The Wildlife Photography Thread

Great Egret, just about too much lens :p

_D4S2082-Edit.jpg

I already have 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 TC's and a 200-400 f/4 so it may be a while. From what I have seen the 300/2.8 is a sweet lens, but with the 600 and 1.4 TC maybe I can finally get some wolf shots in Yellowstone when I go this summer.

I sold my 200-400/4 to fund the 300/2.8. It's a much sharper lens, both close in and at distance. My 200-400 was soft at distance, but razor sharp in close.

PaulT said:
Sounds like a plea for yet another camera body. :unsure:

Paul
Actually I have a D4s and two D800E's, but I like the ISO sensitivity of the D4s and use it most of the time for wildlife. Of course if I do mount up a couple of bodies I have to figure out how to carry them around in my Truck. ;)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I sold my 200-400/4 to fund the 300/2.8. It's a much sharper lens, both close in and at distance. My 200-400 was soft at distance, but razor sharp in close.
I've been happy with my 200-400 but I heard the earlier ones were a bit soft.

Jeeze, you guys are even bigger geeks than me. Charlie, I took a a look at your website, very impressive. It didn't say where you live but it mentioned the Smoky Mts. which are basically the birthplace of my love for the outdoors. I grew up in Nashville.
Andy, the link to your site doesn't seem to be working, at least not in firefox.
In the meantime I've been playing with my new lens. As the ice has receded in the local ponds in the last couple of weeks we've seen a return of some of our feathered friends. The population of mergansers seems to grow every day, and I particularly love it when they fly directly across my lens.
Really enjoying all your photographs.
p1757156433-5.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, Steve. I fixed the broken link for my site and added a hot link to my sig line.

Yes, Mr. WS that is a western scrub jay. We've got them at lower elevations in town, while higher up in the woods we have the stellar jays.

Out to the refuge today, trying for a bit of shooting before the rain returns...

A nice adult female Northern Harrier grabbing some air...

24654432595_8873e901dc_c.jpg

And a nice flight of Tundra Swans...

24654621025_0c7b1bc95d_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom