Into the Winds

Thanks for the report and pics, 3pin!

For sure, it is hard to beat the Winds for pure beauty. And I have to add that it is good that not all the beautiful places in the US are national parks.

I'm enjoying this TR a lot so far. I cringed when reading about Camp Bubba - too many camps like those in my neck of the woods.

I hope you'll tell us how your NEMO tent held up to the big storm.

Wow, 3pin! Thanks for all the great photos of one of my favorite mountains. Back in the mid-80s we camped at Marten Lake below Squaretop and managed to reach the summit by an easy 5th class route. It really is flat up there! Plus we actually saw Martens at Marten Lake.

While hiking out we ran into a group of six backpackers whom we had met a few days earlier. We asked why they were leaving early and learned they had arrived at their planned camp site only to be set apon by a number of bears. The bears chased them around the woods until the hikers tossed off their packs which the bears then quickly cleaned out! It seemed that the bears in that area had figured out that backpackers all carried lots tasty food and were also easily intimidated. I wonder if that crew of bears is still operating along the Green River?

Doug Stewart said:
Wow, 3pin! Thanks for all the photos great photos of one of my favorite mountains. Back in the mid-80s we camped at Marten Lake below Squaretop and managed to reach the summit by an easy 5th class route. It really is flat up there! Plus we actually saw Martens at Marten Lake.

While hiking out we ran into a group of six backpackers whom we had met a few days earlier. We asked why they were leaving early and learned they had arrived at their planned camp site only to be set apon by a number of bears. The bears chased them around the woods until the hikers tossed off their packs which the bears then quickly cleaned out! It seemed that the bears in that area had figured out that backpackers all carried lots tasty food and were also easily intimidated. I wonder if that crew of bears is still operating along the Green River?
So Stew, I know someone that you know that has been talking about the top of Squaretop and I don't know if I'll let her read your post. :eek:

Want to go? :)

Back
Top Bottom