The Wildlife Photography Thread

Thanks Steve. I might actually start contributing to this section more often now. We bought the Nikon P900. One negative with it is that it does not shoot RAW. But we still do not have any photo editing software, so that really wasn't an issue for us.

Ted said:
I have been thinking about upgrading my DSLR, but Mrs. Ted's Point and Shoot was having issues so got priority. We replaced it before a recent trip with a highly rated Nikon that has lots of optical zoom. Below is an unedited JPG of a male Frigate bird. Below that is a highly cropped photo of just the eye from the same JPG. You can clearly see a number of people lined up shooting photos of this bird. I'm so happy with this P&S, may not need to replace my DSLR.

gallery_176_163_384681.jpg

gallery_176_163_103069.jpg
Good job Ted! Where did you find Frigate birds? :)

Ted said:
Thanks Steve. I might actually start contributing to this section more often now. We bought the Nikon P900. One negative with it is that it does not shoot RAW. But we still do not have any photo editing software, so that really wasn't an issue for us.
Fed please let me know how you like the P900.
I have a P90 and looking to upgrade.
Frank

ski3pin said:
Good job Ted! Where did you find Frigate birds? :)
Oh, you know, we just for a walk down by the American River.

Just kidding. Still sorting through over 2000 photos from a trip to The Galapagos Islands. Truly one of the most amazing places in the world.

Frank, so far we really like the camera. The only issue we have had so far is the screen kept blacking out on Donna. but when I would use the camera it didn't happen. We finally realized what was happening. The camera automatically switches between the view finder and the view screen by sensing the proximity of your head. I use the view finder, so was always close to the camera and it remained in the view finder. Donna uses the view screen, but occasionally her head gets too close to the camera while setting up the shot on the screen and it switches to the view finder. Once we figured that out we can work with it. Still, I'd like to find out if we can lock it on one or the other. Need to do some more research.

Edit - found it. Simple setting change. :)

Thanks Ted.
I like the Nikon products. I have had good use out of the P90.
I like the "point/shoot" style and also the view finder is a must.
Would like to find one that takes AA batteries.
Frank

Yesterday we were sitting having some lunch when the DJ of our favorite station said a listener call in and said the whales are off Marina SB feeding. Well we put down out food and drove the 5 miles to the beach
and watched them for an hour or so.
What a treat. We get the "humps"in the bay most years but when the food "ball"is close to shore you can sit on the dunes and watch the action.
Frank

DSCN8685.jpg

DSCN8706.jpg

DSCN8705.jpg

DSCN8702.jpg

More from the archives. Taken with the Nikkor 200-400/4, a lens that I loved and hated at the same time. Way too soft at distance, tack sharp in close.

Soaking up the morning sun...

33874197544_1f0a800092_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom