It's Spring...somewhere

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Here -- at 30° Lat, 100° Lon -- it's not only the first day of meteorological spring but feels like 'practical' spring, too. It's 80°F.
IMG_20240301_153315.jpg

Now...with winter storm warnings and even blizzard warnings issued for the far West...well, that doesn't seem very spring-y.

But I remember one Memorial Day weekend - a million years ago - when I met my brother and sister in law in Lakeview, Oregon, intending to spend the long weekend camped at Hart Mountain. It was pouring rain, so we checked into a Lakeview motel for the night.
The next morning we awoke to 18 inches of new snow! It was Lakeview's biggest single snowstorm of the whole winter -- and it was late spring!
And it's not unusual for the local ski area to reach maximum snow depth in April.

Best wishes and good luck to the Western snow-burdened.

Well it sorta feels like spring here on the coast.A little rain during the night and
maybe more later today. No snow for us ,oh maybe on the peaks around the Salinas valley.
Stay safe and welcome to spring.

Frank

IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

The national news is reporting a major snow storm in the Sierra's. I hope those who live there survive without issues

80 is closed. Chain controls on everything else. I may take the dog and the new Jeep up to the snow next week but I'm not crazy enough to head up now.

I can understand the person that rented a cabin for the weekend and really wants to get up there but they interviewed a lady that was turning around in Colfax. "I didn't expect a storm, I guess I should have checked the weather forecast" /facepalm

I don't think you could get more media coverage yet here is someone that clueless.

craig333 said:
I can understand the person that rented a cabin for the weekend and really wants to get up there but they interviewed a lady that was turning around in Colfax. "I didn't expect a storm, I guess I should have checked the weather forecast" /facepalm

I don't think you could get more media coverage yet here is someone that clueless.
Selective ignorance I think it's called.
Frank

"Oh the weather started getting rough
the tiny ship was tossed
if not for the courage of the fearless crew
the minnow would be lost............................"

First clean up completed. We only got 6 inches overnight but very heavy wet sierra cement. It's snow like this when we really appreciate diesel. It's 27 now and snowing heavily. The new snow as the storm continues will be light and fluffy.

As I was busting through the plow berm on the County road with the big blower, a long line of city dwellers in their snorkled and lifted rigs drove by to come up here and "play in the snow."

Maybe, but probably not, someday they'll get a clue how utterly unwelcome they are - except by the local station that sells them very expensive gas and yuppie coffee drinks. They spread out and rut and pack down the residential streets, impede the plows, and make it much harder to move snow.

And they have no idea how to drive safely.

Of course I'm biased. But I do have that history of 30 years of winter mountain search and rescue on skis and all the stories about responding to the after affects of their antics..................

Ski please post up some pictures of your tractor at work when you get a chance. It brings back memories of when I was a kid and we had huge (for me anyways) snowstorms in NH.

ski3pin said:
. . . We only got 6 inches overnight but very heavy wet sierra cement . . .
Mr. ski3pin:

What do you put on your snow equipment (shovels, snowblowers, blades) to keep your 'very heavy wet sierra cement' from sticking?

We get something similar here in Minnesota in the late season storms that is very heavy, sticky crud that I have to shake the shovel to get off, continually unclog the chute on the snow blower, etc.
Tried spray wax, Pam, WD-40; doesn't work or only works for a little while.

Any advice is appreciated.

jim

The local hydro electric project operators use this on their huge snow removal rotaries to make them slippery. They buy it in 55 gallon drums. I have a buddy who swears by it on his walk behind snowblower and shovels. This is also an option -

Fluid Film

While not home my neighbor is using diesel fuel and hydraulic power this morning to remove the first wave of the heavy wet Sierra snow.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpg
    IMG_6085.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 35
ski3pin said:
Tools Patrick, tools, not toys. :)
Says the guy with many, many toys, tools. :p
Plus, these tools came with an operator who makes homemade cinnamon rolls and the morning coffee. How fortunate can you be? :rolleyes:

Paul

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom