What do you use to level your truck camper

Carpenter/climber/photographer . . . All obsessed with the plumb and level. :D :D :D
I don't mind sleeping a few degrees off with my head uphill, but I do hate to cook when all the oil runs to the corner of my Griswold #6 pan. :(

I also vote for multipurpose tools and use scraps of extra thick OSB / plywood in the 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" thickness. I've cut them down a bit to stack up conveniently under the Hawk couch overhang by the door. I've used them to support jacks a few times. One day I had a painting project going on, and managed to put some primer on my blocks. I initially used some scrap 2x stock, but they tended to split, so I upgraded to LVL material.

Good idea using the engineered wood. I should upgrade also with the next projects scraps.

Cheers-

Bad Habit said:
End of the day, that is the most important aspect :cool:
Yep, Creggyman and Bad Habit have that right. On those rainy days when you cook inside things need to be level; nothing worse than half raw pancakes and eggs for breakfast :p !

Smoke

Lighthawk said:
. . . All obsessed with the plumb and level. :D :D :D
Me too. Can't help it. :D I have the little bubble level indicators for both directions on the camper corner right behind the driver's door. Makes it easy to check. We use the lego blocks and like them. They are light, work really well and store easily. Occasionally I have also used them for a jack platform, awning pole support and a surprising number of other things needing a stable surface.

takesiteasy said:
Me too. Can't help it. :D I have the little bubble level indicators for both directions on the camper corner right behind the driver's door. Makes it easy to check. We use the lego blocks and like them. They are light, work really well and store easily. Occasionally I have also used them for a jack platform, awning pole support and a surprising number of other things needing a stable surface.
That was going to be my next question...does everyone use those bubble levels stuck to the side of their camper?

We use an unattached "string" level". "String levels" are short/light, 3", and were designed to go on a grading string and can be found at building supply stores.

On iPad, I use Tom O's Studio Level-

On Android phone, I use Spirit Level from KEUWLSOFT

Both work well for me. There are many that likely would work fine if you can find a large enough level spot in your truck cab to set it down. I got the above for other purposes. I use a small round bubble level that sits on a level spot in my truck console where I can see it without getting out of the truck.

With care, I can set the phone down on the console level spot, but not the iPad. It's just too big. iPad works fine on the floor just inside the door to double check my parking.

Paul

^^^^
Haha!
Being a contractor I have an iLevel on my phone but didn't think to us it that way.
Thanks for the reminder!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Is that an app, or is it native to the phone?
Yes native, built in to the compass app...swipe left. In addition to the compass it shows your altitude and gps coordinates (6s does anyway).

rotti said:
Yes native, built in to the compass app...swipe left. In addition to the compass it shows your altitude and gps coordinates (6s does anyway).
Thank you! It took me a while to find it (in extras), but it's there, and works nicely. The iPhone is new to us.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Thank you! It took me a while to find it (in extras), but it's there, and works nicely. The iPhone is new to us.
I'm thinking it probably won't work without cell service?
I have a torpedo level as a backup.
That extra window tripped me up too...I've found any grade school kid makes a great IT consultant!

We also carry a spirit level, so no big deal if it does require cell. I think I'll put it on airplane mode and find out.

Yup on the kid! The iPhone is just enough different from our droid to cause a bit of confusion.

Thanks again!

Edit: works fine on Airplane mode, so cell signal doesn't seem needed.

We typically dig a hole under the highest tire(s) and drive into the hole(s). This combined with driving up onto rocks or pieces of wood has kept us level in some pretty bad spots.

We also use the circle bubble level that others mentioned. Bubble level in the truck helps us park and then we use an iphone app in the camper to decide which direction to sleep.

The compass device is onboard the phone and is called by a fancy name: Fluxgate Magnetometer. Fascinating device. I have my students build one literally from bailing wire and magnet wire for their electromagnetism class and then measure the direction of earth's magnetic field, which comes down to us at a fairly steep angle. Then I tell them they have one of these in their phone!

I was wrong, they also have onboard accelerometers and that is what detects inclination. The magnetometer is only used for the compass. I guess it would be too location specific to use the magnetometer for inclination.

I use the iPhone as well. Use on its side and flat for a bubble. Lately I have been just driving back and forth and get pretty good at eyeballing level. Anyone use the Airbags and a compressor to level?

Ramblinman said:
I use the iPhone as well. Use on its side and flat for a bubble. Lately I have been just driving back and forth and get pretty good at eyeballing level. Anyone use the Airbags and a compressor to level?
It would certainly be effective. I may consider it if it becomes my only option.

I don't think it has been discussed so it's worth mentioning.

The absolutely quickest and simplest way that I have used to level the camper at least front to back is to put the truck in neutral and let the truck find level itself. You may have to move a time or two, but if camping in the same spot each time/night you get a pretty quick idea where to park.

I thought it might be worth mentioning as often the simplest things can sometimes be overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom