The Wildlife Photography Thread

Gull on a piling

JrHpCRTR8ctxre1FsjpjB4ydHGvgxJZOJrKS5gN0QEWyiFp0iRHlUo14noU9GG9GF-KsBe8o_EozJCxYkIjmyk2AArNEKCMXjFYyxUm9LUqYAgy7mJ4KxaT8mpPs6yGD1tBxeHcJhreU6XiXsyFlFg05G-cCtpniwOql2c5ZafScBYX4GJaNGEtfZOUPiO-ZV566QZKWAB2-SKJvaPM8EGpDq4PAs26Ush1gCbs_TygziPkyEUt9OuZ-vAmteTvG8toQdw4soKRWbiHA8QTJRAR1S_rW4c-Wv8BxzFWkANiav0lOBJ7qvkCddAYhyZCXdx6TA2iQ_Q3yLSCqH_s8ULw8PgPar1RqwfCOpc4oS-IkZc3FNaTF84a95mY6ALOFh0ZPmg8SokIDjJL0qumNsOT57CaAG55jorjrMkow2wfkck-iRfVwRx7gVDkmArmhOMSJtxtQi9Rm66X2KwD_W8m-z5aDT30yYEXc9iq3A51d3dDc7iJ8dqybbf1CvVlvAEbOskm0zemi8N94waFua8iqqV0IFaE98rZY8yz_8ZwZxvFdv_JFaWEHBFLUJIpme3FhJuO5bix8BY8g-y-83maiIucSaCsxeuCdiVZxMbtMk9_RL01x=w900-h599-no

Northern harrier, seen this evening down at the rice fields.

_R0A0436-L.jpg

_R0A0427-L.jpg

The Sierra Nevada Range is living up to it's reputation, as viewed from the Central Valley.
_R0A0504-L.jpg

Geese are largely gone, but I did see a one large group of snow geese at rest. Usually, the end of January means most birds have left.
Glass: 100-400 II, mounted to Canon 7DII.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Being a dyed in the wool photography addict, I thought we needed a Wildlife Photography Thread. Hopefully, the mods will put a sticky on this. My public images are hosted on Flickr, then linked to WTW so we can save some space on the WTW servers. I hope others will chip in and contribute.

Here's my backyard photography from today. An adult bald eagle driving off a juvenile, and a northern harrier female hunting.

12125511496_fb31cd5a36_c.jpg

12125635825_8021b4e229_c.jpg
Wow very cool pictures. I have a lot to work on.

Jody, thanks for the 'Wow'. While technique is important, knowing where to go and how the subjects behave is equally (if not more) important. You have some excellent refuges near you, and winter is a great time to be there. I believe Bear Valley has an auto tour route. If you don't have a bean bag for shooting from your vehicle, that is one of the first things I would get.

If I remember correctly, you shoot Canon. The Canon 100-400 lens that Andy mentions is an affordable and excellent lens for wildlife photography.

Have fun, but be careful... It's addictive :)

Lighthawk said:
Northern harrier, seen this evening down at the rice fields.

_R0A0436-L.jpg

_R0A0427-L.jpg

The Sierra Nevada Range is living up to it's reputation, as viewed from the Central Valley.
_R0A0504-L.jpg
Wonderful shots Andy! My goodness, Pyramid, Agassiz, and Price really stood out from your location!

ski3pin said:
Wonderful shots Andy! My goodness, Pyramid, Agassiz, and Price really stood out from your location!
Thanks for the peak ID. I thought that must be Pyramid, but it's quite a distance from Marysville to South Tahoe.
So, from left to right: Agassiz, Price, then Pyramid.

I just checked and it was 78 miles as the crow flies to see this view. I didn't think the atmosphere was particularly clear either.
80mileview-L.png

Yes, to get the foreground sub-peaks aligned as you did, I calculated you must have been in the Marysville area. A little correction, from left to right - Mt. Price, Agassiz, and Pyramid Peak. Agassiz is not named on the 7.5 quad - it was on the old 15' series - and some us still keep the name alive.

These three peaks are the high points on the southern end of Desolation Wilderness' Crystal Range.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Nice shots Frank! Did you get the fly rod out for the cutt?
Yes and no.
Had it along but these guys are so skiddish a shadow will spook them
I did throw a grasshopper in and the trout went wild after it.
I have managed to catch a Yellowstone cut a time or two.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom