Camping Rally at Meadow Lake October 10-12.

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
When you plan by committee, actually coming to a decision is challenging. But our great members have been able to pin down a location and date. So here is the plan:

Location - Meadow Lake in Tahoe National Forest. Thanks to fishmore for this suggestion. He states there are lots of activities like four wheeling and fishing around here for day trips. Since we will be on a lake, I will most likely be bringing kayaks. Best access is from Highway 89 north of Truckee.

Dates - Officially Friday through Sunday, October 10-12. I will probably arrive on Thursday the 9th.

Open to all camper manufacturers and camping methods. it doesn't matter what type of camper you have, or even if you use a tent, roof top tent, or whatever. If you share the WTW attitude of enjoying exploring remote areas and want to meet like minded people, you are welcome. I will update a list of attendees below as others chime in.

Planning to attend are:
Ted
MarkBC
craig333
billharr
clikrf8
Marc@XPCamper
marty
fish more
Missing Link
mynxd
K6ON
LAWNMOWERMAN
Smokecreek1
camelracer
Cort
simimike
GroovyDad
NorCalHawk
Tomas Tierra
pvstoy

Note; I started to call this a WTW rally but changed it slightly. Even though this was planned by moderators and members of WTW, at no time were the owners of WTW ever involved in the discussion. Therefore, I do not want to give the impression this is a sponsored rally. It is just a group of people planning a gathering.

Looks like we'll have to miss this one. :(
We're taking that week to visit some of my family on the East Coast.

I can recommend a few hikes to French Lake and Phoenix Lake (optional hike to summit of Old Man Mtn.),
if someone is feeling adventurous. :) This area is part of our extended backyard, so we know the area well.
One thing we haven't tracked down is a petroglyph site "below the dam".

Cautionary note: When does deer/bear season wind down? That area might be used by hunters.
Also, the Fordyce Creek OHV trail starts at Meadow Lk., so you may find some Rubicon worthy rigs.

I would love to go, but might not be able to make it.

: (

There are so many cool events happening this year.

I will just be getting back from the Overland Expo East (North Carolina) a day or two earlier. This event is Oct. 3rd - 5th and I might stay out there for a couple extra days to work on some other projects.

Soon after I get back, I will be packing and getting ready to head down to San Onefre for the3rd Annual Southern California customer rally the following weekend (Oct. 24th - 26th).

I will see if I can squeeze in some extra time to attend. If I can't go, I'm sure there are others here that would love to head up there for the weekend.

: )

Thanks for helping to make events like this happen.

Marc@XPCamper said:
Ok, Im in. Its in my back yard!!! :D
Still roasting animals on spits, Marc?

WTW-Pork-Rally-1.jpg

Something to consider... :)

I'm glad to see a firm date. Looking forward to the rally, will check schedule and make decision when I am able to go. I'm thinking of thursday as well. Should be a good time.

YEah. Got the set up...
Let talk about it....
Marc, that would be fantastic since I missed the other pig roasts. Might want to wait and see how many people commit before planning something that big, though. Whatever we do, it will be nice to enjoy your cooking skills. Let me know what I can do to help out.

Confirmed, will be there on thursday thru sunday. May have to make a dry run to scope out a area, sounds like we have a lot of interest in the event. There are camp spots along the lake as well as some sites in a small grove of trees at the dam end of the lake. There is also a large area where they stage 4wd events, the only problem, no restroom facilities in that area.

Keep in mind its about ten miles of dirt road to get there if you follow the easy route. I don't think its likely but in October you never know what to expect for weather. Hopefully campfire restrictions will be lifted by then.

Yes you never know what mother nature will bring, but just wait thirty minutes and it will change. Bring it all, shorts, rain gear, shovel, snow shoes, Tucker Snow Cat, 4WD, kayaks and don't forget the "cold" beer !!

If we can't be there, we'll have to encourage the gang from the sidelines (well, actually we'll be back East).

You must know there is an authentic gold rush cemetery, just north of Meadow Lake.
Meadow Lake Cemetery. It's worth a walk around, and is very close to the camping at the lake.
It's possible to continue north all the way to Jackson Meadows on this rougher road.

Summit City (1866) located at Meadow Lake was quite populous with a population of 5,000 at the peak.
For historians, you can't beat

Bean's History and Directory of Nevada County, California: Containing a ...

I've been watching this and the other thread. I don't think I can make it tho. I'll be in Texas the week prior and then in Pendleton for a work conference the week after. I've never spent any time in the Sierra's other than passing though and this would have been a good excuse to go. If there is a pig cooked, I'll be really disappointed I can't make it. I've done a few of those myself and that is some great food and fun times right there.

Back
Top Bottom