Meteorological Winter

Thanks for the pictures.
I think how many times I have traveled that pass in the past several years and no snow at all.Should be a good year for the lakes.But I bet the camp areas won't open until later summer.
I remember the 94/95 winter one of the last that the Sierra had such record snow fall, one of our favorite places along hwy 4 Ebbetts Pass area ,Mosquito Lake still had 3-4' snow along the road 4th July.
Frank

An impressive and cool-looking wind-up off the coast out in the Pacific today:

VCG15-19452017031.jpg

From this link.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
And remember the "FAT RODENT" will give his view of winter/spring in a few days.
Frank
Still nice and sunny here. Just got back from a nice long walk at Pt. Lobos.
There were wild Iris already in bloom plus some corn Lilly.
Strange.
Frank

In the central Sierra Nevada in California - Feb. 1st, 2017 manual snow survey results for water content -

The average for the Mokelumne River Basin is 125% based on the Feb 1st surveys.
The average for the American River Basin is 128% based on the Feb 1st surveys.

ski3pin said:
In the central Sierra Nevada in California - Feb. 1st, 2017 manual snow survey results for water content -

The average for the Mokelumne River Basin is 125% based on the Feb 1st surveys.
The average for the American River Basin is 128% based on the Feb 1st surveys.
Cool! Good for California!
I haven't looked at Oregon's current snowpack recently...but the fact that we've had record snow down in Bend must mean that the mountains are doing well, at least, too.

Photography at the Hide out Ranch, Wyoming it has been snowing the past three days. Clear this morning at minus 15. The ranch people say they can't remember when they had this much snow.

Meanwhile back home still waiting for ten working days with no weather to get part of the roof removed for new trusses. Most winters that would not be a problem, buy been trying for over two months now.

Another round of wet storms coming through with heaviest rain Tuesday with rising snow levels..,................Warm and wet.

ski3pin said:
Another round of wet storms coming through with heaviest rain Tuesday with rising snow levels..,................Warm and wet.
I think we've had nearly two inches today. It seems similar to a cow and flat rock sort of event. Per the forecast, we may have snow tonight, followed by freezing rain Wednesday.

It was a nice day in Bend today, got up to the low 50s and mostly sunny. Windy, but not a bad day for early Feb. Strangely, my friends in Portland said it was a lot colder there -- odd for it to be colder there than Bend. Must be cold air coming down the Columbia Gorge...

Flood Watch
Code:
FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
405 AM PST MON FEB 6 2017

CAZ016>019-066>069-070000-
/O.NEW.KSTO.FA.A.0003.170207T0600Z-170209T0000Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
CENTRAL SACRAMENTO VALLEY-SOUTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY-
CARQUINEZ STRAIT AND DELTA-NORTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY-
NORTHEAST FOOTHILLS/SACRAMENTO VALLEY-MOTHERLODE-
WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK-
WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA-
405 AM PST MON FEB 6 2017

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WATCH FOR A PORTION OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA...INCLUDING
  THE FOLLOWING CARQUINEZ STRAIT ...AND DELTA...CENTRAL
  SACRAMENTO VALLEY...MOTHERLODE...NORTHEAST
  FOOTHILLS/SACRAMENTO VALLEY...NORTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY...
  SOUTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY...WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA
  AND WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK.

* FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

* A PROLONGED PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN IS EXPECTED ACROSS
  THE INTERIOR OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA LATER TODAY INTO EARLY
  WEDNESDAY. THE COMBINATION OF SATURATED GROUND, HEAVY RAIN AND
  SOME SNOW MELT WILL RESULT IN LARGE AMOUNTS OF RUNOFF INTO
  RIVERS AND STREAMS.

* SIGNIFICANT RISES IN RIVERS AND STREAMS DRAINING THE WEST SLOPES
  OF THE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA CAN BE EXPECTED BEGINNING TONIGHT.
  ELSEWHERE, FLOODING OF POOR DRAINAGE AREAS AND FLOOD PRONE
  CREEKS AND STREAMS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE SOUTHERN
  SACRAMENTO AND NORTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEYS.

Looks like we are all in for some very heavy rain totals the next several days.
Hope the snow level isn't to high.
Don't need a lot of rain on the snow pack.

Maybe it's time to seriously look into those plans for my Ark.
Frank

Dang! I thought we were past this! :cautious:
:rolleyes:

WINTER STORM WARNING FOR CENTRAL OREGON
... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 3 PM PST TUESDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PENDLETON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 3 PM PST TUESDAY.
* LOCATIONS... BROTHERS... PAULINA... PRAIRIE CITY... SENECA... LA PINE... SUNRIVER... BEND... MADRAS... PRINEVILLE... REDMOND.
* ICE ACCUMULATIONS... LITTLE OR NO ICE ACCUMULATION EXPECTED.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 4 TO 7 INCHES IN CENTRAL OREGON AND THE OCHOCO JOHN DAY HIGHLANDS. 6 TO 10 INCHES ALONG THE EAST SLOPES OF THE OREGON CASCADES.
* TIMING... LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP DURING THE PREDAWN HOURS TUESDAY MORNING... SPREADING NORTH REACHING REDMOND AND SENECA BY AROUND DAYBREAK. SNOW WILL QUICKLY BECOME MODERATE TO EVEN HEAVY AT TIMES TUESDAY MORNING ACROSS THE AREA. THE SNOW THEN TAPERS OFF TO SHOWERS BY TUESDAY AFTERNOON.
* IMPACTS... ROADS WILL QUICKLY BECOME SNOW PACKED AND SLIPPERY. HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES ARE POSSIBLE DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE.
* WINDS... SOUTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES... IN 20S... RISING INTO THE LOWER 30S TUESDAY AFTERNOON.
* SNOW LEVEL... BELOW 2000 FEET TUESDAY MORNING. RISING TO 3000 TO 3500 FEET TUESDAY AFTERNOON.
* WEB PAGE: FOR A DETAILED VIEW OF THE HAZARD AREA VISIT HTTP://WWW.WRH.NOAA.GOV/MAP/?WFO=PDT.
  • Issuing Office: Pendleton Source: National.Weather.Service
    2:05pm PST, Mon Feb 6
Oh well...Yesterday and today were sunny, if a little windy. Good weather to be outside working on pre-trip prep of my camper and truck. A trip to an area where the highs have been 70 - 80F. :)

Snowflakes have begun to fall lightly already here...

Back
Top Bottom