Spring has arrived

Casa Escarlata Robles Too, thanks for the tip on the eagles at Heenan. We were up there recently and walked in the road. A stiff cold wind out of the east drove us back. We dropped down the front of the dam, out of the wind, and sat and had lunch. We will stop by again as we did not see the eagles. We have four pair of balds nesting in our general area. They are always wonderful to see.

All four robin chicks have survived this far. The nest is overflowing.

gallery_1902_252_70703.jpg

The male robin has taken to dive bombing me every time I come out of my shop.

gallery_1902_252_222545.jpg

It takes both parents full time to keep the grub coming. They should fly in a couple of days.

gallery_1902_252_113494.jpg

I had two families of birds, think they were finches or something, living in my porch overhang thing. It really needed to be torn down, was slowly rotting away but I just couldn't bring myself to kick the birds out. Wonder what the new owners will do:unsure:

It started on the 30th, one chick was bold enough to perch on the edge of the nest.

gallery_1902_252_47889.jpg

There was jostling for position in the nest, stretching of wings, and occasional flurries of wing beats. Yesterday morning, the 31st, I was able to get a group photo.

gallery_1902_252_36837.jpg

The next time I looked up there were only three. The father robin continued his harassment each time I moved outside.

gallery_1902_252_83081.jpg

The adults' behavior changed yesterday. The amount of active feeding slowed. Mom robin did continue her, we would think disgusting, regimen of keeping the nest clean.

Only one chick is left this morning, perched beside the nest. It is time.

<snip>
Only one chick is left this morning, perched beside the nest. It is time.

And now gone; a family raised and little ones have found their wings.

Yes Ski they grow up so fast.Just like our own children,you have to enjoy them while you can,before they also leave the nest.
Thanks for the photos of the robin's progress it was fun to watch the birds through your camera.

Frank

I'm surprised the young ones still look like that when they leave the nest. (Unless the departure was temporary, just testing their wings, to return home later)
I guess I thought they'd have the plumage of mature robins...but I don't know why I thought that.
blink.gif

The low temperature this morning at my house was 29°
ohmy.gif

But it's normal in Bend (based on long-term averages) for the last freeze of the season to occur in June...even mid-June.

Central Oregon vegetable-gardeners can't take spring for granted. (though I don't even try...
tongue.gif
)

We had a pair of hairy woodpeckers nest in an apple tree in our orchard. It's an old tree and I think they just enlarged an existing cavity. It's been fun watching mom and dad ferry beakfulls of insects to the young.

Mom

Dad

Daughter

Son

We thought they were ready to fledge, but were glad they didn't when an unseasonable late spring storm dumped 1.5" of rain and hail, along with a tremendous lightning show. My garden got hammered :(

The babies must have left yesterday because we don't hear their constant whimpering for snacks anymore. :D

Follow up comment.

The young have fledged now, at least three days ago. All is quiet in the orchard again.
Except for the deer munching on my grape leaves, and the rabbits, and the many birds including frequent plaintive cries of the flicker who's taken up nearby residence!

I went to the tree where the woodpeckers have had their residence. We had watched the female throw out mouthfuls of splinters when she enlarged the space back in April.

We marveled how the adult could go inside the smallish tree, maybe 8-9" diameter with the young. How do they turn around in there? They go in head first and exit facing out, sensibly. Plus two kids? Sounds like time for a room addition.

Yesterday I approached the abandoned tree. Nobody home anymore. The closest I had come was about twenty feet while photographing them, after several weeks of getting them accustomed to our presence. We work in our garden daily, which is only thirty feet away or I would not have been noticing this whole event under my own nose.

I tapped on the trunk. It's hollow about a foot down from the entrance. This old apple tree, probably thirty years or more old, has been nearly hollowed out inside. I've lived here ten years and when I got here nobody had pruned for fifteen years before that. It's a smallish tree that used to give me decent yields of red, wine flavored apples, but now it's raised a family of woodpeckers. A great way for this little patch of earth to carry forward another generation.

Nice photos and your patience paid off. They must have been a pleasure to watch, unlike the flickers that insist on tearing into our shake roof. And I feed the birds too. Murr

Great family photos, Andy! Very cool.

Weather in Central Oregon in this last week of spring looks very nice. :)
Weather_20120613-1.jpg

Summer solstice occurs June 20, 4:09 pm PDT.
cool.gif

Back
Top Bottom