Camping Rally at Meadow Lake October 10-12.

Just 3 months -- 13 weeks -- away. :)

I'm going to plan a larger trip around this meet-up, probably extending after this weekend. It's too far to drive from Bend (at 12 mpg) for just a weekend...and I usually -- for the past 4 years -- head that way in mid/late October anyway.

Hmm...that sounds like fun....and week before the SoCal rally.

Are you camping in an open field? or developed campsite with table and "piped" water?

RC Pilot Jim said:
Hmm...that sounds like fun....and TWO weeks before the SoCal rally.

Are you camping in an open field? or developed campsite with table and "piped" water?
Fixed that for you, two weeks before. Going to make both this year.

Meadow Lake Campground

Area Status: Open
openStatus.gif

stelprd3803899.jpg

Meadow Lake Campground contains 15 rustic campsites with tables, grills and vault toilets. Small trailers and campers can be accomodated. Access to the Fordyce Jeep Trail is nearby. There are an additional 10 campsites at the Meadow Lake Shoreline Campground.

At a Glance

Current Conditions:

Fire restrictions are in effect. Wood and charcoal fire limited to designated campgrounds only. Keep fires small and ensure they are fully extinguished before retiring for the evening or leaving the area.

Reservations:

No reservations available. For more information contact PG&E's recreation program through www.pge.com/recreation. Phone information by (916) 386-5164 or (800) 743-5000.

Fees

$10 per site
$3 for extra vehicle
$1 for pets

Usage:

Medium

Closest Towns:

Sierraville

Water:

No

Restroom:

Vault Toilets

Operated By:

Forest Service

General Information
Directions:

From Truckee: Travel north on Hwy 89 for 17 miles to Forest Road 7. Turn left and travel west to the Meadow Lake turnoff. Turn left on Forest Service Road 86 which becomes Nevada County Road 843 traveling south for approximately 10 miles. Most of the route is paved, but the last few miles are unpaved and becomes very rough.
From Sierraville: Travel south on Hwy 89 for 11 miles to Forest Road 7. Turn right and travel west to the Meadow Lake turnoff. Turn left on Forest Road 86 which becomes Nevada County Road 843 traveling south for approximately 10 miles. Most of the route is paved, but the last few miles are unpaved and becomes very rough.

General Notes:
Informal boat launch
Handicapped accessible
Operated By: PG&E
Number of sites: 15

Parking:
Yes

Besides the two campgrounds in Bill's post above, there are also two group sites that accommodate 25 people each. We had planned to be there now to do some recon and figure out where best to have the group gather. Alas, life happens and a last minute family emergency canceled our trip. Since the camper was packed, it served us well when we went to bed in the hospital parking lot at 3:00 this morning. :) Situation is improving and we are home again. I will try again in a couple of weeks to complete the recon trip.

Yes, thanks Bill ....Yes two weeks...more than enough time to come hang out with you all. Checked with the wife and she says...yes you can go..."I'm busy though so you will have to do it on your own "

So count me in !!

Thanks Bill for the directions as the 4WD road to way to hardcore for me.

Plenty of free camping nearby sans water of course. That area gets early snow, a possibility the FS campgrounds could already be closed by then.

Craig,
At 7400 feet, sounds like traveler could get snow in September. Does FS close these high country camps when snow is expected?

And yes I've become a 'weather wuss' since living in SD. Can't believe I once lived in Colorado.

Any rock climbers traveling to this? While attending would be fun I drew a wave permit for the 10th so that will put me on the Utah/Arizona border during this gathering. But I'm planning on climbing my way south and north so if people are going to be on the road it might be fun to meet up.

billharr said:
Fixed that for you, two weeks before. Going to make both this year.

Meadow Lake Campground
Area Status: Open
openStatus.gif

stelprd3803899.jpg

Meadow Lake Campground contains 15 rustic campsites with tables, grills and vault toilets. Small trailers and campers can be accomodated. Access to the Fordyce Jeep Trail is nearby. There are an additional 10 campsites at the Meadow Lake Shoreline Campground.
At a Glance
Current Conditions: Fire restrictions are in effect. Wood and charcoal fire limited to designated campgrounds only. Keep fires small and ensure they are fully extinguished before retiring for the evening or leaving the area. Reservations: No reservations available. For more information contact PG&E's recreation program through www.pge.com/recreation. Phone information by (916) 386-5164 or (800) 743-5000. Fees $10 per site
$3 for extra vehicle
$1 for pets Usage: Medium Closest Towns: Sierraville Water: No Restroom: Vault Toilets Operated By: Forest Service
General Information Directions:

From Truckee: Travel north on Hwy 89 for 17 miles to Forest Road 7. Turn left and travel west to the Meadow Lake turnoff. Turn left on Forest Service Road 86 which becomes Nevada County Road 843 traveling south for approximately 10 miles. Most of the route is paved, but the last few miles are unpaved and becomes very rough.
From Sierraville: Travel south on Hwy 89 for 11 miles to Forest Road 7. Turn right and travel west to the Meadow Lake turnoff. Turn left on Forest Road 86 which becomes Nevada County Road 843 traveling south for approximately 10 miles. Most of the route is paved, but the last few miles are unpaved and becomes very rough.

General Notes:
Informal boat launch
Handicapped accessible
Operated By: PG&E
Number of sites: 15

Parking:
Yes
We just were up above Meadow Lake over the 4th of July, so I thought I would update the directions :

From Truckee: Travel north on Hwy 89 for 17 miles to Forest Road 7.
You are at Little Truckee summit. Turn left on Jackson Meadows Rd. aka Forest Rd. 7. The road is paved.

Turn left and travel west:
It's approx 10 paved miles to the turn off. Go past Webber Lake, about a mile and you will see signed dirt road to Meadow Lake. Take a left.
There are large water bars to slow down the logging trucks and keep the drainage working. The road is graded for the first five miles, where you will reach a split; turn right to go to Meadow Lake, otherwise left will lead to White Rock Lake (very rutted). The route to Meadow Lake is a bit rougher, but still passable by any auto. There are some interesting springs on the right before you descend to Meadow Lake.

to the Meadow Lake turnoff. Turn left on Forest Service Road 86 which becomes Nevada County Road 843 traveling south for approximately 10 miles. Most of the route is paved, but the last few miles are unpaved and becomes very rough.

There's a few rocks/potholes, but otherwise, is an easy graded road.

I've mentioned that Summit City was once here at Meadow Lake. For those who are interested in an alternate way to exit Meadow Lake: You can drive north from the west end of the lake, past the cemetery (right side) along the eastern side of French Lake and Toll House Lake and eventually return to Bowman Lake/Jackson Meadows Rd. There's a small camp store there, FYI. We met some guys doing it in a Vanagon Syncro and they said they were in 2WD, but truthfully this route is much rougher and slower than the Meadow Lake route.
Short hike to French Lake is scenic, if you go this way.

For those who are adventurous (and heading west to Sacramento, etc.) and want to see the original Henness Pass (S301) crossing of the Sierra, you might consider heading west from Jackson Meadows Reservoir. You can drive Henness Pass all the way west, to North San Juan, with killer views of the Sierra Buttes and the middle and north forks of the Yuba, while traveling the original stage route from Reno to Marysville (steamship navigable, from San Francisco). This is the route that supplied the Comstock silver rush. During the heyday, they ran mule teams at night along this route.

Dang, I wish I was going to be around for this rally!

I've done the entire Henness pass route (except for small portion where I got ummm, not sure of my route). Amazing to think it was seriously considered for making into a highway at one point. While you can head west its not a short quick route. I went up to the Sierra Trek that way once, I arrived in camp about midnight. Theres enough area to camp even if the campgrounds were to be closed it shouldn't be a problem. I'd hate to cancel the trip but enough snow to close the roads would be a good thing in October. We need it.

Ted,
I reviewed the distance and realized its 2 days drive there (and return) and have a conflict I can't get out of
during that period, so I am cancelling my attendance. :(

RC Pilot Jim, sorry you can't make it. In case things change, "We'll leave a light on for you" (in my best Tom Bodett voice).

Hmm, I don't think we can make since we need to be a place called Montecito Lodge down around Kings Canyon NP (near Visalia I think). Any of you all have any idea how long the drive would be from Meadow Lake to the Visalia area? Might try to make it the 10th at Meadow Lake. Thanks. Taku

Made it up to Meadow Lake this past weekend to do some recon for the rally. We finally got to meet Smokecreek and his copilot Bob as they were also there. As fishmore said, there is a fair amount of room there so we have a few options for the exact location. There is a group camp area about 1/4 mile before the lake, 10 campsites spread out about a mile along the west side of the lake, and a small campground near the southwest end of the lake. Near the campground are a couple of areas large enough for the group to boondock also. The road in is paved to the turnoff from Jackson Meadow Road, well graded gravel for seven miles, then a little bumpy for the last three miles. The worst sections were right by the campground. That said, we saw a number of normal street vehicles like a Camry and a Volvo beyond the campground. So high clearance or 4x4 are not necessary.

The official campsites are run by PG&E and are scheduled to close October 6, the week before we plan to be there. Since there is no water, garbage service, or gates, I think the only thing this means is the camp host leaves and the bathrooms are locked. But I have been in contact with both the Tahoe National Forest and PG&E and neither can confirm this. So it appears all locations are open to us but the bathrooms may not be available, so plan accordingly.

The group site is in a nicely wooded area with little sun for those of us using solar, the campground is mostly wooded with some open areas, and the boondock locations are mostly open with some trees. As discussed earlier, the location is popular with off-roaders. And it will be deer hunting season for this zone. I personally prefer to camp on the lake, but the group site would provide us more privacy and probably be much more quiet. No reservations are taken after the 6th, so where we end up may be determined by what is available when the first members arrive. I intend to arrive Thursday the 9th.

The lake is at 7500 feet, so there is always the chance an early storm could make the road impassible. There are a couple of possible gathering spots on the Little Truckee closer to HWY 89 and 1000' lower. I don't have a Plan C yet if that gets snowed in. Maybe I'll wait until early October and the weather reports at that time to see if that will be necessary.

Smokecreek and his copilot Bob.
gallery_176_163_41666.jpg

Mrs. Ted trying to convince Bob to come home with us.
gallery_176_163_208969.jpg

Thanks, Ted, for taking charge and looking into this. :)
Good job.

Seems like we don't need to decide exactly where we'll meet/camp until we get closer to the date...and as you said, last-minute decision may be made based on the weather at that time.

After Ted and Donna left it got more interesting-the 4 wheel group we met up there had a few parties more to throw and trails to run. Next week a super 4x4 rally( Jamborie) is set for there. The last of them left on Monday morning. Monday afternoon a bunch of boy scouts wandered in --on their annual 50 mile hike-yep i said 50 miles. I guess a couple of years ago they had to use 4x4 to get food into them at the lake. Found out that they drained the lake last year (not for invasive sp.) and that is why it was lower than usual this year and that is an other reason for the bad fishing. A brand new fwc Hawk with the required dog and attached atc showed up on a new F150 on Tuesday-just talked for a minute and never got his name and he was camped on the other side of the cg when i left. Lots of room there. Bob had a good time-especially with the Teds and lot's of swimming and ball chasing!

Smoke

Sounds fun, gang!
Glad Bob got to do some ball chasin' and swimmin'. It's that time of year.
Callie has been jumping in the water as often as possible, setting a good example for us all in this 90 degree heat.

Ted: I sent you a PM with more info on Meadow Lk.
Even though we're not attending, we think you folks ought to snag some spots on the lake. The group camp is 1/4 mile away from the lake and is just another camp in the woods.

We're heading up there to celebrate SR's birthday, weekend after next, but we camp up in the granite above the lake.
Let me know if you want us to check out any other details.

Back
Top Bottom