October Black Rock?

I'm still in with "She who finds things" and "Rascal". Leaving Thursday night and hooking up with everyone on Friday. Have to come back on Sunday though :mad:

Home Skillet

Actually if you are going to make it could you confirm again in this thread please?

The weather looks like its going to be great!

I'll be showing up sometime friday afternoon.

Looks like it is going to be a good turnout of people. We won't be there but for Camelracer or anyone else heading there from down south we will be at Washoe Lake cg Thursday night as we head south for the fall colors. Granted, there are a lot of nice places to boondock along 395 instead of hitting a cg, but we will be heading out after work and we prefer a known when arriving in the dark.

I'm back to a maybe. Truck is in the shop. Hopefully some good news tomorrow and I'll still be able to make it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

A note for those planning on bringing dogs:

Many dogs have been killed at Black Rock because they jumped into springs that where near boiling. Plan on keeping your dog on a leash near any water that you are unsure about.

Looks like I'll get my truck back in time. No time to clean it up nice though so you'll just have to content yourselves looking at DD's rig.

Looks like I'll get my truck back in time. No time to clean it up nice though so you'll just have to content yourselves looking at DD's rig.

Great Craig look forward to seeing you there.

It's looking now that I won't be going to the Alvord first, may not leave town until Friday morning, so I won't be taking the route I suggested that heads SW from Denio.

Just wondering what route Dirty Dog or Home Skillet are taking from Bend to get to Soldier Meadows?
I've been to the Black Rock plenty of times, and I usually go through Cedarville and Gerlach.
But I've never had Soldier Meadows as my primary destination, so just wondering if some of the more obscure roads that come in from the north or west would be shortcuts to S.M. or if they'd just end up being "interesting" explorations that would take much longer than taking the obvious route and then heading back north.
huh.gif

Input from anyone else, too?

It's looking now that I won't be going to the Alvord first, may not leave town until Friday morning, so I won't be taking the route I suggested that heads SW from Denio.

Just wondering what route Dirty Dog or Home Skillet are taking from Bend to get to Soldier Meadows?
I've been to the Black Rock plenty of times, and I usually go through Cedarville and Gerlach.
But I've never had Soldier Meadows as my primary destination, so just wondering if some of the more obscure roads that come in from the north or west would be shortcuts to S.M. or if they'd just end up being "interesting" explorations that would take much longer than taking the obvious route and then heading back north.
huh.gif

I was wondering the same thing Mark. I think this time we will be doing the Gerlach route due to lack of time to look into another route. Home Skillet and I are leaving tomorrow afternoon and plan to camp on Cedar Pass in the warners. If you would like to join us shoot me a PM.

I was thinking about possibly exploring that other route on the way back although I'd prefer not to do it alone.

huh.gif

There's always High Rock Canyon -- approaches Soldier Meadows from the northwest. Definitely "interesting"! -- a slow adventure in itself.

SW2006--Black-Rock-Desert--GPS-track-log.jpg

Have you heard of Getting Around in the Black Rock Desert and High Rock Canyon? Good detailed route information of the Black Rock area.

-- Geoff

Yeah I have that book Geooff thanks for reminding me I'll dig it out. Did you do high rock canyon in your van? I've heard thats a pretty difficult route.

Thanks, DD

But...now that I look at it, even if I come directly from Bend this route I'd planned to take may make sense for me after all:
Alvord-to-SoldierMeadows.jpg
It actually doesn't look more out-of-the-way than dropping south to Gerlach...and I have taken this same route going the other direction, from the Black Rock up to 140, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It's not a bad road...at least it wasn't the previous time.

Geoff-
My first trip to the Black Rock -- many years ago, began as a trip to High Rock Canyon. I was a little underwhelmed by HRC, however (maybe because of July 4th crowds there
rolleyes.gif
), so I looked at my maps and wandered east, through Soldier Meadows and spent the night at Double Hot Springs. That night I watched big fireworks being shot off from some ranch or something across the playa while I listened to Depeche Mode...very trippy as I recall...
wink.gif

Hmm yeah that looks like a decent route Mark. I've done the other fork of that towards 95. I'll do some last minute reconsidering.

A little off-topic, but not necessarily...I took the route to High Rock Canyon suggested in "Hiking the Great Basin", which arrives at the mouth of the canyon in an approach from the south. He described that road (the last part, that heads north from 34) as "truly horrendous", but I did it in the dark and it wasn't that bad at all...and I'm not an expert 4x4 guy.

Adel to Black Rock.jpg

By the way, I recommend taking this route as an alternate, almost-all-unpaved, route from Adel to the Black Rock (shown in dashed-red, without turning-off north to High Rock Canyon) -- really cool middle-of-nowhere on decent dirt/gravel. It slower than taking the pavement from Cedarville to Gerlach, however. I haven't done it in about 10 years, but I will some other time.

FWIW: OK, here's a clearer map showing (in blue) the cool almost-no-pavement route from Adel through Long Valley (a different one than the one in eastern CA) over some mountains, down a canyon, past the Fly Geyser, and on down to Gerlach (if you wish):

Adel to Gerlach.jpg

I have great memories of driving south through the Long Valley at sunset...

Hmm yeah that looks like a decent route Mark. I've done the other fork of that towards 95. I'll do some last minute reconsidering.

Well, DD, I hope I'm not leading us astray
unsure.gif
...first Silvertip and now you (and Home Skillet?), are taking my advice.
Well, if we do get lost or stuck or attacked by hillbilly-mutant-cannibals on that route at least we'll have two walnut pies to enjoy...or trade to the hillbillies.

Well, DD, I hope I'm not leading us astray
unsure.gif
...first Silvertip and now you (and Home Skillet?), are taking my advice.
Well, if we do get lost or stuck or attacked by hillbilly-mutant-cannibals on that route at least we'll have two walnut pies to enjoy...or trade to the hillbillies.

Since we are leaving late in the day and that route has no defined camping areas I think we'll stick to plan. Likely for the way back though.

Got my maps today. Got my truck out of the shop. Went shopping. Had a headlight issue, got that fixed sorta. Really excited to load up and head out.

Maybe I should put the jack under the truck and make sure they fixed it. Son of a bitch, its not fixed. Whatever they did they didnt touch the problem I brought it in for. Maybe it would make it the way it is but I just can't see risking it. I'm really bummed I won't make it. Unless by some miracle they can get me in and out in a hurry. We'll see if my very best irate customer act can do anything.

Son of a bitch, its not fixed. Whatever they did they didnt touch the problem I brought it in for. We'll see if my very best irate customer act can do anything.

Wow, that really sucks, Craig.
sad.gif

Negligent incompetence is the worst!
angry.gif

Good luck with whatever approach you use on those fools.

Just got the call. It is the wheel bearing and they're going to eat the labor. Nothing like actually getting to show the problem to a mechanic rather than just talking to a service guy. Its close now but if they get it done quickly I can still get there bout dinner time.

Back
Top Bottom