Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Most of those are poorly done, easily detectable. I did however come across one that was well done and nearly fooled me. If my paranoia level had been a little less they might have got me.

craig333 said:
We built the internet so I'm a little surprised we don't have the technical know how to overcome these hackers. As for nothing happening to the hackers? We'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised if something happens behind the scenes.
Unless it is well publicized that the hackers had an 'accident' there is no deterrent.

buckland said:
It is very complex. Everything .... is on a system and those systems are all web based for access and programming... Hell even new refrigerators and your home printer, thermostat.... it is now inseparable from the IOT (Internet of Things).... And it is good in many ways but there is always the flip side of things. It can be protected...at a cost.... and bottom line they were skimpy on that front. Gotta lock the car.... gotta lock the computers.

I understand being on the web makes things easy and convenient - for everybody, including hackers in Russia, China, Iran, Nairobi, . . .
Ease and convenience at the expense of security is a fools bargain. I just don't understand the rational of having control of critical infrastructure accessible to anyone anywhere.

Yes I can lock my car, but out there is someone who has figured out how to pick the lock and my first clue is the loss of my car. My only real protection is making the lock inaccessible to the thief.

Local news has been interesting to follow. Apparently NC has been affected to a greater degree than other mid-Atlantic or Southeastern states due to the fact that over 90% of our motor fuel supplies come up via Colonial. Port facilities in VA, MD, PA, SC, and GA apparently deliver significant portions of those states' fuels, but NC's smaller port facilities don't receive much, if any, in the way of motor fuels.

By this morning, some 72% of retailers in NC were out of fuel. Up to and over 50% of retailers in neighboring states. The largest public school systems in the Raleigh/Research Triangle Park region, home to at least a couple of million, reverted to in-home learning for today since neither busses using diesel nor teachers / staff at the schools, nor parents driving the kids to school, can get fuel.

Foy

Here in New England … first time I have seen gas and diesel at same price… $2.89 yesterday

$4.19 in Grass Valley. Was in Iowa last weekend, $2.89 gal in Cedar Rapids.

Prices are steady in Tucson. Been within $0.10 of $3.00 for months and months. It does get more expensive as you leave metropolitan areas. That fuel has stayed so low for so long is almost mind-boggling. I'm going to guess that the difference between California and Arizona price are taxes, there is lots of refining happening in California, and none in Arizona.

Part is taxes and part is multiple formulas required by California. Changes and smaller batches affect prices.

Things could get interesting in Ca this summer as rolling blackouts from renewable energy requirements, and wildfire prevention clash with electric vehicles for energy demands. Showing off your new Tesla brick in the driveway may not be as satisfying as hoped. :unsure:

Paul

I paid $3.79/gal today in Lakeview, OR...on US 395 in southern Oregon.
Would have been 10¢/gal less if I'd paid cash.

ski3pin said:
What are you doing in Austin? Are you heading to Great Basin?
On Monday I HAD to leave Bend because it was so freaking hot and my house doesn't have a/c and I didn't want to die.
My plan to camp on the cool coast didn't work out.
So I decided to link together stays in lodging with air conditioning as a road trip tour through areas I like: Lakeview, Alturas, (lunch in Gerlach), Fallon, now Austin. Elko tomorrow night then probably home.

Nice way to beat the heat! Are you getting hit with the thunderstorms? Will you check out how Lemoille Canyon is recovering from the fire? Big Fourth of July doings in Elko tomorrow? Safe travels!

ski3pin said:
Nice way to beat the heat! Are you getting hit with the thunderstorms? Will you check out how Lemoille Canyon is recovering from the fire? Big Fourth of July doings in Elko tomorrow? Safe travels!
No thunderstorms so far.

I was thinking of driving up Lemoille tomorrow, I should arrive in Elko early enough.

Here in Austin I'm staying in the "Cozy Mountain Motel". Though I've driven through Austin more times than I can count, I've NEVER spent the night in town in over 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom