The Wildlife Photography Thread

Andy, here's an example of DOF at play. The head of the harrier, where I had the focus point, is quite sharp, but each of the wingtips is slightly blurry because of the very shallow depth of field in the image. If I would have had more light, I could have stopped down. At f8, I suspect all would have been acceptably crisp.

15807332197_a39d8fcf31_c.jpg

I got out to the local refuge today. The rains start again tonight, so I wanted to get a little photography in...

Here's a nice juvenile red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis).

16045722212_87043e6372_c.jpg

And a sneaky American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus)

15859583349_30924de6d9_c.jpg

K6ON said:
How about an albino turkey...

img_110568_4_917930cbd250a0a72be498e9e7c33594.jpg
I believe thisis a leucistic bird rather than an albino. Regardless, VERY cool!

Leucism is a condition in animals characterized by reduced pigmentation. Unlike albinism, it is caused by a reduction in all types of skin pigment, not just melanin.

Mr.Sagebrush, thanks for the clarification. Whatever condition it has, it sure stands out from the rest of the group :)

We had to make a trip to Sacramento on Sunday. But I talked my sweetheart into adding in a birding session since we were in the valley. We went to the Woodbridge Ecological Preserve, about 25 miles south of Sac.

We chatted with other observers while waiting for the fly in at sunset. A nice couple from Grass Valley told us the reserve was much wetter than other years and they wondered where the sandhill cranes would settle for the night. There were numerous ducks in the shallow waters: coots, shovelers, mallards, plus avocets and a few egrets.

Occasionally a raptor would fly over the water and all the waterfowl would get excited.

Here's a northern harrier, harrying the locals

The light got dim and I pulled off my TC (teleconverter costs 1 stop of light) from my slow 400 5.6 lens.

At last a pair of sandhills came gliding by with their unmistakable flight

http://www.lighthawkphoto.com/Nature/Birds/Birding/i-MpbmGtJ/A

The highlight of the evening was watching a pair of SHC do their famous dance.

This was our first time visiting. I would like to return under better lighting conditions.

It was sunny (believe it or not!) here in the Portland area, so The Bride and I got out to the refuge. It was a bit slow, but I got a couple of keepers...

16274402802_a3739c755f_c.jpg

15655410693_7fe5fa8e3f_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom