Wonder Nevada

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We had to get away this past weekend. The weather was good, Nevada was calling us. We visited the area of Wonder, another of Nevada's almost forgotten mining camps. You are welcome to share our adventure. The story is now posted on our blog -

Wonder Nevada - December 2016

please enjoy! :)

Wow, both of you got hit with it. I feel sick just thinking about a case of the double enders!

Nice TR! The folks in the other truck owe you a steak dinner for helping get them out of that rut. Thanks for sharing, your trips are always a joy!

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed the TR. So much to see out there. Sorry about the Thanksgiving double trouble. Remember that day back in college, I just wanted to die. Worst feeling ever. jd

A bad bug for sure. :eek: Glad you are both recovered.

I enjoyed the trip to Wonder. Nice to be so close to such solitude. Beautiful picture of the night sky.

Has anybody ever said that "Ski, you get out too much?" Of course not, because there's no such thing!! Great shots of places with that long horizon I love, the open desert. A couple of excellent night pics too. As with others I'm sorry to hear butt glad to not have seen the explosive effects of the double bender. Be on the watch though, Obama's EPA may be looking for you for dumping two human black tanks in the open desert. Aye chihuahua!

Never been to Wonder, Nevada-thanks for taking us along----to bad about about being sick! Just think, guys, in a year retirement and you can spend all your time planning and going on trips :p ! Getting stuck and then "unstuck" is an ever present and unwelcome part of back country fun!

Smoke

Nice TR. I had the same thing in August a week before our trip west. Took two weeks to get back to normal.

Your Thanksgiving flu sounds like Norovirus which we both got on a ski trip in Colorado years ago. It is very contagious and we both had your symptoms. Norovirus is typically transferred from a surface (another persons hand, or door handle, etc.) via your hands to your stomach etc. Hand washing is the best way to prevent norovirus both before eating and as soon as you get home. Norovirus is not prevented by the flu shot. If you did have the flu (the symptoms point to Noro), then a flu shot would be a good deal (ours cost $25 each). You are not immune from getting noro again after 14 weeks have passed.

I was thinking Norovirus, too. Here in NC, there is now an annual "tradition" of a Norovirus outbreak along the Appalachian Trail in late April/early May, where the "bubble" of each season's thru-hikers who started in Georgia crowd shoulder to shoulder in the shelters along the first couple or three hundred miles of the trail. Sanitation is at a low ebb, hikers are physically stressed, one person picks up the virus, and the next thing you know is dozens of hikers along dozens of miles of the AT are laid low by rapid onset double-ended "fluid loss". It sounds as though your superior physical condition limited the duration of the symptoms at least somewhat, though surely it couldn't have seemed brief to you two.

I normally read your trip reports while thinking "Man, I'd like to do that trip". Your Thanksgiving trip--not so much. Thanks for the wonders of Wonder and looking forward to more!

Foy

Thanks for the time and effort in sharing these stories, ski3pin. Love Nevada! I've been enjoying these tales before joining the site, and always look forward to them!

A great trip report as always - added to the Nevada list! We had a similar but much milder experience trying to go to New Mexico for T Day. Got as far as Moab and we both felt the hard cold coming on. Spent two days in the Moab area and then headed home. Was a good choice for us. Sorry you two had a worse experience. Glad you are well again.

Thanks ski3pin and Lady for sharing your trip to Wonder NV. Sounds neat and will save the name and take the wife there, for a visit.
Sick sux that's for sure, luck was with you as you were not both ill at the same time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you.
Russ & Syma

Smokecreek1 said:
<snip>
Getting stuck and then "unstuck" is an ever present and unwelcome part of back country fun!

Smoke
When we first arrived on the scene the gentlemen busily, and a bit embarrassed, explained "how it happened". The Lady put them as ease, "Oh, we've been stuck before and this is what it looks like."

Everyone, thanks so much for your very kind comments! We appreciate it. :)

Yes, Mr. Iowa, this was norovirus, classic. We had an early holiday here on the Saturday before Thanksgiving with 9 at the dinner table. I indirect grilled and smoked a huge turkey. My famous stuffing was baked in the oven. I was so concerned that I may have been responsible and severely sickened loved ones and family. I would not wish this on anyone. Everyone was fine, the dinner was not the culprit. Sunday morning we visited my brother in the hospital down the hill, this was the most likely source.

The Great Whazoo, we hardly get out as much as we would like to!

Back
Top Bottom