roof lifting helper shocks thingys

just a light pull and it goes down nice and slow it will stop at half way and that's one of the pics I took. you dont have to push on the out side. Way better holding the weight as it goes down.

Nice job. Sounds like 60#'s would be too much in the rear unless you have stuff up on the roof based on the performance on the 40#'s.

Nice job. Sounds like 60#'s would be too much in the rear unless you have stuff up on the roof based on the performance on the 40#'s.

I have a roof box with about 60lbs in it and the 40# struts plenty strong. thats my 2 cents..

I have a roof box with about 60lbs in it and the 40# struts plenty strong. thats my 2 cents..

hi frank again.do you think they could be mounted on the sides,front facing forward while the rears face aft?just a thought.thanks frank

I installed mine, and it really didn't take long. I did goof up on the front though. On the front of the camper, the bottom part, not the roof I installed the brackets and there wasnt enough room for them when I tried to mount the top ends on the roof part. So I had to reposition the lower brackets to the lowest part of the front to make room for the brackets on the roof. They were too close to the roof latches. I hope this all makes sence. I will post pictures soon, although they look just like mxvp's.
I agree with him on the strenght only being 40 lbs. I have the surf racks closer to the back then front due to the vents and my solar panel on the rear. 40 lbs. is pefect. The front half when I lower, I actually have to pull the bar about mid way down to get it to lower all the way. Once down, it stays though, and doesn't pop back up.
I will post pics soon.
Like I told other users, I went to suspa.com and got the struts for $20.00 each, and any bracket I needed for $2.00 each. They even had just the ball with a threaded end if you could get that to work.

Scott,

Wish I had the time to do this before my next trip! Anticipating your pictures...

Can you post suspa part numbers, please?

frank here,i just ordered the gas springs from suspa.com #c16-15952 and mounting brackets #p67-00203 black.will post photos and how i did it when its finished.thanks to all the input from all it really helps. frank

Scott,
here are the numbers. I hope to post pictures today, if I can figure it out.
Gas Spring: C16-15952 Ball Brackets: P67-00205

The brackets I bought were for the inside, when I thought that was where I was going to put them. They had a 90 degree bend on them. I had to cut it off with a hack saw. The ones I listed above are flat. Good Luck!!

Daisy and her toys 008.JPGDaisy and her toys 006.JPGDaisy and her toys 007.JPGDaisy and her toys 009.JPGDaisy and her toys 003.JPG
here is the sloppy job i did, but it turned out ok. the top row is the back, and the bottom row is the front.

here is the sloppy job i did, but it turned out ok. the top row is the back, and the bottom row is the front.

We are usually or own worst critics. It looks real good from here. Did you get any input from Marty and crew?

No, as it ended up, it was so easy I did not feel it worth asking them about it. It worked great on our camp trip, and I feel it a success. I still need to remove the fasteners and seal them, so I am not quite done yet.

Thanks for posting this, great information.
A couple questions.
1) Do we just use metal tap screw to secure the bracket or we drill through and use a nut and bolt?
2) Since we are mounting the gas strut on the outside and exposed to elements, can these struts last in this type of application?

Thanks!! :)

Alex,
I used #10x3/4 inch stainless standard point sheet metal screws. I drilled a 3/32 pilot hole through the track and one side of the frame member. I used a mastic strip under the bracket for a seal. I put an offset bracket on the bottom and a flat bracket on the top for better alignment of the strut.

As for how long they will last I will have to wait and see. Pretty easy and cheap to replace as needed.Also easy to remove if you have to drive in winter conditions. I may take them off when I don't have a load on the top, just have to try it for a while. I figured for less than 100 dollars in parts I don't have much to lose.

Thanks for posting this, great information.
A couple questions.
1) Do we just use metal tap screw to secure the bracket or we drill through and use a nut and bolt?
2) Since we are mounting the gas strut on the outside and exposed to elements, can these struts last in this type of application?

Thanks!! :)

Attachments

• brackets 05.jpg
    brackets 05.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 625
Alex,
I used #10x3/4 inch stainless standard point sheet metal screws. I drilled a 3/32 pilot hole through the track and one side of the frame member. I used a mastic strip under the bracket for a seal. I put an offset bracket on the bottom and a flat bracket on the top for better alignment of the strut.

As for how long they will last I will have to wait and see. Pretty easy and cheap to replace as needed.Also easy to remove if you have to drive in winter conditions. I may take them off when I don't have a load on the top, just have to try it for a while. I figured for less than 100 dollars in parts I don't have much to lose.

Thanks! Your are right, I can take the structs off when not in use.

Alex, like dsrtrat I used screws. Mine were self tapping, but I predrilled a cheater pilot hole. Then this weekend I plan on removing them and adding silicone sealant. I know I should have done it when I installed them, but time was an issue and I want to do a complete, good job.

Alex, like dsrtrat I used screws. Mine were self tapping, but I predrilled a cheater pilot hole. Then this weekend I plan on removing them and adding silicone sealant. I know I should have done it when I installed them, but time was an issue and I want to do a complete, good job.

Scott,
Thanks for the tip on silicon sealant.
Alex

I should have added that on the bottom front brackets I used 3/16 pop rivets rather han screws.I didn't want the screws sticking through into the matress area.Use blind end rivets if you can find them, they are more waterproof.
Dsrtrat

Thanks for the tips, photos and information from all you guys!

Back
Top Bottom