Fall Equinox!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Yep, it's that time again -- or will be later today, September 22: at 7:29 p.m. PDT, to be exact.
At that time we can finally answer the question: End of summer?

Some calendars may show the equinox as tomorrow, 23-Sept. If yours shows the fall/autumnal equinox on that date you should get a different calendar. I recommend the ONDA
Wild Desert Calendar.

Astro-Nerd stuff:
The equinox is an event that occurs at a specific moment in time, and in most of the world it's 23-September when it occurs. But where we live, in the Americas, it's still the 22nd at that moment.

From the US Naval Observatory webpage for "Earth's Seasons"; all times Universal Time, "UT" (aka "Greenwich Mean Time")
2014 (Date Hour Minute)
Equinoxes: Mar 20 16 57 Sept 23 02 29
Solstices: June 21 10 51 Dec 21 23 03
And in the Pacific Daylight Time zone we're 7 hours behind UT, so September 22, 7:29 p.m.

The US Naval Observatory website's Data Services page is a great resource for timing of all sorts of astro-event/almanac info, besides equinoxes/solstices: moon phases, sun positions, eclipses, etc. :) Check it out!

Sure would like to see some of this weather here in the Sierra's.
This is from the Red Rocks NWR Montana. Looking toward east toward Yellowstone.
Happy Fall.
Frank

Attachments

• yellowstone 9-2006 081.jpg
    yellowstone 9-2006 081.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 95
Fall is often said to be some of the finest outdoor-activity weather of the year...I SAY THAT often!

So what's with Oregon's upcoming weather? :unsure:

weather_97212_20140923-1.jpg weather_97465_20140923-1.jpg

Dampness forecast even for the High Desert:
weather_97701_20140923-1.jpg

Yeah, I know -- I shouldn't complain about precipitation in Oregon when California is so drought-y...
I'd send it south if I could. ;)

"Some calendars may show the equinox as tomorrow, 23-Sept. If yours shows the fall/autumnal equinox on that date you should get a different calendar. I recommend the ONDA
Wild Desert Calendar."

+1
This is a terrific publication - beautiful photos and supports a great organization!

Looks like a big winter-style front is moving on shore in the PNW...wound up around the low out in the Pacific.

VIS4_20140923-2.gif

Yep, it's fall.

And our local weather guy just informed us that the next three months are expected to be colder and wetter than normal. Yes! Let's hope that means a good snowpack for the Sacramento Mts. The remnants of Odile have stuck around and it's been warm and wet for the last week. It hasn't felt like autumn. That should change soon.

Well its raining at my place right now. Forecast called for .01 inches but looking out my window I think its going to exceed that. Can't tell if its raining over the fire area, maps are not working at the moment. I imagine it is.

Just overcast here, with some wind and cooler, they say rain later, maybe wash away the smoke and smell from the King fire. Might just have to bring my rain gear when i walk "Bob" in a few minutes. Yep, 10 degrees above normal here yesterday, but supposed to drop to 10 degrees below normal later---strange early Fall.

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Just overcast here, with some wind and cooler, they say rain later, maybe wash away the smoke and smell from the King fire. Might just have to bring my rain gear when i walk "Bob" in a few minutes. Yep, 10 degrees above normal here yesterday, but supposed to drop to 10 degrees below normal later---strange early Fall.

Smoke
Just started raining as i finished posting ----great.

Smoke

Here at the coast it's light rain/mist,but the plants and streets are getting a bit of a wash job.
All summer things were so dry and dusty here. Not even our normal drippy heavy fog to help get rid of the dust.
Oh well no use complaining. There are people with worse living areas.
Go out and start the rain dance.
Frank

Looks like its just starting to move over the fire. Animation showing it should get a good amount. Hope so.

Excellent news (except for the flooding and landslides)! Would be nice if you could avoid the extremes...

Yeah, we need the rain so bad I'll have to hope for more in spite of the bad that comes along with it. Maybe a bit of reseeding can be done before it gets too cold?

Possible snow on the Sierra passes -

Special Weather Statement
Code:
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
250 PM PDT FRI SEP 26 2014

CAZ070>073-NVZ001>005-271200-
SURPRISE VALLEY CALIFORNIA-LASSEN-EASTERN PLUMAS-
EASTERN SIERRA COUNTIES-GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-MONO-
MINERAL AND SOUTHERN LYON COUNTIES-GREATER RENO-CARSON CITY-
MINDEN AREA-WESTERN NEVADA BASIN AND RANGE INCLUDING PYRAMID LAKE-
NORTHERN WASHOE COUNTY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CEDARVILLE...EAGLEVILLE...
FORT BIDWELL...PORTOLA...SUSANVILLE...WESTWOOD...SIERRAVILLE...
LOYALTON...SOUTH LAKE TAHOE...TAHOE CITY...TRUCKEE...
MARKLEEVILLE...BRIDGEPORT...COLEVILLE...LEE VINING...
MAMMOTH LAKES...HAWTHORNE...YERINGTON...SMITH VALLEY...MINA...
SCHURZ...GLENBROOK...INCLINE VILLAGE...SPARKS...VERDI...
GARDNERVILLE...VIRGINIA CITY...FERNLEY...FALLON...LOVELOCK...
SILVER SPRINGS...NIXON...IMLAY...EMPIRE...GERLACH
250 PM PDT FRI SEP 26 2014

...WINTER CONDITIONS POSSIBLE IN THE SIERRA TONIGHT AND
SATURDAY...

LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE ACROSS THE SIERRA WITH AN AREA OF
PRECIPITATION DEVELOPING OVER THE SIERRA AND WESTERN NEVADA
TONIGHT AND SATURDAY. THIS LOW WILL DROP SNOW LEVELS TO 7000 TO
8000 FEET...WITH A BRIEF PERIOD OF SNOW LEVELS AS LOW AS 6000 TO
6500 FEET EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

MOST SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD REMAIN ABOVE 8000 FEET, WHERE 3 TO
6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE. HOWEVER A COUPLE INCHES OF SNOW MAY STICK
TO ROADS AS LOW AS 7000 FEET. SNOW WILL LEAD TO SLICK ROADS OVER
THE HIGHER SIERRA PASSES, ESPECIALLY THOSE CLOSED DURING THE
WINTER IN ALPINE AND MONO COUNTIES. HOWEVER MOTORISTS TRAVELING
OVER CARSON PASS, ECHO PASS, DONNER SUMMIT AND THE MOUNT ROSE
HIGHWAY SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR SLUSHY OR SNOW COVERED ROADS
LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

RAIN AND HIGH ELEVATION SNOW SHOWERS MAY PERSIST INTO SUNDAY, AS
THE LOW SLOWLY MOVES INTO EASTERN NEVADA. HOWEVER, ACCUMULATING
SNOW IS LESS LIKELY AT THIS TIME.

Ski I am looking out from my house to the northeast and I am watching huge "thunderheads" move to the east,
this must be associated with the low moving into the Sierras.
Interesting weather.
The last storm dropped snow over Lassen Pass to close the road.
Bring it on.
Frank

It's cold, cloudy and really feels like fall. I almost started a fire, but instead started the heater up-no use rushing into Fall :p ; Saturday, now may be a different story, just mite start that fire, open up the windows a little and spend the day watching football and then some baseball-anything to keep from stacking more wood in the wood shed. Yah, the be talking snow in the high country-can't wait :D !

Smoke

It's 12:30 p.m. and sunny but it's only reached 57°F in Bend.
It's supposed to be in the 70s later this week -- sure feels like fall today.

Back
Top Bottom