SoCal FWC Owners Rally - Oct. 24 - 26th - Recap

Two weeks from tonight I will be in Southern CA. If weather holds I will be coming down 395. Plan on staying in the high sierras Wednesday night, Thursday thinking about the San Bernardino mountains. Any suggestions on where to camp? Have not been there. Sunday night heading north we would like to stay on the coast some where north of Oxnard. Also looking for suggestions in that area.

Bill

It will be good to see again at the Socal rally again Bill. I actually got the exact same spot as last year. I wanted to go to the norcal rally this week but just got back from a 2 week SW adventure

Bill,
About 7 miles south of Big Pine is Tinemaha Campground (site of my Avitar) on Fish Creek or Taboose Creek campground. Both of these creeks are prime fishing areas with lots of trees. On the west side of 395 just north of village of Aberdeen on "old 395". These are both dry camping County Parks (about $10) per night.

Just south of Aberdeen on 395 is "Manzanar National Historic Site" . Continuing south in City of Indepence is a great museum of local mining lore and equipment, (located west side of highway 2 blocks away).

Lone Pine is another great spot as it has a super good restaurant "Seasons" ask for my friend Nigel (he makes great Martini's) and the locally raised beef is great.

Free Dry camping in the Alabama Hills site of many movie western in the "20's - "40's. Also a pleasant drive up to (Mt) Whitney portal. Cowboy Museum just south of town and US Forest service store at the junction of 395 and 136.

Regarding camping in the San Bernardino Mts - I wouldn't go up into the mountains for just one night. But Holcomb Valley is my favorite, Serrano has hookups, and Silverwood Lake is close to the I-15.
North of Oxnard - did not like Carpinteria. My son did not want to leave El Capitan State Park.

Next week folks !!!

We've loaded up friend Terry's restored 1945 Jeep Bantam trailer with the barbecue, tables, ladder (eyeball the bendable solar panel glued to roof) firewood and my bike.

We are ready !! We can barely wait.!!

The weather gods are smiling on us.
med_gallery_1903_734_175986.jpg

I should arrive Friday afternoon site 70

We are packed up and ready to go!

I will be leaving Wed. or Thurs. of next week.

There is at least one open spot in our main circle available if anyone is interested in joining in last minute (someone that can't stay the night and has a spot available)

We can probably get you in some how, some way if you want to come.

The more owners the better! If you are on the fence or just not sure if you can make it, don't hesitate to come at the last minute. We can get you somewhere, even if we have to double up campers in one of our campsites.

:)

I'm planing on bringing the griddle so the FWC staff coming and Jason from American RV in So Cal can make all of the FWC owners breakfast and dinner each day.

Safe travels. See you soon.

Attachments

• four-wheel-campers-rally-southern-california-san-onofre-campground.jpg
    four-wheel-campers-rally-southern-california-san-onofre-campground.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 129
  • four-wheel-campers-rally-southern-california-san-onofre-campground-donut.jpg
    four-wheel-campers-rally-southern-california-san-onofre-campground-donut.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 132
  • four-wheel-campers-rally-southern-california-san-onofre-campground-eggs.jpg
    four-wheel-campers-rally-southern-california-san-onofre-campground-eggs.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 132
Billharr..

There are a few options north of Oxnard... Hobsons is maybe the best, but small, and first come first served.. Emma Wood is good if you can get in there. Also first come first served.. Both 40 or 50 bucks a night :( Both right on the beach :)... You can also get a sight rit on the old coast road between Emma Wood and Hobson...meh on that for me
Carpinteria state beach is not for me either... Big and pricey, with lots of hook up sights.. On a very nice sandy beach though..
From there you have El Capitan, and Refugio State beaches... Both nice, but big, and again a little pricey.. Refugio is my pick of the two (will be there thisnSunday for a group camp).. Both also on the beach.
There is a great backcountry option open right now as well. About an hour from the Ventura coast, but you look over a large swath of coast..pm me for details on this one..will be up there tomorrow...

And then there is Campo Tierra.... Beautiful beach site on level driveway.. biggest, most beautiful beach in SoCal.. Hollywood Beach on one side, Channelislands Hrbor onthe other.. Price is right on this one! Sea food dinner may be included ( if we are catching)..

TT

Tomas Tierra said:
Billharr..

There are a few options north of Oxnard... Hobsons is maybe the best, but small, and first come first served.. Emma Wood is good if you can get in there. Also first come first served.. Both 40 or 50 bucks a night :( Both right on the beach :)... You can also get a sight rit on the old coast road between Emma Wood and Hobson...meh on that for me
Carpinteria state beach is not for me either... Big and pricey, with lots of hook up sights.. On a very nice sandy beach though..
From there you have El Capitan, and Refugio State beaches... Both nice, but big, and again a little pricey.. Refugio is my pick of the two (will be there thisnSunday for a group camp).. Both also on the beach.
There is a great backcountry option open right now as well. About an hour from the Ventura coast, but you look over a large swath of coast..pm me for details on this one..will be up there tomorrow...

And then there is Campo Tierra.... Beautiful beach site on level driveway.. biggest, most beautiful beach in SoCal.. Hollywood Beach on one side, Channelislands Hrbor onthe other.. Price is right on this one! Sea food dinner may be included ( if we are catching)..

TT
emma wood may not let your truck camper in if you have a porta potty or cassette toilet. they turned us away several times. but i always check. the strand just north of emme wood drive way is street / beach camping and first come as well.
if u make it orange county before arrival, crystal cove /moro (borders newport and laguna) is quiet, pricey, but nice.

Stan@FourWheel said:
We are packed up and ready to go!

I will be leaving Wed. or Thurs. of next week.

There is at least one open spot in our main circle available if anyone is interested in joining in last minute (someone that can't stay the night and has a spot available)

We can probably get you in some how, some way if you want to come.

The more owners the better! If you are on the fence or just not sure if you can make it, don't hesitate to come at the last minute. We can get you somewhere, even if we have to double up campers in one of our campsites.

:)

I'm planing on bringing the griddle so the FWC staff coming and Jason from American RV in So Cal can make all of the FWC owners breakfast and dinner each day.

Safe travels. See you soon.

spot #92 became available on thursday.

Packing day. Just turned on the DC fridge, pack food and clothes and we are ready. Up and over Tioga Pass tomorrow morning. Going to spend Wednesday night in the High Sierras and then the Alabama Hills on Thursday night. Plan on stopping in every small town and taking a look around. Most of the time we are just driving by on 395. Looking forward to giving the new 3" sleeping pad a test run. So far the bed is only thing I am not happy with in the Hawk.

See everyone Friday afternoon. Any place I should not miss gong down 395?

Bill

Bill, I replaced my foam with HR35 foam and even though it's not perfect, it's much better than before. With the old foam I would get sore spots on my leg and shoulder, not anymore. I used a locate reupholster because I was too lazy to exchange the foam. He also put a small layer of mesh between the foam and the upholstery. Cost me $400 and was worth it. I originally went to him with the idea of a complete new reupholstry and 6 inch foam but that would have been expensive and he talked me into the HR35 foam. You can check it out in San Mateo

billharr said:

Any place I should not miss gong down 395?

Bill
Bristlecone Pine Forest, Manzanar, Movie Museum in Lone Pine, Fossil Falls. I could go on and on with a little more reflection. Best fuel prices of late have been at the Indian station just north of Independence.
Y'all staying at TT's? We're right close by.

ntsqd said:
Bristlecone Pine Forest, Manzanar, Movie Museum in Lone Pine, Fossil Falls. I could go on and on with a little more reflection. Best fuel prices of late have been at the Indian station just north of Independence.
Y'all staying at TT's? We're right close by.
Added Fossil Falls to our stops. TT's offer is temping, Mrs TT makes a great yellowtail..Ceviche had it at Meadow Lake. But we want to be farther north, wife may have jury duty and have to make a long drive back.

Bill,
Check out Randsburg. Old mining town about a mile off 395. To right. Gold and silver mine above town. Mine closed in the 50's.

If you go that way. 395 splits at 14. 14 takes you through L.A. - Orange County.to San Clemente.

If you are going 14, you could still see Randsburg. Than retrace your steps back down the hill, cross rail road tracks, than take 1st left. Connector to 14 ( about 8 miles).

Tom, Stan,

Wow, that's generous! Thank you so much!!!

All packed up. Will drive up around noon to avoid the traffic.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Ok FWC of the SoCal Rally 2014...... this is JOHN. Simpleman or shanz3n5. Here or expedition portal. Great people, food and rigs on this last rally. I am not your pic video or computer guy by far, but i think it would be great if another that was could put somthing together in slide show or video to back billhars video of last year. Another would be a confidential to owners only list of contacts. At this years walk around a lot of good qwstns were asked and answered. But im sure some r like me..... I forgot who answered what. Some probably due to WA Moonshine Marine and buddy haha. So i will be the first to throw out contact info.
John Shanley. Corona Ca. 2009 Granby. 2003 Charcoal 2500 Chevy w built utility bed. shanz3n5@gmail.com. Text only to start to 951-545-2809.

Back
Top Bottom