Sightings thread

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
1,Wednesday,"silver spur"FWC/gray Tacoma,stop light on construction Hwy 1 south Lucia.
2,Thursday Hwy 46 west bound from Paso Robles,"silver spur"dark ford.
Frank
Ha, ha. A day later and that would have been me (though not a silver spur) in my silver Tacoma! I was stopped at the construction light south of Lucia on Thursday and stayed the night at Kirk Creek - the first day it was open since the shutdown, to my good fortune. The next day I was east bound from Paso Robles. I'll get a trip report up sometime, but probably not real soon.

Bosque Bill said:
Ha, ha. A day later and that would have been me (though not a silver spur) in my silver Tacoma! I was stopped at the construction light south of Lucia on Thursday and stayed the night at Kirk Creek - the first day it was open since the shutdown, to my good fortune. The next day I was east bound from Paso Robles. I'll get a trip report up sometime, but probably not real soon.
We must have just missed you.Wednesday we were south on hwy1 to Blackburn CG,outside Cambria.Thursday over to Paso and back,Friday north on hwy 1 to home.I saw several FWC's.But we didn't see each other.
Oh well.
Headed out tomorrow to Zion,North Rim,Bryce,than who knows.
Since the weather in nice hope to get some good days and nice color.
Frank

Actually, looking at my downloaded photos I'm reminded that I did see a larger FWC (with a rear window, roof rack of some kind, rear flood lights) with it's top up on an overlook on Hwy 1 just south of the Nacimiento Road on Oct 17th. parked next to a Dolphin hard-side camper. I was down in the campground taking an evening walk and looked up and saw it. I took a photo with my long lens and can just make out a grey haired, bearded man in a dark shirt.

Weather has been fantastic. Have a great trip, Frank.

Bill

Bosque Bill said:
Actually, looking at my downloaded photos I'm reminded that I did see a larger FWC (with a rear window, roof rack of some kind, rear flood lights) with it's top up on an overlook on Hwy 1 just south of the Nacimiento Road on Oct 17th. parked next to a Dolphin hard-side camper. I was down in the campground taking an evening walk and looked up and saw it. I took a photo with my long lens and can just make out a grey haired, bearded man in a dark shirt.

Weather has been fantastic. Have a great trip, Frank.

Bill
That wasn't us,but I think I also saw that camper.
On the way north on Friday I saw a Taco/FWC at a pull out somewhere near the Lucia area.
Frank

I just returned from a trip down to Moab, UT. I think it was FWC/ATC heaven. There were a couple older units and some nice new ones. Briefly talked to a gent who had an older ranger? (with the wings) on a grey tacoma. The one thing I noticed, everyone had smaller trucks and half tons. I definitely had the largest truck being a dodge 3/4T.

Friday October 18, an FWC Fleet on a Tacoma, parked at an interpretive-sign spot off the White Mountain Road just south of the entrance kiosk.
Sighting this rig with folks inside, I pulled over and parked alongside. "Nice camper!" the Fleet owner said of mine as I got out of my truck. "I like yours, too!", I responded. This is the traditional greeting when pop-up-owners-but-strangers meet. :D

When I'm out-and-about on a trip in my camper and I see another FWC/ATC camper parked with folks attached I sometimes park next to them and ask if they're familiar with WanderTheWest.com. I'm not necessarily trying to promote WTW, but more curious if this is someone I've "met" in the cyber world and am now meeting in the physical world...

I chatted with Robert and Ann for a while, about our campers and the White Mts. They commented on the fact that my roof lifting helper shocks thingys were mounted on the outside, unlike theirs, and I said that theirs must have been factory-installed, that most folks on WTW put them on the outside. I told them about WTW, which was new to them. Robert took a photo of the WanderTheWest.com decal on the back of my camper as a reference and said that he'd be joining.

They were on their way up to explore the Whites for the first time. Happy trails!

Good job, Mr. Ambassador!

Perhaps somebody, somewhere, could make new decals so we cult members can identify each other on the road. Robes would probably scare people away.

ski3pin said:
Perhaps somebody, somewhere, could make new decals...
I was thinking the same thing... WTW Administration, are you reading this?
Or...someone could create unauthorized bootleg versions. :ninja:

ski3pin said:
... so we cult members can identify each other on the road. Robes would probably scare people away.
Maybe some kind of mark on the inner forearm that could be flashed in passing, like bikers do.

Good job, Mr. Ambassador!

Perhaps somebody, somewhere, could make new decals so we cult members can identify each other on the road. Robes would probably scare people away.

So goat leggings are out, right? Darn.

Mc4KtYO.png

ETAV8R said:
Throwin gang signs when we pass each other on the highways.
:ninja:
Yeah, I think we've discussed this before...but I can't find it now. I don't think anyone came up with a mutually-agreeable gang sign.

I have a Silhouette Cameo on order. It is the crafting machine that makes those vinyl cutouts. I would be happy to make a WandertheWest.com vinyl once I figure out how to use the thing. I will have to look into pricing the raw materials,but it shouldn't be too much.

Black, white, red, Any other colors? I think the ones from before were about 12 x 3 inches, but maybe someone who has one could measure...

Bseek said:
I have a Silhouette Cameo on order. It is the crafting machine that makes those vinyl cutouts. I would be happy to make a WandertheWest.com vinyl once I figure out how to use the thing. I will have to look into pricing the raw materials,but it shouldn't be too much.

Black, white, red, Any other colors? I think the ones from before were about 12 x 3 inches, but maybe someone who has one could measure...
Bseek, the one I have that DirtyDog made is 12 inches long, which just fits in the window on the Eagle's door. The capital letters are 3/4 inch high. Here's a pic. Hope this helps.

IMG_1205_sm.jpg

Yup, this is the one on our old camper. It is white letters and logo. It sticks on the outside of the window. I like it just the way it is.

gallery_1902_252_44922.jpg

Thanks to RiverRunner, I have the logo as a png file now, so I can do it. The vinyl comes in 12 inch width, and runs less than 2 bucks for 12x12. I should be able to fit 16 to a sheet at the 3/4" size, making it pennies.

So give me a little time to get the machine, and work out the kinks, but I would be able to send them out free as a goodwill offering to members of this site. They have all been kind and generous, a great group of folks.

I'll let you know when I get this nailed down.

I just pulled it off the banner at the top of the page. :) I'd love to have a couple of those when you get them done and be willing to pay for it and the shipping.

Thanks Bseek!

Back
Top Bottom