Back
Top Bottom