Pre-Thanksgiving DV Quick Strike

What's your ventilation technique with the Wave 3? Do you ever set off the CO2 detector?

I crack the roof vent, crack open the driver side turnbuckle ports and peel one of the windows back just a little. It has never gone off.

Great pics as usual Sunman! Enjoyed your report. I have question about the cabins there. I have not been to DV myself, so I was wondering what the deal is with the cabins. They look like pieces of history, but can people just spend the night in them if they want to?

Great pics as usual Sunman! Enjoyed your report. I have question about the cabins there. I have not been to DV myself, so I was wondering what the deal is with the cabins. They look like pieces of history, but can people just spend the night in them if they want to?

Buzzman,
They are indeed pieces of history, some in better condition than others. There are various groups that "adopt" a cabin and go to great lengths maintaining them at their own expense. And yes, you can spend the night in them, first come first served.

We also made a short stop in Randsburg, a living ghost town on the way home, another spot I had somehow never been to, no pics unfortunately. I had a refreshing libation at The Joint and bombed it home from there. All in all a great quick trip to DV, looking forward to exploring the rest of the canyons off of West Side Road soon.

Great report and photos as usual Suni. There's just so much to see in Death Valley.

When you were in The Joint was the owner, Olga, there. The last time I was in there a couple of years ago she was still tending bar at the age of 98. I was in Randsburg a couple of weeks ago but it was before opening time so I didn't get a chance to check on her. In the late 60's and early 70's we had use of the Big Gold mine below Government Peak and spent many weekends there. We also spent many a night in The Joint. Olga is a very interesting woman and if she's still working she's probably the world's oldest barmaid.

Dick

Great report and photos as usual Suni. There's just so much to see in Death Valley.

When you were in The Joint was the owner, Olga, there. The last time I was in there a couple of years ago she was still tending bar at the age of 98. I was in Randsburg a couple of weeks ago but it was before opening time so I didn't get a chance to check on her. In the late 60's and early 70's we had use of the Big Gold mine below Government Peak and spent many weekends there. We also spent many a night in The Joint. Olga is a very interesting woman and if she's still working she's probably the world's oldest barmaid.

Dick

Makes me think of a one armed bartendress who worked the Tiger Bar in June Lk in the 80's.

Excellent 'Strike' Sunman. Enjoyed the photos & descriptions, further piquing my interest in visiting southern DV

When you were in The Joint was the owner, Olga, there.

Dick, she wasn't there. I've heard stories and was bummed I did not get to meet her.

Great pictures Sunman. I think the boulders you were camped amongst is a much nicer place to be than any of the cabins (though the warm fireplace at Geologist can be nice if the winds are howling). I am glad my video from Butte Valley influenced you. We'll be at Saline between Xmas and New Years. Maybe see you there if you are headed that way.
Gene

. We'll be at Saline between Xmas and New Years. Maybe see you there if you are headed that way.
Gene
[/quote]
Are you bringing your fiddle? We'll definitely be dropping in on the middle spring @ Saline 'tween Xmas and New Years

Lighthawk, I don't go anywhere without a fiddle, mandolin and guitar. It may be just Anne and I for a romantic few days, or it might turn into a group and be a few more players along on the trip. Likely most, but no all, of this group playing here at Old Woman Mountains:

If you notice us, introduce yourselves. We usually camp closer to the Palm Springs. Last year Anne and I were there from the 27th until the New Years. There were very few people. Only about 5 or 6 camps at the Palm Springs and about the same at the lower.

Gene

Buzzman,
They are indeed pieces of history, some in better condition than others. There are various groups that "adopt" a cabin and go to great lengths maintaining them at their own expense. And yes, you can spend the night in them, first come first served.

Buzzman, when the original Death Valley National Monument was set up, there were still people living on remote mining claims who were grandfathered in and continued living there. As they aged and moved away the claims reverted to the government but the cabins remained.

Today, as Sunman says, jeeper and off-road clubs still keep the cabins up. Some, like Russel's Camp have running water, solar showers, and operating wood stoves, not to mention the views. When the Monument was expanded into a the Death Valley National Park, old BLM mining claims like the Barker Ranch where included with in the park. Just outside Death Valley National Park on BLM land to the west is Brigg's Camp where, if you bring your own propane, you can turn on the gas water heater or bake a cake in the oven.

Don't forget to raise the flag to let other wanderers know you have taken up temporary residence!

Darryl,

Stew, those are absolutely high on my list of things to do on my next visit, as well as exploring Redlands Canyon a bit more too.

Sunman, be careful down Redlands. The last time I was The Greatbasinguide almost drowned!

Back
Top Bottom