Coffee maker?

french press for us. though we do bring along the folgers bags and also starbucks for a quick brew.

We also have several cups of teeccino. it is a great non-caffinated coffee alternative high in potassium, prebiotics and other good stuff. brews just like coffee & tastes great!

OOOOOO....AAAHHHHHH this was my 31st post and it says i'm an "advanced member" since joining earlier this month (October 2010). i can hardly wait to the next Pork Fest and do something worthy of name-calling ;)

We tried just about everything to get a good cup of coffee. Most didn't taste very good, or were a pain to clean. We found the French press made about the best for us, but was still having to deal with the cleanup. Folgers came out with little pillows for a while and we liked them. Four or five pillows to the 32 oz press seems to work great. The longer it sits, the stronger it gets. All of a sudden though we can't find the pillows any more. Only the tea bag looking things. They just don't have the strength of the pillows. Even if you add about 6 tea bags the coffee is still on the weak side. Our latest trick is to use our flavor of the day ground coffee, the press, a large coffee filter and a bit of sting. Four big scoops onto the filter, twist it up and tie it with the string. Great coffee, and virtually no cleanup. And if you want a bit more coffee just add more water to the press, agitate and wait a bit more and you have almost as strong as the first batch refill.

John

I'm an instant starbucks guy, myself. I've tried all the common camp coffee methods, but I guess I just hate the cleanup. Coffee grounds are nasty, plus I don't like lugging all the accessories necessary to prepare a proper cup.

And the obligatory bottle of Amarula or Baileys. Really the only accessory necessary.

If you haven't tried what a few of us suggested - a Melitta single cup filter into your mug (or theirs) you really don't know what you're missing. It's the cheapest way to get the best cup of coffee brewed as you like it with no fuss and no clean-up.

$5.50 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-640007-Perfect-Brew-Filter/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291917467&sr=8-1

I found a stainless steel stove top espresso maker is the ticket. You do have to dispose of the grounds but no filters to buy and throw away. Got the larger size, makes about 12 oz which is great for a strong cup or add water in small thermos for Americano to go. Set up the night before and just reach across from bed to turn on the burner. Perfect for early morning photo shoots. Lots of good coffee out there now so no need to grind on the road.

If you haven't tried what a few of us suggested - a Melitta single cup filter into your mug (or theirs) you really don't know what you're missing. It's the cheapest way to get the best cup of coffee brewed as you like it with no fuss and no clean-up.

$5.50 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-640007-Perfect-Brew-Filter/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291917467&sr=8-1

I also use this method; typically with Peets coffee. Single #4 cone filter on top of the mug; works great.

We use an Aeropress (http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm) and are extremely happy. It is super quick, clean-up is quick and easy, and it makes the best cup of coffee you'll ever have (not hyperbole). And they're cheap! We use an aftermarket, reusable filter with it as well.

I have not noticed if anyone else has mentioned cold brewing yet? The biggest plus is that depending on your coffee consumption, and length of trip, making an individual cup is as easy as heating water and adding the "concentrate". No cleaning up and no wasted coffee. If you are not familiar with the concept of cold brewing, and you enjoy coffee I would highly suggest researching this method. The best part for camping is that you don't have to bring any coffee making supplies - just the concentrate - 1/4 cup per cup of coffee. A bike water bottle with concentrate can get you through several days, and it stays good for up to two weeks.

I am an avid coffee drinker like most of us I am sure, and I was totally confused by the idea, mainly because the term "cold brewing" is a misnomer. You will be drinking coffee as hot as you like. The first cup you drink will surprise you by how smooth the coffee is. The cold brewing process leaves you with a coffee that is MUCH less acidic than other brewing methods.

There are several ways of cold brewing without having to buy any special commercially produced items, but for ease of getting started the Toddy system works really well.

New to the forums, and really finding the amount of info incredible!

I also use this method; typically with Peets coffee. Single #4 cone filter on top of the mug; works great.

We like this guy! :rolleyes:

Ditto. Except we get our coffee from a local roaster.

However you make it, let's just be sure to get this guy's blessing. Found him outside a coffee house in Santa Fe.

gallery_1902_252_5398.jpg

Ditto. Except we get our coffee from a local roaster.

Last month Consumer Reports gave Walmart Columbian a high rating :LOL: Pretty damned good and not an arm and a leg.

This is how Ara and Spirit do it when they have power.

http://youtu.be/ZSk_3mffLTM

The smell must be great :D

What is everyone using ? , I thought about a 12v but haven't been able to find one with good reviews on the trucker websites, then saw this one at Wallmart but seems pretty big http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Coffeemaker/10299012?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440231947482

so what is the best one you have found thanks guys ,D

I have one of those Colemans' but rarely use it, too big like you say, good if you have a need for a lot of caffeine :eek: . I use the little press off Amazon that was recommended here, makes me 1 very large mug.

My inlaws are from Southern (=poor) Italy. Back in the day, they would roast the coffee beans over a fire or gas stove in a pan. While this sounds cool, apparently the quality of the beans wasn't great, so even though it was fresh roasted, it still tasted like Charbucks does now.

I have heard of other folks using hot air popcorn makers to make very small batches of fresh roast.

I have heard of other folks using hot air popcorn makers to make very small batches of fresh roast.

A hot air popcorn popper was my first roaster. It worked fine except for the chaff cleanup.

The video was fun, although I personally prefer a slightly lighter roast ;)

What do you guys use for a coffee pot? I am looking at 12 volt coffee pots, but the reviews I read about them say they don't work well and take far too long. I was also considering an inverter to power a regular coffee pot. My inverter is only a 400 watt with 800 peak and our coffee pot is 650 watts. May need to look at other inverters.Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom