You know you're a geezer when.......................

That’s funny buckland! I occasionally find my left leg reaching for the clutch pedal when decelerating into a downhill curve. I haven’t driven stick since selling my Jeep in ‘96.

You are a geezer if you remember your parents version of A/C in the car was the window wings or the air vents near your feet.

Retiring this year and looking forward to not knowing what day it is….

After you retire every day is Saturday a vacation day.

Less people out and about M-F. AND no pests (kids & bugs) Sept - May.
Win-win!

Sledawg said:
You are a geezer if you remember your parents version of A/C in the car was the window wings or the air vents near your feet.
Retiring this year and looking forward to not knowing what day it is….
Wing windows with a wet towel on your face...priceless.

Nice is going food shopping on a Thursday at 8am the alise are stocked, no crowds and easy checkout.

pvstoy said:
Wing windows with a wet towel on your face...priceless.
I had a bicycle water bottle with the 'salt shaker' top (remember those?). Keep my head wet while riding with windows open was very effective.

Well I do miss the Montana cooler. Buy a 6-pack of beer, the kind with plastic rings holding them together, hang 3 on the outside of your driver's side window, drive down the road for a while at high speed, stop, roll the window down part way, flip the 6-pack around, pull 2 cold ones off, enjoy them, later repeat the process, then later again, but someone needs to take the warm beer.

I made a canvas cooling bag 8 years ago so I could have cold beer while canoeing deep un the woods. aSk that bag and toss a rope one a limb and hoist it up... those beers were downright cold! I recall a Jackson Brown album (73?) had a desert bag on the front of a truck?

buckland said:
I recall a Jackson Brown album (73?) had a desert bag on the front of a truck?
The older guys leading our ground geophysics crew were all Phelps Dodge exploration hands who'd cut their teeth in the Southwest in the 1950s and 1960s. Their water bladders were within thick wool layers reinforced with corners and strips of canvas. They'd keep the big bag contraption wet with meltwater from conventional coolers and the evaporation from the wool cooled the drinking water inside the bladder to an amazing degree. They'd find a way to hang the bag on the front of the Suburban to keep it in the slipstream, or on the passenger side mirror if on the front led to overheating the engine.
The same guys never had A/C in their field vehicles yet would drive gravel roads and dirt trails with the windows up and the ventilation blower fan set for WFO in order to create positive pressure inside the 'Burban and thus keep the dust intake minimized. It worked amazingly well as long as they could stand the heat.
Early in my days of college in a dry mountain town (dry in terms of alcohol sales), I discovered I could fit a case of canned beer in between the grille and the radiator of my '67 IH Scout 800. In cool weather months and all winter, we could go to the next town over (Blowing Rock, NC) to buy unrefrigerated beer (cold beer to go not allowed), load up the grille, and have at least cool beer (or frozen in January) once we got back to Boone, NC). That really cut back on the amount of cooler ice we'd otherwise have to steal from the Holiday Inn's outside ice bucket machines on the way over to Blowing Rock.
Like Buffett, "we all swore if we ever got rich, we would pay the Mini Mart back".

Foy

I did like his early stuff and that album in particular.

Good stories Foy. I've got one year on you. Funny to hear of other's stories ...while you were doing one thing I was another. Son of immigrants, raised in an eastern rundown city I was clueless of the world outside the neighborhood. I started being surprised every time I turned a corner when I left home at 18. Now, been a million places and I still get surprised.

I took that road from Boone to Blowing Rock back in 72. Being a Calif boy I was amazed that a college kid had to take that 2 lane winding road to just get a beer. Now I find out it wasn't even a cold beer.

Foy, Phelps-Dodge eh? Ever heard the name McHenry Mosier? He was my great-grandfather. I've been told some stories about his exploits......

4 months ago turned the age to officially carry a parks geezer card. Can one be a geezer if one does not know? Is that part of being a geezer?

I believe both you and buckland answered your question. We think you ought to be celebrating being such a young geezer. :)

"if I stay out 'till quarter of three, would you lock the door, will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm 64"

dang song stuck in my head but no, I'm not a geezer (I'm not a liar either :cool: )

Back
Top Bottom