Pulling a trailer while carrying a FWC

...happy Gnome Day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 233
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:23336]

Towing a 2,000lb 18ft boat, don't even notice it back there. 2,600 miles on the truck, 1600 of it this week driving from Seattle to Phoenix. Handles great, tons of power, better performance than my previous 2005 RAM 2500 long bed Hemi with a Granby on the back and towing a light motorcycle trailer. Running Timbren rubber springs on the back and Load Range E tires at 60lbs. 15.5mpg for 400 miles at 55mph using cruise control form Redding to LA (flatland I-5), hand calculated. 11.1mpg in the mountains 55-65mph.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1469661422.226668.jpg

Just took my new 4x 6 trailer for first trip. Towed great. Hard to see behind me, just had to watch for the shadow on the ground to check make sure it's still there. Took some firewood, generator, fuel, and some extra camping gear.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

northshorehenry said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1469661422.226668.jpg

Just took my new 4x 6 trailer for first trip. Towed great. Hard to see behind me, just had to watch for the shadow on the ground to check make sure it's still there. Took some firewood, generator, fuel, and some extra camping gear.

Who makes this trailer and what was the cost?

Thanks,

Phil

This is made by Custom Express Trailers based out of Parksville on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. The most popular size for camping is either the 4x6 or the 5x8 if you have a bit more toys to pull. Base model for the 4x6 is only $2,200 Canadian. I got mine with the optional lid and LED lights. This is the second trailer I have purchased from them, the first being a 6x12. Great outfit and great trailers.

I just bought a used Dinoot expedition trailer for use on extended trips that we are planning or when we want to haul our Kayaks. We drove 250 miles to get it and it towed great coming home. It's light enough that I can easily move it around.
Here's a picture in my shop where I took the body off so I could get the frame sandblasted and painted (the builder didn't do that for some reason..)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 162
smlobx said:
I just bought a used Dinoot expedition trailer for use on extended trips that we are planning or when we want to haul our Kayaks. We drove 250 miles to get it and it towed great coming home. It's light enough that I can easily move it around.
Here's a picture in my shop where I took the body off so I could get the frame sandblasted and painted (the builder didn't do that for some reason..)
ahhh nice shop!!

I have been following this thread with interest. I really like the idea of a closed utility trailer with side and back door access. Would like a swing up lid, but it isn't too practical since if I have the trailer I am typically carrying kayaks. My current set up is a well made open box utility trailer, and a friend fabbed a two tier removable rack system. Right now I load stuff I need in jigsaw puzzle fashion, but would like to get more organized. Not a lot of options in Northern Ontario, but the search continues. If anyone knows of an Ontario source for an "expedition light" trailer I would be appreciative!image.jpgimage.jpg

9 times out of ten when our camper is on the pickup. there is a trailer behind it.

Either a 2 horse trailer or my drift boat.

Attachments

• truckcamperboat.jpg
    truckcamperboat.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 161
I thought I'd revive this post and show off our new car trailer. We were having swaying issues with our car dolly when towing the Jeep. Pulling the Jeep's driveshaft every time was also a hassle, so we stepped up to an Aluma 14 ft. car trailer. It weighs 1100 pounds and tows like a dream. Jeep and trailer together are under 5000 pounds putting me well under my gross combination weight for payload and towing. Except for the high elevation mountains of Colorado the truck does a nice of scooting down the road. This is coming back from the Jeep Safari in Moab UT last month.

image.jpg

Dphillip said:
I thought I'd revive this post and show off our new car trailer. We were having swaying issues with our car dolly when towing the Jeep. Pulling the Jeep's driveshaft every time was also a hassle, so we stepped up to an Aluma 14 ft. car trailer. It weighs 1100 pounds and tows like a dream. Jeep and trailer together are under 5000 pounds putting me well under my gross combination weight for payload and towing. Except for the high elevation mountains of Colorado the truck does a nice of scooting down the road. This is coming back from the Jeep Safari in Moab UT last month.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Thanks for this...can you give specifics about your truck and what your truck/FWC combined weight is?

Appreciate the info..

Phil

My truck is a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500, regular cab 4X4, 5.3 V-8 and tow package. The gross vehicle weight rating is 6400 pounds with the truck alone weighing 5000 pounds. This give me a payload of 1400 pounds. I believe my truck has a slightly lower payload rating because of the 20 inch sport wheels and tires that came on the truck from the factory. Normally a regular cab truck has a 1800 pound payload capacity. It's odd that the wider tires would reduce payload capacity since my research tells me that a wider tire actually handles weight better than a narrow one. The max weight rating for the tires is well over what the fully loaded truck weighs. Our 2015 Hawk weighs 1100 pounds and adding the wife and I plus our gear bumps our GVW up to about 6500 pound only slightly over the max payload of 6400 pounds. I've added Firestone air bags to level the load that only require about 35 pounds of pressure to raise the truck back to the stock level.The truck is rated to tow 9,600 pounds with our Jeep and trailer at about 4,600 pounds. Our gross vehicle weigh fully loaded is 11,100 pounds and the trucks gross vehicle weight rating is 14,600 pounds.

Probably more information than anybody needs but I'm retired now with too much time on my hands.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 82
DPhillip,

Good information breakdown. So often no info on combos in posts and difficult to evaluate relevance to what I own. Off for a dirt ride, motorcycle, but will digest what you listed and perhaps chime in later with more questions....

Thanks again, and glad to see you spell "Phillip" correctly! :D

Phillip

Dphillip said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Nice setup, I've been looking for a way to take my Jeep with me.

I used to tow Jeep on car hauler but was PIA to get trailer out of the way especially in dispersed sites. So now I flat tow if I'm going to basecamp and hit trails with jeep I don't want truck on. Jeeps flat tow fine with correct hook-up. I use ready brute tow bar with brakes.

As some have mentioned a long trips it's nice to have extra space so I tow a little Trekmate trailer.

If I want to paddle I tow a little trailer for two kayaks and a Canoe. It also has room for extra gear.

Trailers are only if / when I plan on base camping mostly.

Attachments

• BOATS_FWC.jpg
    BOATS_FWC.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 87
  • flatow.jpg
    flatow.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20170915_175728.jpg
    20170915_175728.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 93
We have been known to pull a trailer, too. Actually, I would like to find a Ruger or similar adventure trailer, but the Airstream (aka The Desert Tortoise) is a good base camp.

We're waiting to have our new Grandby installed on a 2018 F-350 gas V-8 longbed. We've enjoyed our 2006 19 ft. AS Safari/Bambi as a base camp, but I'm also interested in discovering our "range" for the FWC as a stand-alone rig. Whatever that range turns out to be, we'll tow the AS to boost it.

Back
Top Bottom