Low Cost Mods

I use those free plastic bags from grocery stores for garbage bags
Cost = free!

Yep, me too!
(though...distribution of those bags in grocery stores has been banned in some cities, such as Portland, OR...though I think possession is still legal
wink.gif
)

I use those free plastic bags from Walmart and grocery stores for garbage bags but they always seem to be floating around and trying to get away. I took a empty paper towel tube and stuffed it full of the bags (I can get about 8 in) and now my bags are under control. If you really want to save space, stuff a tube with the towels still on. Now that I think of it, I'll do the same thing for my dog poop bags.

Cost = free!

Good one, Rotti! We also reuse plastic grocery bags for both uses listed above. :unsure:
Cool idea to stuff them in a tube.

I had a hook mounted next to the refer for the trash, but that's where the Wave goes now.
So I had to find a new place for a hook. Sitting on the couch, studying the front of the cabs I saw one spot to squeeze it in. :)

I had a hook mounted next to the refer for the trash, but that's where the Wave goes now.
So I had to find a new place for a hook. Sitting on the couch, studying the front of the cabs I saw one spot to squeeze it in. :)

I hang my garbage bag (the size that you get groceries in) from a knob of the over-couch cabinet -- the knob at the rear/tailgate end of the cabinet. I leave it hanging there even when driving over bad roads and it's never ripped/torn off. Very handy -- and free!

Plus -- having that trash hanging there at eye level reminds us to reduce, reuse, recycle!
Or at least it might...
wink.gif

These are easy to install and low cost cabinets.The floor one makes a nice seat.I have an bobcat so there is space up front to place the floor one.The one by the bed just screws to the wood under the bed slide and on the bottom to the camper shelf.Works great.I use a small bunggie to hold the draws closed.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN0012.jpg
    DSCN0012.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 991
  • DSCN0013.jpg
    DSCN0013.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 987
These are easy to install and low cost cabinets.The floor one makes a nice seat.I have an bobcat so there is space up front to place the floor one.The one by the bed just screws to the wood under the bed slide and on the bottom to the camper shelf.Works great.I use a small bunggie to hold the draws closed.

Frank

Where'd those come from Frank?

OK, who has one of these?? The Coca-Cola name is just a cover-up for the cops.

View attachment 13100

I have one but on the inside of camper by slide out drawer. Each trip I swear that I need to install one on the outside but always put it off. One of these days

Where'd those come from Frank?

Craig,I have used these almost since the camper was new.The cabinets can be found at almost any store, Wal-Mart,OSH ,Home Depot,Lowes..The one on the floor starts out as a three draw,two large and one small.I used the large and small draws.I think they are about $ 15.I added the wood "seat" to the floor one.It also slides out and can be used as additional work surface when seated at the table.Like for a puzzle or the game Mexican train to hold the tile pieces.The one by the bed Sharon uses the top to hold her book and flash light.Very convenient.I also use these in the back seat of my Tundra AC.I removed the rear seat and made platforms that hold two large cabinets.One for each of us for cloths.Works real slick.I posted some pictures on a thread back in early Oct.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Acurite in/out wireless temp gage.$8.88 on sale at Walmart. Put the outdoor sensor in the 3 way refrigerator inside a ziplock bag. Made a hanger to hold the gage just over my rear-view mirror. This way I know when my diet cokes are about to freeze solid. Used everyday on our big trip to see if the flame went out, did not happen.

Bill

Attachments

• accugage.jpg
    accugage.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 681
Acurite in/out wireless temp gage.$8.88 on sale at Walmart. Put the outdoor sensor in the 3 way refrigerator inside a ziplock bag. Made a hanger to hold the gage just over my rear-view mirror. This way I know when my diet cokes are about to freeze solid. Used everyday on our big trip to see if the flame went out, did not happen.

Bill

Good one Bill.
We used one of threes also.Great idea for keeping an eye on the temp of the fridge.I am thinking about getting another for the outside temp.When it's not in use I remove the batteries of the remote sender and store it where the camper on/off switch is.

Cheep and useful.There are a lot of inexpensive "mods" out there.

Frank

I already insulated/reinsulated much of the camper after reading Barko1's reports. Last winter sleeping on the cabover side of the pull out bed, I noticed my hip aching during the night (and I had always noticed condensation on the bottom of that mattress).

On impulse, purchased a sheet of 1/2" blue foam from a Lowes we happened upon. I trimmed it to fit the spot with my pocket knife in the parking lot. I under-beveled the leading edge, so it would be easier to slide back the pull-out section.

Best ten bucks I ever spent.

Eye bolts & small bungees to secure back of couch. Allows things to be packed tightly behind the couch and not "explode" when bouncing down dirt roads. Idea from Chnlisle's old Ranger sold to TT...

Oh that's so good. I always stuff tons behind the couch back and invariably it explodes at a bad time.

Bill

I just want to stress that the ziplock bag (vacuum bag if possible) is a must. We found out the hard way. Took about a week and a half to collect enough condensation to short out the works.

I just want to stress that the ziplock bag (vacuum bag if possible) is a must. We found out the hard way. Took about a week and a half to collect enough condensation to short out the works.

Great idea. We froze our lettuce on this last trip when I left the 3-way on med/low on a 25F degree night. I'll try putting the sensor in the refer next time. We've had this problem more than once too.

How do I know it was 25F? I bought a WeatherChannel brand indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer for this last trip. It worked great for three nights and days, giving us highs and lows. But the sensor stopped reporting on our forth and severely rocky day. I thought it fell off, but it has just given up the ghost. I suspect too much vibration.

I bought my unit at my local hardware store, Builders & Consumers. I bought it because I have an account there and I know they support our local community in many ways. I paid a bit more ($13), but I'll deal with people who recognize me in a small town setting, which is worth it to me.

billharr, How do you like that scan guage? I was thinking about maybe picking up one of those to use for reading trans temp (among other stuff) on my new/used truck.

I have a Scan Guage on my Tundra and a Edge Insight CTS on my Ford.

Get the Edge....you won't regret it.

Three times the cost?

Three times the cost?

That is what I was thinking. If I had a diesel in which there are a lot more parameters to check out and monitor I could appreciate the edge but with a gas engine I'm just not seeing it. I mainly want to watch trans temps and instantaneous MPG off the top of my head. Leadsled9 how about a little more input on your suggestion for consideration?

billharr, How do you like that scan guage? I was thinking about maybe picking up one of those to use for reading trans temp (among other stuff) on my new/used truck.

I like the Scan Guage it does what I want except trans temp (Toyota issue). Like to see actual temp and volts not just a dial. IF you use the MPG read put it will make a big difference. When I drove into the wind in South Dakota I was surprised how low the MPG went when the truck did not feel like it was pushing that hard.

Easy to hook up, it uses a cat 5 cable, I got a longer one and ran it from the plug on the OBD-II up to the mirror and put the scan guage there.

Bill

<br />I like the Scan Guage it does what I want except trans temp (Toyota issue). Like to see actual temp  and volts not just a dial. IF you use the MPG read put it will make a big difference. When I drove into the wind in South Dakota I was surprised how low the MPG went when the truck did not feel like it was pushing that hard. <br /><br />Easy to hook up, it uses a cat 5 cable, I got a longer one and ran it from the plug on the OBD-II up to the mirror and put the scan guage there.<br /><br /><br />Bill<br />
<br /><br /><br />

x2. Wish they had the fix for the tranny temp though. Not really a cheap mod.

Back
Top Bottom