And So They Continue........................Fires

Caldor Fire - Highway 88 is now closed. I just received a note saying Sierra at Tahoe Ski Resort is turning the snow making equipment on the buildings in an attempt to save them. Red Flag Warning for Monday through Tuesday night. It is now close to 160,000 acres. It is hard to be optimistic.

Wow this sure has spread. Is it doing any burning near Pollack Pines?
Some reports say fire active on the NW front.

All you can do is wait and stay optimistic.

Glad to hear Julie is at the T&D starting her next recoup.

Frank

Take a look at the Leek Springs Hill cam. Listen to the air traffic on 118.625. Its certainly not like they aren't putting in the effort to stop this fire.

Evacuating Barton Memorial Hospital. You wouldn't do that unless you thought it might really be necessary. I wish I could be positive.

craig333 said:
Evacuating Barton Memorial Hospital. You wouldn't do that unless you thought it might really be necessary. I wish I could be positive.
As the authorities did with our community, decisions came quickly and ahead of what we may have seen only a couple of years ago.

Woah, looking at yesterday's fire behavior, its advance, Tahoe under evacuation warning, red flag conditions through Tuesday night and winds through Wednesday, today could be a historic day in wildfire history. I hope to god not.

Certainly we don't want to wait until the evacuation becomes a rout. My friend got his fifth wheel out just as they closed 88.

Not looking forward to seeing what happens once the winds shift.

Still sending positive thoughts up north. We just spent the weekend finishing up brush clearance at our cabin in the San Bernardino’s. Three trailer fulls of Silverthorne, oak leaves, and pine needles taken out to at least 30’, preceded by the removal of several trees two weeks ago…too close to the structure. SB County and USFS are predicting similar conditions this Fall as in 2007, when a fire roared through the community.

The county provides FREE transfer station/landfill access for the material and gave plenty of notice prior to the 8/31 cleanup deadline. I couldn’t believe the bitching, moaning, and hollering I heard while unloading, especially from full time residents. Not everybody of course, but quite a few. So much clear evidence of the danger but heads in the sand.

The last several years have caused me to reassess the thoughtfulness of some of our fellow humans.

AWG_Pics said:
The last several years have caused me to reassess the thoughtfulness of some of our fellow humans.
right at this very moment, red flag warning and all, winds picking up, as dry as something or other - a neighbor has decided this is a fine time to play with his tractor - I can hear all kind of crushing and crashing but cannot see exactly what he is doing - I am considering calling law enforcement

I gave up on the reasoning ability (and basic decency) of the human race several years ago too

As an outsider to western wildfires, I find Juan Browne's YouTube channel ("the blancolirio channel") very helpful. I'm impressed how he uses various maps and live cams to explain what's going on in a way I can understand without much background or local knowledge.

Here's his latest on the Caldor fire threatening South Lake Tahoe....

EVACUATIONS! South Lake Tahoe Caldor Fire UPDATE 30 Aug

Edited 8/31 to add:

If that type of explanation appeals to you, you may also be interested in these earlier broadcasts concerning the Caldor fire...

19 Aug CA Wildfire UPDATE from 37,000'!

CA Wildfires 21 Aug RED FLAG WARNING-Winds UPDATE

teledork said:
right at this very moment, red flag warning and all, winds picking up, as dry as something or other - a neighbor has decided this is a fine time to play with his tractor - I can hear all kind of crushing and crashing but cannot see exactly what he is doing - I am considering calling law enforcement

I gave up on the reasoning ability (and basic decency) of the human race several years ago too
I called law enforcement after I was able to see this moron out there dragging a grader back and forth across his property. I was informed there is nothing they can do because he is not violating any law. He does not have anyone else out there with a hose or anything. The dispatch person did not seem to know there was a red flag warning - did not even seem to know what a red flag warning is.

Put a fork in us - we are done.

Sorry to hear your neighbor is an idiot. Juan Browne does have a knack for explaining things. Some other media should pay attention to him.

Once the winds pick up who knows where the fire will go. The evacuation is going slowly. Looks like the only thing slowing down this fire is rock. A lot of lightly forested area in the way.

Old Crow thanks for posting this site.Even living here in the west and knowing something
about the area where a lot of these fires are ,it still opens the eyes as to what is going on.

Looking forward to his next update.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom