Sightings thread

MarkBC said:
Wow -- 3 pop-up campers in that one little campground! :eek:
But as windy/steep as the road in is, it's not the kind of place you're likely to meet big 5th wheel monster-trailers...
It's a cool spot -- I need to get back there soon.
The horse spots had 2 very long horse trailers in them the entire time we were there.

JHa6av8r said:
The horse spots had 2 very long horse trailers in them the entire time we were there.
Wow. I drove there in my Honda Civic, and for a paved road it seemed steep and windy to me! :p
Don't get me wrong -- I loved driving it, it was fun! :)
But I wouldn't have loved driving a long trailer there...I'm probably a trailer whimp. ;)

On the 18th of July, traveling to Trout Lake, WA we were gassing up in Hood River and met a young guy from CO with a FWC shell on a Tacoma, he has been living in it for about a year - ice box, cook top, furnace and no water tank. He said winter in CO was a bit rough, lots of frost every morning, but with no water system no freeze issues. He was still excited about the freedom and comfort his camper provided. Really enjoyed visiting with him.
On the way home, OR highway 35, we met a FWC or ATC on a white Ranger.

Last weekend we were in Plumas NF, CA and met a FWC on a dark pickup - we were heading up Gold Lake Road, the driver flashed his lights hello and gave a friendly wave.

Tuesday and Wednesday, a new F150/Hawk with dog and attached atv up at Meadow Lake on the Tahoe NF. Talked but didn't gt his name.

Smoke

We spotted not one, but two FWC popups in Sierraville on Sunday. Both were mounted on white 1st gen Tundras, coincidentally. First one had a Kestrel mounted, parked at Los Hermanos. Second one was maybe an Eagle, with flush sides, parked at Sierra Springs. We were visiting in our gray Tundra/Hawk combo, with lot's of dust and new pinstripes.

Wish we had some kind of app that could put a handle to a rig when out traveling. :)

We had parked at the rest stop on 395 south of Susanville to walk and stretch.
A couple from southern Ca. pulled in with this 1990 Skamper. They were headed home from northern Washington.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN6909.jpg
    DSCN6909.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 110
Over the weekend we saw a very clean FWC shell on a white Ford pickup, first parked in Tillicum CG on the Central Oregon coast, and then again while walking in the nearby town of Yachats. Nice outfit!

On Wednesday 30 July 2014 a FWC eagle on a F150 found a campsite in The Bridger-Teton National Forest's Green River Lakes Campground. We had our basecamp here for a few days. The next morning as we were loading our packs for a long day hike, Matt from New York state introduced himself and asked if he and his wife Terry could see our camper and ask some questions. They had just picked up their eagle shell from the FWC dealer in Wisconsin and this was their maiden voyage. They had all the questions we all had when we were starting out. Matt said he wasn't especially handy so when they decide on changes/modifications they'd just drive out to California so I can help.

gallery_1902_252_128140.jpg

What they didn't need help on was planning adventures. These guys know how to do it. From the Finger Lakes area, they are seasoned canoe travelers. Last summer's big trip was was an 18 day wilderness canoe trip in the Yukon. They also backpack and were starting an 18 day backback of the entire Highline trail in the Wind River Range from Green River Lakes to the Big Sandy Opening. They carry 6 days of food and had placed two caches (each with 6 days) in at two trailheads along the route that they will hike out to grab. At the completion of the trip they will hike in and retrieve the cache containers.

Later in the day, after we had explored the Upper Green River Lake area, we met them on the trail and enjoyed hiking about a mile with them. We were happy to fill them in with details on sections of the Highline, including a couple of off trail routes into areas not to be missed. We were so excited about their trip and the areas they will visit we wished we could join them!

gallery_1902_252_49729.jpg

gallery_1902_252_218585.jpg

They had hired an outfitting company to move their truck from the Green River Lakes trailhead to the Big Sandy opening. Tuesday 5 August it was in Pinedale, Wyoming.

gallery_1902_252_20112.jpg

The plan is three days at the starting trailhead - in case of an abort or turn around, then a safe place in Pinedale, and then three days at the ending trailhead - in case of an early exit. As I said, these guys are great planners. In four days, on the 16th, they should be completing this adventure.

We know they got lots of rain, but these two are seasoned explorers. We hope they had a grand adventure. Any day in the mountains, no matter the conditions, is so much better than a day......................................................

Otis said:
Over the weekend we saw a very clean FWC shell on a white Ford pickup, first parked in Tillicum CG on the Central Oregon coast, and then again while walking in the nearby town of Yachats. Nice outfit!
On our recent trip up the west coast I saw at least 6 pop ups,all moving along the hwy.

Frank

Just saw a silver crew cab Earth Roamer while passing through Winthrop, WA. They were parked by the river and the new foot bridge.

Met a nice guy with a 2008 Hawk at Page Springs campground near Steens Mt. He was unaware of this site so I informed him so he may join as he wax interested.

Two black Tacomas with FWC's in Half Moon Bay today, Sunday, 9/14. One headed south on Hwy 1 about 11:15 south of HMB. Had a rocket box on top I think. The other was crossing Hwy 1 at the light leaving the marina at Princeton Landing headed up the hill in El Grenada at 12:15.

Saw two FWC at Whoa Nellie Deli today. An Eagle and a Kestrel, talked to the people in the Kestrel they were from Tahoe. Asked if there were on WTW and they had not heard of us. I told them to check WTW out.

med_gallery_1903_734_131679.jpg

med_gallery_1903_734_53808.jpg

IMG_0257.JPGIMG_0258.JPG

I saw these two rigs in Bridgeport, CA on 09-22-2014. I later saw the Toyota rig parked near Travertine Hot Springs and they looked like they were camping in the area.

I didn't get a pic of it because I was on the back of a golf cart during a visit to Catalina but I did see a Northstar on a full size truck. Interesting since it takes a long time to get a vehicle onto the island.

Yesterday I met a Skamper pop up and an over-the-cab Alaskan, both headed east on highway 26 between Ochoco Divide and Mitchell, OR

Well I didn't "sight" a camper,but rather a WTW member.

At our local Costco this morning,a shopper said "nice tee shirt", I was wearing my WTW shirt.
I said thanks and asked if he knew who we were? As it turned he did and is member Samo from my area.
We talked for a while until I got the eye roll from my wife. She came to shop.

We had a nice talk about our campers. He doesn't have one as of yet but working on it.

Than as we were checking our another shopper came up and also said she liked the shirt.
Boy didn't know our "tees" were so popular.

It's great to meet other WTW members.
Frank

This past weekend, camped at Meadow Lake in the northern Sierra Nevada, California, I sighted about two dozen pop-up campers -- FWCs, ATCs, a couple of XPs and even a Hallmark! :eek: Wow!
What are the odds of such a concentration?!

Saw this 4wheelcamper at the Vermont Overland Rally this past weekend. Had the pleasure of meeting Tom and talking to him about campers.

Attachments

• Tom 4WheelCamper1.jpg
    Tom 4WheelCamper1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 112
MarkBC said:
This past weekend, camped at Meadow Lake in the northern Sierra Nevada, California, I sighted about two dozen pop-up campers -- FWCs, ATCs, a couple of XPs and even a Hallmark! :eek: Wow!
What are the odds of such a concentration?!

:sneaky: :oops: :oops: :unsure: :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom