Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
I paid $3.039/gal for Regular in Waycross, Georgia today.

"Waycross" because back in the day, once upon a time, multiple railroads crossed at that town. Highways still do.

Just bought a 2021 Tundra with a 38 gallon tank. Figure we can drive to cheap gas pretty easy with that.

I can still find gas for $2.999 in northeastern suburbs of St. Paul.
Most stations are $3.099 - $3.199

TFL Truck just ran a segment where Andre drives from Houston back to Boulder. When he fills the tank at the start of his trip you can see he’s paying about $2.85/gal. I openly wept.

I saw a $2.99 unleaded regular at a WalMart's Murphy Express fuel plaza in North Wilkesboro, NC on Friday. Most ever outlet in central and western NC has been holding at around $3.19-$3.29 for the last week.

If you're headed to Yellowstone from the west, gas up anywhere but Island Park, Idaho.
I recently paid $3.29 in Bozeman, Montana, $3.34 in Ennis, Montana, $3.54 in Rexburg, Idaho and $3.59 in West Yellowstone. But I believe the folks in Island Park have discovered California pricing, they are running anywhere from $3.99 to $4.29.

Sleddog said:
If you're headed to Yellowstone from the west, gas up anywhere but Island Park, Idaho.
I recently paid $3.29 in Bozeman, Montana, $3.34 in Ennis, Montana, $3.54 in Rexburg, Idaho and $3.59 in West Yellowstone. But I believe the folks in Island Park have discovered California pricing, they are running anywhere from $3.99 to $4.29.
The last 3 times I was out that way in my diesel pickup the ID prices were head and shoulders higher than in MT and WY, and not just near YNP. I assumed it was a state fuel tax thing.

It is a state tax thing with most of Idaho, but it looks a lot like Island Park is now charging a "tourist" premium. Used to be about a 30 cent difference between Island Park and other nearby towns, that difference is now 60 cents or more.

Sleddog said:
It is a state tax thing with most of Idaho, but it looks a lot like Island Park is now charging a "tourist" premium. Used to be about a 30 cent difference between Island Park and other nearby towns, that difference is now 60 cents or more.
I see what you mean. And I guess there is a single retailer in Island Park--Mack's Inn? I bought diesel down by Driggs in 2020 to keep from having to shoehorn the truck and trailer into a tight spot over in Jackson, WY and I recall the rural Driggs price was then similar to the tourist town Jackson price. I now recall telling the wife "good thing we fueled back in the Driggs area, look at the price here" as we passed through IP on the way to the Centennial Valley.

Fenner, California off of Interstate 40 in the eastern Mojave Desert. We bought 6 gallons. The truck ran very well with this high dollar fuel.

Arizona-Nov-2021-248-copy.jpg

Gas is $3.61 to $3.99 here in Redmond Oregon. Last week over on the coast at Newport I bought regular for $3.19. Important information if you’re headed east to Boston Mass from Newport Ore via US Hwy 20, reportedly the longest road in the US at 3365mi.

Just thought everyone should know that.

ski3pin said:
And to get ready for holiday driving...........................now $4.90
Wow, our local stations just dropped down to $4.80! It's now the same price as Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley National Park.

Paid $4.98 today in Auburn. While in Hilo, Hi a few weeks ago I paid $4.36 at Union 76. Used to be gas in Hawaii was super expensive because it had to be shipped 2500 miles. Go figure.

MarkBC said:
I paid $3.199/gal for regular in Naples, Florida this morning.
And I paid the same price in Ft Lauderdale today as I did in Naples yesterday. Different brands and city.

In my cross-country wanders in the last couple of years it seems like there's a lot more variation, bigger range of prices, on the West Coast -- I mean even in the same town. In the Southeast US I can drive the whole state and see little variation -- across state lines, too.
For example, last summer in Redding, CA I saw a range of prices of $1/gallon. Less but similar in Bend Oregon.

So...it is possible to pay a lot for gas in the East, if you buy the right gas in a remote enough location.
Today at the Flamingo Marina, Everglades National Park, I paid $4.95/gal for regular. ("REC 90" grade -- apparently good for marine engines)

I'm glad it's available.

IMG_20220104_120433.jpg
IMG_20220104_120534.jpg
IMG_20220104_120323.jpg

I paid $3.299/gal for regular in Key Largo, Florida today.

I gotta say, Key Largo isn't nearly as exotic nor remote and a lot bigger than it was in 1948...

Back
Top Bottom