Low Cost Mods

Carpet. I know many just use an end piece and that may be cheaper but I like the

Apache Mills Enviroback Charcoal 60 in. x 36 in. Recycled Rubber/Thermoplastic Rib Door Mat and for $22.98 I don't have to run all over looking for carpet. Fit is almost perfect, just cut the 1" flat and length is just right for my Hawk. Mine is a custom build so a standard Hawk may be different. I cut 1/2 round holes on the inside corners and did cut out with a razor knife. See pictures below:
gallery_1903_734_49208.jpg

Rubber back
gallery_1903_734_4523.jpg

On the floor
gallery_1903_734_15980.jpg

Used the corner cutout as a extra entry floor mat. Carry brush in picture to clean when on the road.
gallery_1903_734_31093.jpg

Normally I shy away from the cheap plastic gimmicks at the RV stores because, well, they're cheap, plastic, and gimmicky. In a weak moment brought on by a heavy dose of VOCs fuming out of the shelves at the RV shop, I sprung $8.99 for one of those cheesy plasticky things: a "Pop-a-Plate." When my head cleared and I had installed it on the inside of my under-sink cabinet door, it was evident that my impaired judgement, this time anyway, paid off. It solved my paper plate storage issue and occupied otherwise unused space. It holds 140 paper plates out of the way, and they don't fall out every time I open the cabinet now. Thanks to Pop-a-Plate and our local pizza joint, which gives us 73 plates each time we order a pie, we are now assured free kindling for every camping trip. Seriously though, it actually works.

IMG_0888reduced.jpg

I also somewhat recently ditched the three-piece table from FWC and upgraded to the Lagun cockpit table (worth every penny). That's obviously not the low-cost part of this mod though. I was able to re-purpose the table base to make a cabinet door and small open shelf for the weird doorless cubby that was between my fridge and the front wall of my Hawk. The patina of the table base veneer matches the rest of my camper nicely. Technically I broke the $10 rule for this thread by buying a knob and hidden hinges which were necessary because there was nowhere to face-mount any hinges and have the door open to the right. I think the total was around $18 for the hardware. It made that open cubby into a fairly large pantry and the hinges do a great job of containing everything even on the roughest roads. Handles and wine bottles fit in there nicely too.

IMG_0884reduced.jpgIMG_0885reduced.jpg

Saw somewhere folks were looking for mesh storage bags online. Came across this website recently, some nice ideas! cheers

www.organizdobie.com

erod

I recently took ownership of a 2010 Outfitter Apex 8. I was suprised to find, or rather not to find; towel racks, shaving mirror, toilet paper dispenser and toiletry storage in the camper. Having some experience with rv's, and knowing myself a bit better now days, I didn't want to drill any holes in my new rig to fix these little things. I know as soon as I did, I'd figure a better way to do something and be left with a hole.
I've mounted all the above with Command Strips. They work even in the wet bath and haven't failed yet, even with100 deg days. I also mounted a power strip next to the sink.
I also used double faced tape to stick magnetic backing to a leatherett tray. I keep this stuck to the stove cover for my keys and wallet and stuff. If I need the stove, I just lay it on the bed.

We got tired of wet dish and hand towels hanging of various parts of the camper so I rigged this small laundry line over the sink area. Two small hooks screwed into the lift beams and a bit of laundry line. We used to string the rear bungee across and hang the evening's towels back there at night but it got in the way for nocturnal exits and entries.

Alan

Attachments

• DSC_0657.JPG
    DSC_0657.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 748
Was at a yard sale and saw a 6 ft strap new in a package for $0.25 can't pass that up. I have had one problem happen twice. The tall porta potties are top heavy when empty on the bottom and full on the top. First time was our first trip in the old Hawk and clean water was everywhere. Bottom stayed sealed and chemical did not leak. I then put a bungie cord around it. Did not have any problems until Bodie and it flipped over the budgie cord. I only had a part tank of clean water so very little spill.

I now have the 25 cent strap holding it in place.

sml_gallery_1903_734_947716.jpg

med_gallery_1903_734_762632.jpg

You know how when your stuff isn't perfectly level. Not a problem for things like steaks but for cooking eggs its annoying when they run off to one side of the pan. I kind of like cooking things that don't require a plate also so for an easier way to make a mcmuffin I scored a couple of egg rings. About $5 shipped.

craig333 said:
You know how when your stuff isn't perfectly level. Not a problem for things like steaks but for cooking eggs its annoying when they run off to one side of the pan. I kind of like cooking things that don't require a plate also so for an easier way to make a mcmuffin I scored a couple of egg rings. About $5 shipped.
Looks like they could double as bracelets or anklets, too (like, for when you go to Burning Man), so even a better bargain that just for eggs.

Faucet Extension.

We all hate how the short faucet winds up splashing water all over the counter.

My first thought was to use pvc. The o.d. on the faucet is 3/4". I just happened to have some clear hose with a 3/4" i.d. sitting in my project area so I thought I'd try that first.

As you can see the faucet doesn't extend very far over the sink. I unscrewed the the spout and cut it in the middle of the curve. A 4 1/2" piece of hose fit perfectly. I don't think it'll even need hose clamps. It now sits just about right in the middle of the sink.

Nice thing about the hose, if I decide it needs to be longer or shorter its only a minute project to modify it. I doubt I'll wind up needing something stiffer like the pvc.

Total time about ten minutes. Total cost=free

Not pretty but functional.

Back
Top Bottom