Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
ski3pin said:
Don't forget they filled your tank, checked the oil, and washed the windshield for you! With that in mind, I'm going to start asking for my employee discount.
Yeah they found a way to charge us more and cut out the "service".
That's why they aren't called service stations any longer.
Gotta have it to get where we want to go,so we just grin and bear it.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Yeah they found a way to charge us more and cut out the "service".
That's why they aren't called service stations any longer.
Gotta have it to get where we want to go,so we just grin and bear it.
Frank
They didn't found a way (sic), we did it to ourselves.
When I was a young man (in the pliocene) I worked at a service station with one island 'full service' and the other 'self service'. I think there was a 3¢ a gallon difference in price. The full service pumps got little business: usually dressed up ladies and guys in suits.

The cheapest gas I remember as a boy is 14.7¢ during a 'gas war' - stuck in my memory because it was the only time I can remember seeing anything other than 9/10.

I think here in Ca. we had full/self service through the early 70's.
Maybe the first oil embargo finally did away with the full service.
Oh well we have to have it,so complaining won't change anything.
Just get the cheapest you can and use it wisely.
rank

In high school, before self service was the norm, it was cool to pump your own gas.

Early 80s, 60 Minutes ran a piece on traveling bands of “mechanics” along interstate highways who would scam drivers into unnecessary repairs, often by surreptitiously squirting some light oil onto a “leaking” shock absorber and scaring drivers into a safety repair. Several days after the broadcast, on a return to trip to SoCal and passing through Tucson on I-10, I had two such scammers try that vary thing. Big gas station with empty repair bays; remember those? Despite their warnings of impending highway doom, they couldn’t understand why I was laughing so loud and long. I told them they needed to start watching Sunday night TV.

Uh...sorry for the detour, back to rising fuel prices.

I just paid $2.899 for regular at a station on I-40 in Arizona a few miles east of California. I'm westbound...so this is probably the last of the 'pleasant' prices.
;)

Now those service bays are Mini Marts.
Or most are. In Cambria ,Ca. where the price of gas
is IMO the highest in the state,there still are a couple stations
with actual service bays and mechanics.

"Times are a changing",folks or so the song goes.
Frank

A late-April fuel tour of California's Interstate 5

(gallon of regular)
-- Coalinga: $4.339
-- Dunnigan: $3.899
-- Weed: $3.959

I was in Schertz Texas in January gas was $2.49 a gallon. Took a trip back to Schertz the end of March/April. Gas was down to $2.19 a gallon while we were going up in CA, TX was going down. Driving home gas prices go nuts when we cross into CA, I always fill up on AZ. Highest price seen was $5.30 in Lee Vining. Remember there is only $0.62 more gas tax in CA than in TX. The rest is greed.

Returned last week from a trip from Central Oregon to Missoula Montana and back:

Lowest price I paid was $2.74 at a Sinclair on Reserve St. in Missoula.
Highest price I paid was $3.30 at The Chevron in Ritzville Wa.

I should mention this was a float trip/base at family trip, thus no Grandby and Bum Around Ford. That means these are Gas and not Diesel prices.

Now the rumor is that due to a shortage of, wait for it,
truck drivers that haul gas around from station to station.
That's what has driven up the price. and the lack of supply.
Go figure.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Now the rumor is that due to a shortage of, wait for it,
truck drivers that haul gas around from station to station.
That's what has driven up the price. and the lack of supply.
Go figure.
Frank
I've read the same thing about shortage of fuel-truck drivers. I'm thinking I should offer my services to help out the country.
Now that I've towed a travel trailer across the country, there and back -- twice, I think I'm ready for driving the big rigs.
:cool:

MarkBC said:
I've read the same thing about shortage of fuel-truck drivers. I'm thinking I should offer my services to help out the country.
Now that I've towed a travel trailer across the country, there and back -- twice, I think I'm ready for driving the big rigs.
:cool:
Mark that job would give you the extra money to pay for the "gold plated gas".
Frank

$3.999 at my favorite Chevron here in Camarillo, 4 miles down the road from us. Consistently $.50 less per gallon than the Chevron down the street from us which makes it financially worth the trip.

BTW: isn’t it about time to do away with the 1/10 of a cent pricing? Referencing the above numbers, I paid $4/gal. ‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom