Spring has arrived

Time for the pagans to get naked and celebrate!

The local foothill rivers are full of people doing just that. We're in our early summer (late spring I know) mode of going to the river after work for a refreshing swim. Later in summer the rocks get slimey with algae, so this is prime time for river season. Really nice that the timing works well with the extended daylight around the solstice.

OK, spring is past -- on with summer! :)
We need a new thread for that...

We are having our first sunny day of June. Oh, wait, it's clouding over again. Well it was a nice morning!

Time to revive the Springtime Thread. Here in the Sacramento Mountains, we've had a sure sign of spring - our first forest fire. Fortunately, we had cold temps last night and the fire lay down, so they are starting to get containment. They are concentrating on the areas near structures, of course.

http://nmfireinfo.co...13-1625-update/

Someone who just came off the fireline said he thought containment was closer to 30 percent.

Time to revive the Springtime Thread. Here in the Sacramento Mountains, we've had a sure sign of spring - our first forest fire. Fortunately, we had cold temps last night and the fire lay down, so they are starting to get containment. They are concentrating on the areas near structures, of course.

http://nmfireinfo.co...13-1625-update/

Someone who just came off the fireline said he thought containment was closer to 30 percent.

Boy,you are sure having some big time fire seasons.How many springs has it been with early fires?
Hope all is safe for you.
Frank

Boy,you are sure having some big time fire seasons.How many springs has it been with early fires?
Hope all is safe for you.
Frank

Thanks, Frank. All is safe for me, so far. Unfortunately, it looks like a bad fire season throughout the West. Even more unfortunately, this may be the new normal. The Sacramento Mountains had the Little Bear fire last year, the Mayhill fire and a fire in Ruidoso the year before (all major fires). I'm starting to lose track. Ummm, there was the Peñasco fire, the Scott Able fire and numerous smaller fires in the last decade.

Yes I know we have beaten spring to death,but this is for our members who are still"spring challenged".
Hope these pictures put some sun in your day.
Hang in there the warm weather is on the way.But soon after it gets to where you are ,I am sure you will wish for some cooling.
Hope all are having a good week end.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN5938.jpg
    DSCN5938.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN5949.jpg
    DSCN5949.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN5951.jpg
    DSCN5951.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN5952.jpg
    DSCN5952.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN5954.jpg
    DSCN5954.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 74
Three more that didn't make the first download.
These are some of the first "new"harbor seals of the season.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN5956.jpg
    DSCN5956.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN5958.jpg
    DSCN5958.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN5960.jpg
    DSCN5960.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 68
...our members who are still "spring challenged"....

"spring challenged", like in central Oregon? It snowed in Bend a few days ago...
rolleyes.gif

..but I was (and am) visiting Savannah, Georgia where "unseasonably cold" means 70°
wink.gif

Thanks for the photos. :)

We had 24"- 48" of snow last week in the Vail Valley (depending on elevation, of course). Wet, heavy snow. Just what the doctor ordered.

Sounds like more coming as well...

Attachments

• IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 47
Sure would like to see some of that rear stuff here.Well in the mountains anyway.Not sure it would be welcome in the Monterey Bay area.
You guys have some of the craziest weather there is.Snow than 70*(Denver area)
Frank

"If ya don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes".......and "Colorado, where your frontside burns at the same time yer ass freezes off" are a couple sayings you'll here out here in the hills from time to time. We were 60'ish with no snow on the ground before this hit. Definitely one of the largest snowfalls in my 23 years in this house. Dropped the temps from 50's-60's into the 30's with teens at night...slowing the melting of the snowpack....and sending us from 70% to over 90% "normal' moisture. Vail Mountain reopened for the weekend for skiing...as did Breckenridge.

The weather "up here" on the Western side of the divide is completely different than Denver. This was one of those times when >everyone< but the SW part of the State got hit.....but on many, many instances, if you see Denver has a blizzard going on, there's a really good chance it isn't snowing at my house in the VV at all.

:LOL:

What month is this anyway? It snowed here a few days ago, it's cool-not cold at night and real nice in the afternoons-unless you are in the shade, and it might hit the 70's by the end of the week. I was over on the Oregon coast for a while and it rained at night and in the the mornings, real nice afternoons-but real nice weather to have a FWC to climb in to at night and with nice days to explore the place! I would still be there but I got an infected tooth (spent a few days sick in the FWC) and had to :LOL:power back here to Susanville to get the damn thing taken care of. I would say this is typical spring weather-but it's not, it to early to be this hot, and it may be nice and green with all the spring plants up and about, but it doesn't feel right. Be thinks the climatic cycles are a bit messed up and with the snow pack the way it is, a long hot fire summer will soon be on us. Anyway, more time to explore out there and just hope for the best-I guess!

Smoke

The official low temperature this morning at the Redmond airport was 16°F
ohmy.gif
That tied a record low for the date. Yep, that's spring in Central Oregon.
rolleyes.gif

(that's Redmond, Oregon, the one that's 14 miles north of Bend, not the Redmond that's the home of Microsoft)

Now try this! Reno weather just said this is the most dry spring we have had since 1947! :eek:But it's so cold here in Susanville this morning, and supposed to be hot this afternoon! My old bones don't know what to feel anymore, but as long as I can drive my FWC and still have adventures is what counts I guess!

Smoke

.......................... but as long as I can drive my FWC and still have adventures is what counts I guess!

Smoke

Yup, no more worrying, let's go camping :D

Some spring visitors.Saw the Tiger Swallowtail butterfly out in my garden sipping on some nectar.Than caught the
House Wren bring home some food for the family.
Over to Pt.Lobos and caught this mother Goose with 7 very young ones walking across the ice plant.Little guys had a hard time of it,but mom was not in a big hurry.
Sorry for the poor quality of the goose.Didn't have my normal camera.
Spring is here in a big way.Temps in the 70s/80s on the coast.I saw this morning Rochester,Minn. snowing like mad.At least there might be more water in the river this year.
Loving it!!
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4494.jpg
    DSCN4494.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN4495.jpg
    DSCN4495.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN4496.jpg
    DSCN4496.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4498.jpg
    DSCN4498.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN4500.jpg
    DSCN4500.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN4501.jpg
    DSCN4501.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 46
I saw this morning Rochester,Minn. snowing like mad.At least there might be more water in the river this year.
Loving it!!
Frank

Frank, some parts of SE Minnesota and western Wisconsin got over 15 inches of the white stuff. Missed us fortunately- just rain here. Definitely a slow start to spring around here. I did get in a day of fishing in a fast running muddy Rush River last weekend. Mostly casting practice, haha.

Back
Top Bottom