Well it's time to get rid of Winter and onto Spring

I've been in this continual thunderstorm for 8+ hours now -- 2 of those hours driving and towing my camper, much of that with wipers on high. Camped now in a state park southeast of New Orleans.
There were/are flash flood watches, so I asked the check-in lady at the park: "Flooding here?" She told me that the last time the park flooded was in Katrina in 2005. OK, good.
But what REALLY has me worried is the form the storm has now taken: a giant locust! :O. That can't be a good sign...

IMG_20210323_210808.jpg

IMG_20210323_210644.jpg

But seriously... it is kind of exciting when you can feel the concussion of the thunder inside the 'house'. I'm glad the Park attendant told me it rarely floods here... being at just 2 ft above sea level and less than a mile from the Mississippi River. ;)

ski3pin said:
Let us know if you need a few more feet of elevation. We have some to spare. Stay safe Mr. BC!
Thanks for the offer, Mr 3pin. I do have 2 sets of Lynx Levelers with me so in a pinch I could increase my elevation above sea level by almost 50%!
:D

Having lived in Orleans and Plaquemines Parishes, I’ve been through a couple of the thunderstorms you describe, but never experienced the dreaded locust version. Consequently, I have little advice other than to keep the kayak handy, and be ready to move if the water starts rising. Be safe Mr. BC.

In the wee hours of the morning, storm temporarily calm, I looked outside with a flashlight to see if my wheels were still on the asphalt or if I was floating. All was well.
And yet, as recent as a couple of hours ago there was still mighty thunder. :O
Rain has stopped, at least for now. Big puddles on the grass and ground but no flooding.

IMG_20210324_093014.jpg

IMG_20210324_093055.jpg

The forecast calls for more storm to start up again, though milder, this afternoon.

craig333 said:
... Does your trailer float?
Craig, that hasn't been tested yet... But it's fiberglass and kinda looks like an ark, so maybe...? ;)
IMG_20210303_185653.jpg

ski3pin said:
Mr. BC, the storms around you have been the lead story on the Weather Channel.
Cool! I wonder if a TV news crew will be coming through the campground to see how us 'homeless' weathered the storm..

Wandering Sagebrush said:
... I have little advice other than to keep the kayak handy, and be ready to move if the water starts rising...
Kayak: It probably has a few gallons of water in it, from rain falling into the open cockpit while on the rack. Yes, I have a cockpit cover -- one specifically made for it by the manufacturer. But the elastic/drawstring of the cover doesn't hold tight enough to the coaming to stay on at highway speeds. It has a strap that goes around the belly of the boat, but that only keeps it from being completely blown off and lost.
First time: I didn't know that there was a lot of water in the boat after a Southern downpour.. And when I started to pull the boat down off the rack (on top of my truck) the unexpected significant extra weight surprised me -- and I more-or-less dropped the kayak on the pavement. :O No harm done except for a few scratches, but I didn't enjoy it.
Until I get a cover that stays put at 65+ mph... I have to get up on the tailgate, loosen the straps and invert the boat while it's still on the rack cradles to empty it. Then I can safely unload it.

If they can fly helicopters on Mars... Why can't they make a cockpit cover that really clings to the coaming?!

I'm thinking of trying tiny C-clamps to hold the cover in place.

Mark, if the kayak cover has a loop to aid stretching it over the coaming, use that to tie to some of the deck bungees. You might also make a small opening in the cover sleeve, and add some tension in that bungee. Maybe take a zip tie and wrap it around a small loop in the bungee to add tension.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Mark, if the kayak cover has a loop to aid stretching it over the coaming, use that to tie to some of the deck bungees. You might also make a small opening in the cover sleeve, and add some tension in that bungee. Maybe take a zip tie and wrap it around a small loop to add tension.
Steve I did have such a loop and I used it just as you suggested. I don't have a loop anymore - it broke while driving.
Maybe I'm driving too fast..? :D

I'll figure something out.. Me smart! I R inguneer!
Just wish I didn't HAVE TO jury rig it. The fact that they supply a belly band (suggested for use when transporting) to keep it from flying away and being lost shows that they know it may not stay on.

MarkBC said:
In Bend we don't consider it reliably spring until well into April... May, if you want a sure thing.
Many times we have experienced Mayuary................................
never count on a sure thing.

We got out for our first "Spring" trip this past weekend. Figured a good Covid-escape would be to do some more volunteer work for our local desert protection group - Oregon Natural Desert Association and later on in April for the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife. They need warm bodies to count sage-grouse at their various remote lek sites. After our Sunday morning count (0 is a valid number) we moved camp to this beautiful saddle with fantastic views in all directions, laughing at the 20% chance of snow.
Pics from Sunday and Monday morning....welcome to spring in the Great Basin.

Attachments

• SpringSprung21.jpg
    SpringSprung21.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 57
  • PreDawnLekView.jpg
    PreDawnLekView.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 51
CraggyMan said:
We got out for our first "Spring" trip this past weekend. Figured a good Covid-escape would be to do some more volunteer work for our local desert protection group - Oregon Natural Desert Association and later on in April for the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife. They need warm bodies to count sage-grouse at their various remote lek sites. After our Sunday morning count (0 is a valid number) we moved camp to this beautiful saddle with fantastic views in all directions, laughing at the 20% chance of snow.
Pics from Sunday and Monday morning....welcome to spring in the Great Basin.
Looks like a perfect spring day! But...where do you put your boat in?

Back
Top Bottom