It's winter! (meteorologically)

It stopped snowing soon after I took the photos last night, but with a night in the upper teens (after the skies cleared) we still have snow-covered ground this morning.

Snow_20180212-2.jpg

A nice civilized amount of snow. ;)

Here it is late winter and in Central Oregon we're finally getting (well, forecast) multiple weeks of winter temperatures:

Weather_97701_20180216-1.jpg
Historical average temperatures for February in Bend are high of 44° F and low of 24°F, so we're close to that.
The average low temperature in Bend in April is 30°F (yes, that's spring in Central Oregon :rolleyes: )...so when we have mid-winter low temperatures above freezing -- as we've had for a lot of this winter -- that's mighty odd!

Forecast to be windy this weekend, with an "Advisory", and quite chilly -- below normal -- to start the week.

Sunday Night
A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Well, another 12 inches of snow this weekend bringing our total for the past month to something over 24 inches. Yep, spring is right around the corner, haha.

Actually, our temps are going to be in the 40s this coming week so we should do some serious melting. After 24 sub-zero nights so far, It's great to see the sun rising higher in the sky every day. It's been a long winter. I'm ready for summer.

Boy TIE, sure could use some of that snow here in the High Desert!! This Yen/Yang weather is not helping our snow pack like we need it to do. One day its clear and cold and temps are way below what they are supposed to be-then it snows enough to cover the ground-again real cold. The next day what snow we had melts off and it is cold again. It is supposed to be Spring and some plants are starting to come up to a strange new weather world! Another week of these 10 degree nights and 30 degree days! Time to fill up the wood bin again!

Smoke

Coming this way for us -

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 30. South southeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Monday
Snow before 10am, then snow showers, mainly between 10am and 4pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. Southwest wind 7 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Monday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 10pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 24. West northwest wind 6 to 11 mph becoming east northeast 12 to 17 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

My word, the weather report may be right-------it is snowing, not spitting, corn snowing, but really snowing. Now where did I put my snow shovel. Maybe I can barrow Ski's snow blower?

Don

Smokecreek1 said:
My word, the weather report may be right-------it is snowing, not spitting, corn snowing, but really snowing. Now where did I put my snow shovel. Maybe I can barrow Ski's snow blower?

Don
The diesel beast will be going to work soon! It is a blizzard outside now. :)

Today
Snow showers, mainly before 4pm. High near 34. Southwest wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

ski3pin said:

Today
Snow showers, mainly before 4pm. High near 34. Southwest wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Good news for the Sierras and California!

Wow, I thought I was in the Sierra's today. West Sac was blanketed in hail. Freeway had me wondering where the plows were. Cars carrying a load of hail looked like they'd just come down the hill. Still thundering outside. Traffic is, understandably a mess but for some reason my ride home wasn't bad.

If I add up the possible snow totals through the end of the week - 5"+12"+8" - I believe it equals winter............................

Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 36. Breezy, with a south wind 21 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Thursday Night
Snow showers. Low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Friday
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Friday Night
Snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 27.

Saturday
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31.

Saturday Night
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.

Back
Top Bottom