The Wildlife Photography Thread

I am devastated by the loss of Snowy, 399's only cub this year. I have been following her for a few years through the posts of some of my photographer friends and she has had her share of loss due to human interference. I hope she has one more litter because she is a great mom and her genes will help the species.
Great shots all of you!

A little backyard photography. Took a break from the agricultural endeavors at the beach. Got the lawn mowed, raked and baled. Mole eradication is underway.

This is a male Wilson's Warbler in breeding plumage.

27747840032_b5335cce6d_c.jpg

We are hoping to get out for a week or two in the next few days, but until then... it's into the archives. An unpublished red crossbill portrait from a couple years ago...

28087393475_bb9e030ec8_c.jpg

Timothy McGowen said:
With such a shallow depth of field, any tips on how you get such a nice sharp focus on the eye?
Tim, the bird is about 15 feet out, so yes the DOF is minimal. I shoot spot focus nearly all the time, and since this was shot from a blind at a stationary subject, it was easy to pick the eye as my target. I also use a Wimberley gimbal head on a good tripod, and that helps a lot.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am using the Nik tools to reduce noise and sharpen the output.

The bokeh (blur) and background separation are also a function of longer focal length and wider apertures. Examples start at 200/2.8 , 300/2.8, 400/2.8?, 500/4, 600/4 . . . . ... ... ...

So, is it normal for the bird's beak to be crossed like that? I'm assuming it is with a name like red crossbill. I've never seen that before; thanks for sharing.

GroovyDad said:
So, is it normal for the bird's beak to be crossed like that? I'm assuming it is with a name like red crossbill. I've never seen that before; thanks for sharing.
For this species, it's normal. As I understand, it helps them pull seeds out of cones.

We've seen a red crossbill in Sierra Valley once. When I looked at the shot on my monitor I thought he needed a better orthodontist. :eek:

Blowing own horn here . . . :ninja:
I just received the latest marketing video from Feather River Land Trust who I work with as a photog.
They have done a stellar job of securing three key properties on the north side of the Sierra Valley where the headwaters of the middle fork of the Feather are located. We've been visiting the area for the last decade. They used my images from May 2016, and a few others to create this slide show. Hope you enjoy. [caveat: image quality seems to be degraded due to compression]

Lighthawk said:
We've seen a red crossbill in Sierra Valley once. When I looked at the shot on my monitor I thought he needed a better orthodontist. :eek:

I just received the latest marketing video from Feather River Land Trust who I work with as a photog.
They have done a stellar job of securing three key properties on the north side of the Sierra Valley where the headwaters of the middle fork of the Feather are located. We've been visiting the area for the last decade. They used my images from May 2016, and a few others to create this slide show. Hope you enjoy. [caveat: image quality seems to be degraded due to compression]

https://youtu.be/OUD05TPITDM
You have good reason to blow your horn! Using your photography to further a conservation effort is something of which to be very proud! Congratulations and well done!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
You have good reason to blow your horn! Using your photography to further a conservation effort is something of which to be very proud! Congratulations and well done!
Yes! :)

Start with A23 to access Marble Hot Springs Rd. / Dyson Lane, where you will find the iron bridge.
Get out and walk at the bridge and along the dirt road to really get a chance to admire the scene and spot wildlife.

Heriot/Harriet Lane north of Loyalton is a good spot to see birds. It narrows to a series of one lane bridges, but often there's no one coming and you can just stop in the middle of the road.

The Maddelena Ranch, on the north end of the valley, off A24 has parking at an old corral. You can walk in on the Feather River Land Trust property to a bird viewing platform.

In late spring/early summer you can see migratory birds. Later in the fall the raptors can be plentiful.

http://www.frlt.org/experience-land

Lighthawk said:

Good work Lighthawk. I enjoyed the video and your photography. As a career conservationist I can appreciate the work that goes into protecting these kinds of places. Job well done.

Back
Top Bottom