Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
$4.19 yesterday in Grass Valley. The good news is it's still available.

We in NC just found our way to the $3.00/ gallon level for the first time in quite a while. But not such a hassle inasmuch as nearly 66% of the retailers in NC and around 42% of the retailers in GA, SC, and VA are slam out of gas as of this afternoon.

Foy

buckland said:
Foy is this gas pipeline shortage also Diesel?
As I understand it, yes, the Colonial Pipeline supplies around 40% of the gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel for the mid-Atlantic and Southeastern states. The cyber-attack comes on the heels of reported large scale shortages of tanker drivers distributing fuels from the various tank farm terminals served by Colonial to retail outlets. Colonial says they expect to be fully operational by the end of this week, but it would appear that there may be no gasoline to be found pretty much anywhere at least here in NC by some time tomorrow. It's pretty incredible how quickly it developed. The pipeline shut down at some point over the weekend so we're looking at basically a full week out of service. Surely panic buying at the retail level has a role, but when there's nothing whatsoever flowing from the tank farms to the retailers, retailers which normally get truckloads every couple or three days flat out run out of product.

Good thing I'm chained to my desk collecting money for the Gummint now instead of trying to get out of town for the weekend!

Foy

Just did a 400 mile trip from the Outer Banks of NC to Pinehurst, NC and I can relay from personal observation that the vast majority of stations are out of fuel. This includes any grade of gas and diesel.

Those that do have some are limiting purchases to $20. Price per gallon is well over $3/gal as I just paid $3.199 in the one store that I could find some. It’s time s like this where availability outweighs price for those of us who have to drive...

craig333 said:
As I understand it they pigs... separate the various products so a single pipeline can carry an assortment of products.
So they're not just good for bacon, ham and truffle-hunting -- cool!

The pipeline is evidently flowing again. Great news.

The resolution though is perhaps not so good. Evidently Colonial Pipeline paid a $5,000,000 ransom to the hackers.

Government evidently didn't or couldn't do much to resolve the problem.

As a result we should anticipate many more hack attacks on our basic infrastructure and the payment of ransoms to get them to let go of whatever they strike.

It shouldn't be this way....

craig333 said:
As I understand it they use pigs https://www.rigzone.com/training/insight.asp?insight_id=310&c_id=#:~:text=Additionally%2C%20sealing%20pigs%20are%20used,cast%20pigs%20and%20spherical%20pigs.to separate the various products so a single pipeline can carry an assortment of products.
That's correct. As I understand the operations, pigs separate not only grades of products but products of different refiners. Once the various products reach the tank farms, they're stored based on grades/types of fuel and by refiner but not necessarily by retailer. Additive packages unique to retailer fuel brands are added when the tanker trucks are filled from common base fuels, so until it gets into the tanker for the drive to the retailer, all unleaded regular is, well, just unleaded regular. It becomes the "Tiger in your tank" only for the last few miles of its journey.

FB

Stray Dog said:
The pipeline is evidently flowing again. Great news.

The resolution though is perhaps not so good. Evidently Colonial Pipeline paid a $5,000,000 ransom to the hackers.

Government evidently didn't or couldn't do much to resolve the problem.

As a result we should anticipate many more hack attacks on our basic infrastructure and the payment of ransoms to get them to let go of whatever they strike.

It shouldn't be this way....
Yeah, the discussion descends into the mosh pit of partisan politics pretty quickly, which these forums, thank goodness, strictly avoid, but suffice it to say there is some pretty strong criticism out there related to the Gummint's response. From the head of cyber security at Department of Homeland Security, no less.

Determination of what the Gummint's response should or should not be is well above my pay grade. Call me the E-5 of the tax practice world--Petty Officer 2nd Class in US Navy terms. When my son left the Navy as a PO-2, he said it was the best pay grade in the Navy. You have enough rank to not get stuck with all of the crap jobs, and not enough rank to be responsible for much.

Foy

We built the internet so I'm a little surprised we don't have the technical know how to overcome these hackers. As for nothing happening to the hackers? We'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised if something happens behind the scenes.

There are white knight hackers who would target these low-lifes. At least we can hope that they get what is due them for their highway robbery.... people who fleece others especially vulnerable folks ...man it boils my blood.

It is very complex. Everything .... is on a system and those systems are all web based for access and programming... Hell even new refrigerators and your home printer, thermostat.... it is now inseparable from the IOT (Internet of Things).... And it is good in many ways but there is always the flip side of things. It can be protected...at a cost.... and bottom line they were skimpy on that front. Gotta lock the car.... gotta lock the computers.

I grew up on a farm in Virginia nearby -7 crow miles - to at least one leg of the Colonial pipeline.

I remember seeing it created...they had a narrow little bulldozer with about a 4 foot wide blade the shovel operator would lower by cable, WITH THE OPERATOR, down into the trench ever so often to work the bottom of the trench.

When I was about 18 there was an explosion on the pipeline one summer night around 9 pm.

My parents said the kitchen curtains lifted straight inward from the shock wave and before the blast was heard.

I was in town about 20 miles away and you could see the glow in the clouds as I drove home.

Big crater in corn field and it took about 15 hours for it to burn out.

Childhood memories...and no hackers.

Back
Top Bottom