Sightings thread

somewhere in Death Valley National Park............................

gallery_1902_252_160965.jpg

somewhere in Death Valley National Park....................................

"Look," the Lady said, "One of them is in bloom!"

gallery_1902_252_156381.jpg

There were five in the parking lot but John from San Jose, CA left prior to the photo.

ski3pin said:
somewhere in Death Valley National Park....................................

"Look," the Lady said, "One of them is in bloom!"

gallery_1902_252_156381.jpg

There were five in the parking lot but John from San Jose, CA left prior to the photo.
Tell The Lady I like her humor!

Looks suspiciously like Scotty's.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Tell The Lady I like her humor!

Looks suspiciously like Scotty's.
We did have a chance to meet Mardy's group from Pollock Pines. That's the two to the right not in bloom.

John

Sighted today at about 3 p.m. in Bend, OR, at the corner of 3rd St & Greenwood:
A small FWC (I think -- no logos) on a small Ford with CA plates.
A decal on the camper door-window: "Yeeesh" (I think) and lots of bumper stickers, including one calling for keeping Tahoe blue -- in Spanish.
There was a rooftop enclosed carrier on the camper and snow on top, so the guy must have spent the the night at a higher elevation than Bend -- we had no snow in town.

(and traffic at the time was very heavy, backed way up, on 3rd St -- and it was 3 p.m., not even "rush hour"...must be that damn NYT article. :cautious: :rolleyes: )

This afternoon, between Saginaw and Creswell, OR. sitting in the driveway of a "for sale" house being shown to me by a real estate agent. I didn't take a picture and it was mostly covered by a tarp, but it looked like a fairly new Hawk sitting on it's jack stands. The hand lettering on it said: J&R Adventures.

Last night, a Fleet? on a dark Tacoma? with retro-Oregon tags "Pacific Wonderland" ( am I old if my first few cars had the original "Pacific Wonderland" tags? ) parked in front of Deschutes Brewery public house in downtown Bend.

Otis said:
Last night, a Fleet? on a dark Tacoma? with retro-Oregon tags "Pacific Wonderland" ( am I old if my first few cars had the original "Pacific Wonderland" tags? ) parked in front of Deschutes Brewery public house in downtown Bend.
Otis, I just put Pacific Wonderland plates on the new truck. Makes me feel (falsely) young again.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Otis, I just put Pacific Wonderland plates on the new truck. Makes me feel (falsely) young again.
I got Pacific Wonderland plates for my truck and my car a few years ago. Not for personal nostalgia -- I grew up in California -- but because that design doesn't have any pictures/drawings on the plate, just simple letters and numbers. Less cheesy.
I've never had any pictures of salmon or mountains on my checks either, for the same reason. ;)

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just learned courtesy of wikipedia that Oregon currently offers 8 different plate designs! I've always just put on whatever the DMV didnt charge extra for. Also learned that the original "Pacific Wonderland" plates were only made from 1960-1964; I was a 4th grader when they stopped! Maybe I'm not so old after all - I just owned a lot of old cars when I first started out!

I lucked out when I originally got my Ham plates. Usually, they are just the dark blue on dark yellow but I managed to get Oregon Trail plates by good luck. Had them on my old VW camper and had to wait a couple of years to get it on my Tundra.. Could not believe the runaround by DMV when donating the VW and moving the plates. I finally got someone that worked with me.

Paul

Saturday 7 Feb. 2015 1030 hrs west bound Business 80 Sacramento near Arden white Tundra with FWC, AT carrier with gas can on drivers side back of camper just like Ted's is mounted.

ski3pin said:
Saturday 7 Feb. 2015 1030 hrs west bound Business 80 Sacramento near Arden white Tundra with FWC, AT carrier with gas can on drivers side back of camper just like Ted's is mounted.
That was the Teds! Went to the Sandhill Crane Festival and then out bird watching. Nice to have the camper when out in the field all day. Fridge for lunch stuff and the porta-potti for needed breaks. usually other people out birding so not as lonely as camping.

Took lots of photos. If you want to see Sandhill cranes during the day, check out Staten Island Road near Walnut Grove. Probably saw 100 of them in the fields.

Camped at Cape Blanco on the Oregon Coast earlier this week; on Monday afternoon when we were pulling in there were three! FWCs in the park- an Eagle on a red first gen Nissan Frontier with maybe North Carolina? plates, a Granby on a full size white pickup (travelling with the red truck?) and another Eagle on a newer Fontier extended cab with Washington plates. I'd never seen so many in one location!

Otis said:
Camped at Cape Blanco on the Oregon Coast earlier this week; on Monday afternoon when we were pulling in there were three! FWCs in the park... I'd never seen so many in one location!
I'm a big fan of Cape Blanco S.P. :) I've camped there several times -- in my camper...last time was September 2013, I think.

Fleet on a green Tacoma (?) spotted today in Nevada City. Mtn bike on a rear hitch from behind.
Don't recall seeing this rig before, so I assume it was a wanderer. Hope you are enjoying a visit to our town and enjoying the trails!

Back
Top Bottom