It's Spring...somewhere

This Friday there is a low of 3 deg F in Labrador City ,Labrador. I’m headed to Newfoundland on May 1 from northern PA and i head for Labrador City before turning East to cross the trans Labrador highway. I expect a cold spring!
Steve

I was hot and cold all in the same day. Gotta love a state where you can go from negative elevation to over 8k in a couple hours!

The first of May, it is officially Spring here. The white fur are dropping yellow pollen. It covers everything. In a month the ponderosa will take over with their fine yellow silt.

We pulled the chains off the tractor, pressure washed the big snowblower, painted all the worn places, and put it away for the season. It's time to work on the deck and awning.

ski3pin said:
<snip>

We pulled the chains off the tractor, pressure washed the big snowblower, painted all the worn places, and put it away for the season. It's time to work on the deck and awning.
Our current forecast discussion -

Confidence is increasing for a weather system to drop down from
the Gulf of Alaska, bringing active weather over the weekend.
Widespread precipitation is in the forecast, in the form of
Valley/foothill showers and mountain snow. QPF has trended
higher, and the current guidance from WPC shows amounts of 0.50"
to 1.50" in the Valley, 1" to 2" in the foothills, and 1.50" to 3"
in the mountains from Friday night into Sunday morning. For snow,
the National Blend of Models (NBM) shows a 40 to 80 percent
probability of 6 inches of snow above 6000 feet, with a 45 to 75
percent probability of 8 inches of snow above 6500 feet from
Saturday into early Sunday. Snow levels will initially be high,
around 6000 to 8000 feet late Friday night or early Saturday
morning. As cold air moves in, snow levels will lower through the
day Saturday and then drop to around 3500 to 4000 feet Saturday
night into early Sunday morning. A few lingering showers will be
possible on Sunday, however the majority of precipitation is
expected to fall on Saturday.

Isolated thunderstorms can also be anticipated for Saturday, with
a 15 to 25 percent probability of thunderstorm development. Best
chances would be in the afternoon and evening hours. Expect small
hail, gusty winds, lightning and brief heavy rain with any
thunderstorms that develop. Gusty southwest winds will also develop
across the area on Saturday. Strongest winds will be in the
northern/central Sacramento Valley, northeast foothills, and in
the mountains. The NBM shows a 35 to 75 percent probability of
wind gusts greater than 40 mph in the Valley/foothills, and a 65
to 95 percent probability in the mountains. Much cooler
temperatures return to the area this weekend as the system moves
through, with highs dropping to the 50s and 60s in the Valley and
foothills.

I can't complain. Puts off the annual call to city to turn on the sprinklers at the dog park.

Advisory was upgraded to a winter storm warning

Winter Storm Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
1245 PM PDT Fri May 3 2024

CAZ068-069-041400-
/O.UPG.KSTO.WW.Y.0014.240504T1800Z-240505T1500Z/
/O.NEW.KSTO.WS.W.0016.240504T1800Z-240505T1500Z/
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Chester, Quincy, and Blue Canyon
1245 PM PDT Fri May 3 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM SATURDAY TO 8 AM PDT
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow, heavy at times, expected. Total snow accumulations
  of 5 to 12 inches, mainly above 5000 feet. Up to a foot or more
  of snow accumulation at the highest elevations. Winds gusting
  from 30 to 50 mph out of the southwest.

* WHERE...Western Plumas County/Lassen Park and West Slope
  Northern Sierra Nevada Counties.

* WHEN...From 11 AM Saturday to 8 AM PDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be difficult from snow covered roads and
  reduced visibilities. Chain controls are likely Saturday
  afternoon and evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow levels will be around 4000 to 5000
  feet Saturday afternoon, lowering to around 3000 feet on Sunday
  morning. Snowfall rates of around 1 to 2 inches per hour are
  possible from 10 AM to 10 PM on Saturday which will lead to
  reduced visibilities and snow covered roads. Minor snow
  accumulations of 1 to 4 inches possible at 4000 feet.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Hee hee, now that all is spring maintenance, time for shovel exercise....

ski3pin said:

The snow has begun. I do not expect it to stick. Julie does not want the chains back on the tractor. She's already ecstatic at the possibility of shoveling snow. Folks who clutch to old wives tales are giddy - it is snowing on the dogwood bloom.

I've got a stew in the crock pot. The house smells wonderful. Julie asked if I wanted sourdough buttermilk waffles and cinnamon rolls tomorrow morning. My answer? :)

Still rain here in NE California; snow and much colder this PM (and I just put out the humming bird feeders too!!). Tried to walk Timber a while ago-nope-to wet (I didn't know border collies dissolved in a hard rain?). Boy am I ready for the hot weather-the hotter the better. Hmmm, stew-sounds good Monte!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
<snip> Tried to walk Timber a while ago-nope-to wet (I didn't know border collies dissolved in a hard rain?). Boy am I ready for the hot weather-the hotter the better. Hmmm, stew-sounds good Monte!

Smoke
That's a good one Smoke! We didn't know that either. :)

I think it has something to do with her Australian (no rain) cattle dog part-Bobby, my Border Collie before her, loved water in any shape or form :rolleyes: !

Smoke

ski3pin said:
The snow has begun. I do not expect it to stick. Julie does not want the chains back on the tractor. She's already ecstatic at the possibility of shoveling snow. Folks who clutch to old wives tales are giddy - it is snowing on the dogwood bloom.

I've got a stew in the crock pot. The house smells wonderful. Julie asked if I wanted sourdough buttermilk waffles and cinnamon rolls tomorrow morning. My answer? :)
Cinnamon rolls sound good.
Enjoy the snow on the dogwoods.
Frank

Sure wanted to see the ninth winter this season, but missing it. 2 days ago it was 100 degrees at Furnace Creek. Is that hot enough for you Smoke? Right now 95 degrees at Mesquite Nevada. All dry no clouds, but wind.

ski3pin said:

Hopefully Julie will get her wish and some of it will stick. Not on the dogwood, but on the ground where a shovel can be wielded. Enjoy the dinner and breakfast!

ski3pin said:

So much for that prediction. Six inches out on the deck. Julie's out in a t-shirt shoveling. It is still dumping.

edit: She came right in and put on proper clothing. Four inches on the driveway. Should I start the timer?

I know, photos or it didn't happen.........................................

Winter-Storm-May-202405-copy-1.webp

Winter-Storm-May-202405-copy-4.webp

Winter-Storm-May-202405-copy-2.webp

Winter-Storm-May-202405-copy-3.webp

She's out shoveling the deck now. The crock pot timer just went off and biscuits are in the oven. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom