Low Cost Mods

Stole this one from Jay (chnlisle) and also Sunman

I got tired of finding all my cooking impedia strew about the camper after rough trails.

I installed camco latches to replace the OEM plastic tubular latches and velcro (installed by original owner).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111141840333?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

But I was still concerned with the drawers, especially the one above the fridge. We've lost spatulas and spoons in the oversized void above the drawer. I installed some rubberized cabinet mesh to keep things calm and ran it long so we can wrap it up over the cooking implements.

The drawers are supposed to stay put, with a plastic round piece of plastic riveted through the drawer bottom.
Mine sheared off within six months of owning the camper. I replaced it with another, but it's wearing a hole in the bottom of the drawer cutout on the cabinet face.

Voila! Straps a la Jay!

I even strapped between the doors. If I didn't insist upon traveling with a #6 cast iron pan, it probably would stay shut! :unsure:

I did all four drawers and three doors

I used flat webbing that I had from various outdoor gear. I went to the local hardware store and spent $8 on the snap kit (includes the tool for peening the button) and $6 for extra snaps.

Some shelves in the small cabinet... I had some birch plywood and stain laying around and I think I've got $12 in L brackets.

p937416115-4.jpg

p564911416-4.jpg

Here is a very simple method of holding gear in place as we travel. We picked up chrome plated one inch straps at Emigh Hardware down in Sacramento along with oval head stainless steel # 8 wood screws in various lengths. At REI we got one inch pack strap webbing and buckle snaps.

Cargo-Straps-021-web.jpg

We installed the straps in various locations to hold our bedding and packs and duffel bags in place.

Cargo-Straps-022-web.jpg

Cargo-Straps-026-web.jpg

Cargo-Straps-025-web.jpg

Cargo-Straps-023-web.jpg

Cargo-Straps-024-web.jpg

"Coat Hook" Idea for FWC, ATC.

Went to Home Depot and bought one "over the cabinet single hook" by Liberty $3.97. Using a vice changed its shape from a "U" to a "V". glued on velcro (male) on outside. (female-fuzzy on inside. Pulled thermal wrap (FWC Eagle) away from the end and threaded the hook into place. It holds a jacket and sweat suit (pictured). see pictures.

gallery_2684_425_9071.jpg

gallery_2684_425_2255.jpg

It's been brought to my attention that the initial limit of $10 for a mod was a bit low to limbo beneath.
After all, what does ten bucks buy anymore? Lunch?

When I started this thread in Nov 2011, I had no idea if it would have legs. We're now at 184 posts and 32k views, so that's good.
Apparently good enough that the admins have pinned this thread. I am honored, but this is your thread. The purpose of this thread is to show your ingenuity and genius to make a cool mod that costs $25 or less and share it with the forum. Extra credit for using something you already have in your garage or a repurposed item.

After scraping my head one time too many on the aluminum door frame I came up with a solution. I used a scrap piece of half inch pipe insulation to cover the top frame. I cut the foam just a little long so that friction alone holds it up. Screen door and door opperate as normal. Zero cost mod!

Edgewood said:
After scraping my head one time too many on the aluminum door frame I came up with a solution. I used a scrap piece of half inch pipe insulation to cover the top frame. I cut the foam just a little long so that friction alone holds it up. Screen door and door opperate as normal. Zero cost mod!
I have been using that for several years and it sure works great.Saves the head.
Glad someone else has come up with that also.
Frank

Pipe insulation works great for a lot of things. I like to have an extra piece in my shop for pipe repairs and a million other uses.

I put a length on both sides of the push board on the front of our 08 Hawk. The aluminum edges are quite square and sharp; directly overhead of where you lay your head at night. I think it was the very first mod I did to our Hawk, almost four years ago.

Great stuff. I use it on the Jeep when the windshield is folded down. I may have to take a look at the camper again and see if I can use some more.

Maybe pipe insulation should be part of a list of "Camper Ten Essentials" (along with duct tape, etc.)
Since it's foam it could be compressed to fit in a small, easily-stowable container:

Pipe-Insulation_in-a-can.jpg

Ice cubes stored in an Engle Refrigerator on Fridge mode NOT Freezer mode.

Place ice cubes in 1Qt Tupperware container. Fridge temp 39* only 7 degrees warmer then freezing. Cubes will last almost 7 days. Minimal melt water (cold) can be added to the whisky in your highball glass - "Cheers" !!

Travel with my two furry felines, and needed a boot to provide a wind and insect seal between the truck cab and through the sliding window on my FWC allowing my cats to go back and forth. Finding a boot was hard enough, and getting one made was quoted $200 by an upholsterer.

The easy solution, went to a motorcycle shop and bought an inner tube for a quad ATV, and pumped it up just enough to slip it into and out of the space between the cab and the camper. Now I have an effective seal when camping and pull it out and close the windows to keep all dust etc out when driving.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. nice to know the ATV quad is the right size

Less of a mod; more of a tip.

I filled my Rotopax gas cans for the first time yesterday afternoon. As I re-inserted the nozzles into the containers, I realized that when the time comes to use the gas, there is very little way to avoid getting gas on one's hands in that operation. Sure a little gas smell for the rest of the day is better than being stranded, but I thought I'd carry a few of those thin rubber gloves for that eventuality. They're also handy if you have to work on a greasy part of the truck.

The question then is the best way to carry the gloves without them getting tangled, punctured, etc. My solution was to roll/fold one pair up in a sheet of letter-size printer paper, before the last fold I bent the ends of the roll in so when I made the last fold I'd effectively made a simple envelope to keep dirt out and the gloves in. I taped the fold closed near the ends resulting in something like a large, flattish cigar. I labeled the tube so I'd remember what was in there when my memory needs a jog. The paper should also be handy to sit that greasy part on to keep it from picking up dirt from the ground or leaving grease on the work surface. I'll keep a couple pair with my tools and a couple in the carrier with the gas containers.

Can't recall if I've already posted this here, but Bill's post joggled my memory.

Don't toss that old shower curtain liner. Give it good scrubbing and then fold it up and stow it in the truck or camper. It's a traction aid. It's a clean and water-proof tarp to lay on while under the truck or to kneel on while installing chains. It can be a sun shade/awning (if not clear). I'll venture that if you have it along and need something to do something tarp-like with in a pinch, that it'll work. Best is that it folds smaller than most tarps, and assuming that you didn't purpose buy it, it's free! If you destroy it, then doesn't the current shower liner look a little long in the tooth? See, another free tarp!

ntsqd said:
Can't recall if I've already posted this here, but Bill's post joggled my memory.

Don't toss that old shower curtain liner. Give it good scrubbing and then fold it up and stow it in the truck or camper. It's a traction aid. It's a clean and water-proof tarp to lay on while under the truck or to kneel on while installing chains. It can be a sun shade/awning (if not clear). I'll venture that if you have it along and need something to do something tarp-like with in a pinch, that it'll work. Best is that it folds smaller than most tarps, and assuming that you didn't purpose buy it, it's free! If you destroy it, then doesn't the current shower liner look a little long in the tooth? See, another free tarp!
Good one!
Per the opening of this thread, "Extra points for speed of install and reuse of something you already own."

Okay, this mod is really cheap. It's not actually a mod, but a way to organize our 3-way fridge.

We like to make up sauces and bring condiments when out camping. I actually BBQ tomatoes and make a marinara sauce, plus there's always a jar of some jalepeno / habenero mix I've got going. You get the picture. We end up with half a dozen jars or bottles to fit in the fridge. How to travel rough road and not break bottles?

To organize all the food, I take two brown paper grocery bags, the size that a six pack fits in ;)
I double the bags and take kitchen shears and cut off the top of the bags, about half way down.
I insert the cut off top inside the doubled lower half. There you have it.

It's very easy to nest various bottles, jars and containers inside the folds of the upper bags. So nothing is banging and everything is nestled in for whatever rough trail I might be driving. After a week of use, we just recycle the bag and make a new one next trip.

The other tip is a mesh bag for veggies. We bring along a fair amount of veggies and to keep them under control we stick them in a small mesh bag (like the kind used for laundry). No longer does everything fall out of the fridge when I reach in there. When it's time to make dinner, we just pull out the whole bag. Simple.

Since I prefer my beer in bottles, I wrap each bottle with one of those half sheet paper towels to prevent glass on glass. The towels are quickly used up for normal cleanups so it's no waste. The weight of the bottle keeps the towels on when laying on their sides. Whenever I take the bottles off the shelves, I mover other items to keep then snug. And no this is not a mod, unless you tie dye them first:>)

Back
Top Bottom